Zoners, tell me why this is a crazy idea to stop the eagles...

visionary

Reaction score
OK, hear me out

I think we can all agree that conservatively McCoy is responsible for 50% of the philly offense and that a lot of their other offense is predicated on misdirection based on what he has done in the game

and he is the outlet for vick when he gets into trouble

we also know that Bruce Carter has elite athletic ability but hasnt learned the defense yet

So

why not use Carter to neutralize Mccoy?

Carter is in the game on every play McCoy is in the game and his ONLY job is to go tackle McCoy on EVERY single play

not to hit him hard

just stay under control, not get faked out but take McCoy out of the play

even if McCoy is not getting the ball, he is a RB, go tackle him and take him out of the play

if the pocket breaks down and vick starts running, still Carter goes for McCoy not vick

so Carter 1 on 1 with mcCoy

the rest of the team plays with the rest of the philly offense

this way vick will make a few plays but it will completely throw philly off, take away Vick's outlet, force Vick to throw more, and while they adjust, we can get up on them

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Tackle McCoy on every play really.
If he were tackled on every play I would bet there would be penalty flags for:
Unsportsman like conduct
Illegal contact
Holding

If he isn't involved in the play why would you want him tackled.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I've posted this like a hundred times already. Use Carter to shadow McCoy first (the run), and Vick second (ie if it's a pass). I disagree that One player should always shadow another. That's NFL suicide. Teams will easily figure this out, counter, decoy your player out of the play, and now you're at a disadvantage.

visionary

Reaction score
panchucko;4328390 said:
Tackle McCoy on every play really.
If he were tackled on every play I would bet there would be penalty flags for:
Unsportsman like conduct
Illegal contact
Holding

If he isn't involved in the play why would you want him tackled.

i mean take him out of the play every single play

carter can get physical with him in the backfield and within 5 yards of LOS without risk of penalty

not talking about late or dirty hits

this will get vick looking elsewhere and make them one-dimentional and that is what we want as a defense

if you can use one player to negate mcCoy, that is well worth it in this game IMO and I think that Carter can do it

visionary

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;4328394 said:
I've posted this like a hundred times already. Use Carter to shadow McCoy first (the run), and Vick second (ie if it's a pass). I disagree that One player should always shadow another. That's NFL suicide. Teams will easily figure this out, counter, decoy your player out of the play, and now you're at a disadvantage.

not sure what you mean

if they are going to use McCoy as a decoy, then we are effectively taking him out of the offense which is what we want

also, the rest of the team is not reacting to McCoy only Carter is so the decoy would not work very well

why would this be "NFL suicide"?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
visionary;4328384 said:
I think we can all agree that conservatively McCoy is responsible for 50% of the philly offense

I'm flashing back to a time when teams tried to shut down Emmitt.

visionary

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4328410 said:
I'm flashing back to a time when teams tried to shut down Emmitt.

difference was, Emmitt was a north south runner, running behind a dominant OL, up the middle

McCoy often runs on the edges and often catches passes in the flats or on screens

you can shadow him with someone but that someone would need to be very athletic and a sure tackler

point is, our defense needs to do something within the scope of the defense that throws the philly offense off for long enough for our own offense to get going

instead of reacting to them, make them react to us

sbark

Reaction score
It might have its use in certain down and distance situations, but If one of our Lb's followed him out into the flats every time, we'd only have one lb in a deep drop to cover the middle where they killed us last time we played.

Unless of course you trust our cb's to cover their wr 1-1 and then bring the Safeties back into the middle.

Also I'd say given time, McCoy could dash for the flats, let the rest of the recievers take deep patterns, with McCoy coming back on a crossing pattern and no-one in the NFL could cover that in that much space, maybe an elite cb but not a LB

It all comes back to Ware, Rat etc, but they cant pin thier horns back with the little trap play to McCoy either.....but we need to pressure Vick with the front 4, with little blitizing, or very creative blitizing that gets there.

The NFL chess game.....its why the coaches get the big bucks

visionary

Reaction score
sbark;4328434 said:
It might have its use in certain down and distance situations, but If one of our Lb's followed him out into the flats every time, we'd only have one lb in a deep drop to cover the middle where they killed us last time we played.

Unless of course you trust our cb's to cover their wr 1-1 and then bring the Safeties back into the middle.

Also I'd say given time, McCoy could dash for the flats, let the rest of the recievers take deep patterns, with McCoy coming back on a crossing pattern and no-one in the NFL could cover that in that much space, maybe an elite cb but not a LB

It all comes back to Ware, Rat etc, but they cant pin thier horns back with the little trap play to McCoy either.....but we need to pressure Vick with the front 4, with little blitizing, or very creative blitizing that gets there.

The NFL chess game.....its why the coaches get the big bucks

good points

however, as soon a mccoy dashes for the flats, carter goes with him (since mccoy is his only responsibility) and meets him at or behind the LOS and disrupts his crossing pattern or never lets him get into the pattern

he is allowed to get physical with him within 5 yards of LOS

the only problem i see is if phily lines mccoy on the LOS as a WR
in that case, maybe someone like scandrick would have to take him

but again, you are forcing philly out of their game and making them adjust to us just by putting one player on mccoy

and you are forcing vick to throw the ball

and taking away his outlet

you can still bracket cover jackson (with OScan and safety), single up the other 2 WRs with jenkins and newman and cover celek with the other safety/lee

again, it makes philly react to us

Reaction score
What in Bruce Carter's sparkling NFL career makes you think he is capable of consistently winning 1 on 1 matchups with the most elusive back in the NFL?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Robert_California;4328533 said:
What in Bruce Carter's sparkling NFL career makes you think he is capable of consistently winning 1 on 1 matchups with the most elusive back in the NFL?

Well, our savvy veterans haven't demonstrated that they can do it. I'm sure the OP is referring to Carter's athleticism, not experience. I'm for trying something different early on. If it doesn't work, scrap it before we're hurt by it too much. It can't be any worse than last time anyway.