Zoners: Problem areas

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners

What QB problems does ROMO need to work on?

I must be a DUMB, BLIND and DEAF Cowboy fan BECAUSE I don't see anything wrong with his game!
:star:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1826627 said:
Zoners

What QB problems does ROMO need to work on?

I must be a DUMB, BLIND and DEAF Cowboy fan BECAUSE I don't see anything wrong with his game!
:star:

I don't see any real weakness in his game. If I could think of anything maybe do better about protecting the ball when moving around but then I don't want him becoming overly mechanical in his play

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1826640 said:
He doesn't protect the ball well when scrambling.

I agee with you on that one......and almost put it.

But, he is trying to make a play and as a qb how can you protect against a player who has broke loose and hitting you from behind.

The OL has to do a better job of screaming at ROMO he is about to be hit.....what ever that key word is....I am sure they have one!

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1826640 said:
He doesn't protect the ball well when scrambling.

Thats really the only flaw i see with him i cringe when i see him scrambling with that ball hanging out

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think his lack of protecting the ball comes with the territory.

When Romo is scrambling, he constantly has his eyes downfield trying to make a play downfield and thus still holds the ball in 1 hand.

I think to change that, would be extremely unnatural for most QBs with Romo's scrambling ability and penchant for making big plays downfield once a play has broken down.

I think he does a pretty good job protecting the ball once he has decided to run for extra yardage though.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Spiking the ball and getting a 5 yard penalty because his center caused a delay of game :eek:

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1826650 said:
I think his lack of protecting the ball comes with the territory.

When Romo is scrambling, he constantly has his eyes downfield trying to make a play downfield and thus still holds the ball in 1 hand.

It's not about how many hands he has on the ball, it's about how close to the body he holds it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1826659 said:
It's not about how many hands he has on the ball, it's about how close to the body he holds it.

That is probably true, I never played QB but I would think it would be extremely unnatural for a guy to hold the ball close to his body when he has his eyes downfield and still trying to make a pass.

The new NFL.com takes to dang on long to load (assuming they provide that stat), but it would be interesting to see where Romo ranks in QB fumbles.

I don't think he has fumbled more than most QBs.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
His biggest flaw appears to be his inability to date both Jessica and Carrie at the same time.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Joe Rod;1826867 said:
His biggest flaw appears to be his inability to date both Jessica and Carrie at the same time.

The "Player" lifestyle is extremely overrated IMO.

[I am going to duck now]

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1826873 said:
The "Player" lifestyle is extremely overrated IMO.

[I am going to duck now]

Well, I've been married for the last ten years, so I am certainly asking Romo to do as I say, not as I do. Needless to say, when I told her of my "off-market" status, Jessica was very upset. ;)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Joe Rod;1826886 said:
Well, I've been married for the last ten years, so I am certainly asking Romo to do as I say, not as I do. Needless to say, when I told her of my "off-market" status, Jessica was very upset. ;)

:lmao2:

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1826680 said:
That is probably true, I never played QB but I would think it would be extremely unnatural for a guy to hold the ball close to his body when he has his eyes downfield and still trying to make a pass.

The new NFL.com takes to dang on long to load (assuming they provide that stat), but it would be interesting to see where Romo ranks in QB fumbles.

I don't think he has fumbled more than most QBs.

Yeah, NFL.com sucks now.

I wouldn't say that Romo fumbles more than other QBs, I just think he can improve on it without affecting the way he plays.

As far as stats, it's kind of a crap shoot trying to analyze. Here's a breakdown of a couple players that demonstrate the different types of play.

Romo
7 fumbles, 19 sacks, 23 rushes for 101 yards

Roethlisburger
8 fumbles, 38 sacks, 31 rushes for 178 yards

Young
7 fumbles, 20 sacks, 75 rushes for 343 yards

Brady
4 fumbles, 16 sacks, 25 rushes for 82 yards

Campbell
13 fumbles, 21 sacks, 36 rushes for 185 yards

Harrington
0 fumbles, 32 sacks, 14 rushes for 33 yards

Kitna
15 fumbles, 49 sacks, 21 rushes for 55 yards

You can't tell much from these stats.

Kitna, Harrington and Roethlisburger get sacked more than anyone else, but while Kitna turns the ball over like a madman, Roethlisburger who scrambles more than Kitna, has half as many fumbles and Harrington who scrambles less, has none.

Brady, Romo and Campbell all get sacked about the same amount, but though Brady scrambles just a bit more than Romo, he has half as many fumbles and while Campbell scrambles less than Romo, he has twice as many fumbles.

Young, who has 3 times as many rushes as Romo, equals him in fumbles.

It all seems pretty inconclusive because going by stats alone you can't tell when sacks are when the QB is moving or stationary, when it is a called QB running play or just necessitated by defensive pressure.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1826894 said:
Yeah, NFL.com sucks now.

I wouldn't say that Romo fumbles more than other QBs, I just think he can improve on it without affecting the way he plays.

As far as stats, it's kind of a crap shoot trying to analyze. Here's a breakdown of a couple players that demonstrate the different types of play.

Romo
7 fumbles, 19 sacks, 23 rushes for 101 yards

Roethlisburger
8 fumbles, 38 sacks, 31 rushes for 178 yards

Young
7 fumbles, 20 sacks, 75 rushes for 343 yards

Brady
4 fumbles, 16 sacks, 25 rushes for 82 yards

Campbell
13 fumbles, 21 sacks, 36 rushes for 185 yards

Harrington
0 fumbles, 32 sacks, 14 rushes for 33 yards

Kitna
15 fumbles, 49 sacks, 21 rushes for 55 yards

You can't tell much from these stats.

Kitna, Harrington and Roethlisburger get sacked more than anyone else, but while Kitna turns the ball over like a madman, Roethlisburger who scrambles more than Kitna, has half as many fumbles and Harrington who scrambles less, has none.

Brady, Romo and Campbell all get sacked about the same amount, but though Brady scrambles just a bit more than Romo, he has half as many fumbles and while Campbell scrambles less than Romo, he has twice as many fumbles.

Young, who has 3 times as many rushes as Romo, equals him in fumbles.

It all seems pretty inconclusive because going by stats alone you can't tell when sacks are when the QB is moving or stationary, when it is a called QB running play or just necessitated by defensive pressure.

Good stuff.

I cannot think of the last time that I had a hard time listing things the current Cowboys QB needed to work on when someone has started a "What does our QB need to work on?" Thread.

We are truly blessed to have such a high quality player at QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not sure about this but are the shotgun snaps that have gone over Romo head charged as a fumble?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1826906 said:
Good stuff.

I cannot think of the last time that I had a hard time listing things the current Cowboys QB needed to work on when someone has started a "What does our QB need to work on?" Thread.

We are truly blessed to have such a high quality player at QB.

Agreed.

Last year this time I was saying he needed to work on his checkdowns to the runningbacks. After the buffalo game this year it appears he has taken care of that. Some of that last year was also on the RBs, who would be too close to the LOS or not in an open window for Romo. It's kind of hard to get them the ball when he has to lob it over the defensive linemen's hands and the linebackers are closing in on the RB from behind. This year they give him more of an easy target, which may be Garrett's doing.

Something he could work on is setting his feet after he gets outside of the pocket. There have been times when he had plenty of time to get his feet set rather than continuing to run toward the sideline while throwing the ball, because there weren't any pursuers within range. This may have more to do with him not knowing if he had someone closing in from his blindside than anything, so I can't fault him for it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1826935 said:
Agreed.

Last year this time I was saying he needed to work on his checkdowns to the runningbacks. After the buffalo game this year it appears he has taken care of that. Some of that last year was also on the RBs, who would be too close to the LOS or not in an open window for Romo. It's kind of hard to get them the ball when he has to lob it over the defensive linemen's hands and the linebackers are closing in on the RB from behind. This year they give him more of an easy target, which may be Garrett's doing.

Something he could work on is setting his feet after he gets outside of the pocket. There have been times when he had plenty of time to get his feet set rather than continuing to run toward the sideline while throwing the ball, because there weren't any pursuers within range. This may have more to do with him not knowing if he had someone closing in from his blindside than anything, so I can't fault him for it.

I believe I heard on the Radio or during WP's Press Conference yesterday that Romo said the Buffalo game helped him to not force passes against the Lions.

In the Buffalo Game, the FB was open most of the game and Romo started hitting him in the 2nd half.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1826913 said:
Not sure about this but are the shotgun snaps that have gone over Romo head charged as a fumble?

I believe they fault it to the center.

After checking, it looks like Gurode has the only fumble in the Rams game and two fumbles in the Washington game.