Zoners: The proof is in the pudding

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners: Do you REALLY know why our Cowboys struggled last year?

After I read this very good article, it was easy to see that bad drafting starting in 2006 has finally caught up with our Cowboys!

Carpenter is the only draft pick they mentioned for us in 3 years--Un real drafting Zoners!

I believe some of you guys should run our draft room--I AM SERIOUS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6528474

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
142051d1253497850-cider-potassium-sorbate-homer-drool.gif

Mmmm. Pudding.

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3950534 said:
Zoners: Do you REALLY know why our Cowboys struggled last year?

After I read this very good article, it was easy to see that bad drafting starting in 2006 has finally caught up with our Cowboys!

Carpenter is the only draft pick they mentioned for us in 3 years--Un real drafting Zoners!

I believe some of you guys should run our draft room--I AM SERIOUS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6528474

The answer is easy. Wade Phillips.

Mash

Reaction score
I dont know....if it was the past drafts that caught up on us and thats why we struggled last year.

IMHO it came down to some bad coaching....not just Wade but the whole crew....but Romo being injured hurt us last year more then anything and we had alot of players buying the hype and never played like we expected them too.

Look at how many players struggled.....Jenkins...our LB's....our DT's....Spencer....Biggs....Columbo....Barber....etc

Was it coaching that caused this? Perhaps.....but the players have to be accountable too...

It wasnt because this team wasnt talented enough....majority of NFL people thought this team was one of the most talented teams in the NFL....so IMHO the past draft had nothing to do with our struggles last year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'll go with undisciplined coaching. The proof in the pudding is the turnaround as soon as Garrett was installed and added discipline and accountability.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Statistically we match the Patriots in percentage of draft picks that are currently on our roster. I can put up the numbers but I've mentioned it in a couple other threads before.

We also match the Packers in the number of starters that are either drafted or UDFAs.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Doug Free is also now listed as a first round pick if you look at their 2007 draft. Spencer is listed as #38 which isn't much of a fall into the 2nd round.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile;3950583 said:
I'll go with undisciplined coaching. The proof in the pudding is the turnaround as soon as Garrett was installed and added discipline and accountability.

Yes, this is true and the largest part of the equation.

But our failure in the 2009 draft truly came home to roost. That was an all-time bad draft and we got zero payoff from it.

From Jason Williams to Robert Brewster to Michael Hamlin and the rest of the rubbish. Remember, at this time last season, the idea was actually that Michael Hamlin in particular was in the running for the starting free safety job with Alan Ball.

You can talk about accountability, but we also made serious serious errors in personnel evaluation. It should not be surprising since we tend to do that immediately after we experience any sort of success.

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;3950589 said:

But our failure in the 2009 draft truly came home to roost. That was an all-time bad draft and we got zero payoff from it.

From Jason Williams to Robert Brewster to Michael Hamlin and the rest of the rubbish. Remember, at this time last season, the idea was actually that Michael Hamlin in particular was in the running for the starting free safety job with Alan Ball.

You can talk about accountability, but we also made serious serious errors in personnel evaluation. It should not be surprising since we tend to do that immediately after we experience any sort of success.

It still came down to coaching. The team was healthy but still 1-5. No discipline, no accountability. Phillips was just a bad head coach.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's the snowball effect. Enough things go bad and the whole thing falls apart.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;3950589 said:

R. Brewster, S. McGee, V. Butler, B. Williams, D. Buehler, J. Phillips, M. Johnson, and Roy Williams doesn't qualify as an all-time bad draft. Granted they are not superstars but there some solid players there and we have had much worse drafts.

Alexander

Reaction score
Anjinsan;3950593 said:
It still came down to coaching. The team was healthy but still 1-5. No discipline, no accountability. Phillips was just a bad head coach.

Yes, he was.

But Jason Williams and Robert Brewster were bad choices. So were most of the other part of that truly Dirty Dozen. It was an all-time bad draft that made our entire talent pool dip.

Alexander

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3950605 said:
R. Brewster, S. McGee, V. Butler, B. Williams, D. Buehler, J. Phillips, M. Johnson, and Roy Williams doesn't qualify as an all-time bad draft. Granted they are not superstars but there some solid players there and we have had much worse drafts.

Solid players? Where?

Solid players are not second and third string lifers. I like Butler the most but I am not going to pretend he's just some superstar in waiting. Same for Phillips.

When your top two picks are off the team (for all practical purposes in the case of Brewster) and biggest contributor after two seasons is a kicker, it is an all-time bad draft. I will not even get into the ridiculous notion of Roy Williams. We gave up a first round choice for a third receiver, at best.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Ok, if you believe coaching issues was the root of our problem last year did you at least take a look at the team totals?

27 Dallas Cowboys -292

Our Cowboys rated 27th best drafting team during this period.......well, Wade was the head coach, but, I am not sure how much say he had in these drafts.

I just believe we must start doing better, and I noticed this years draft seemed to be much more professional, organized, and a goal.

Did this have anything to do with Coach Garrett? Yes, I strongly believe it :starspin

Mansta54

Reaction score
Hostile;3950583 said:

Winner winner chicken dinner!! :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;3950589 said:

No way am I going to conclude one bad draft has that big of an impact in year 2 unless you can show me some other correlations or examples.

You've got to show me where we intended in 2009 for those guys to be starters and how that fell apart. Otherwise it is simply bellyaching about a bad draft, which it clearly was.

Still 7 of those players have played a role on this team. I think we tend to over value a single draft more than we should. But coaching cannot be under valued.

It is rare that good drafts put a team over the top and just as rare that bad drafts sink one as bad as 2010 was sunk. I'll put the greater weight of failure on the Head Coach, and evidence bears me out. Once the coaching change happened the same Draft picks who were part of a 1-7 team turned in a 5-3 performance to close the season and came within 2 whiskers of 7-1.