ZONERS: This clown believe BROWNS will win

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Browns, Bucs look like decent fits for glass slippers
By Hub Arkush (hub@pfwmedia.com)
Aug. 20, 2007

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2007/harkush2208.htm

Why is it such a given in pro football today that each season is going to treat us to a Cinderella or two? Probably because of the last 58 division titles since 1999, no fewer than 14 have been claimed by clubs that finished last, or tied for last, in their division the prior season.

In fact, in six of the past eight NFL seasons, at least two division titles have been won by clubs going from worst to first, with 2000, when only one team accomplished the feat, and ’02, when no team was able to turn the trick, being the exceptions.

In 1999, the Colts went from 3-13 in ’98 to 13-3, and the Rams became the “Greatest Show on Turf,” coming from 4-12 to go 13-3 and win a Super Bowl. In 2000, the Saints were the lone team to make the jump, going from 3-13 to 10-6. In 2001, it was Chicago jumping from 5-11 to 13-3 and the Patriots climbing from 5-11 to 11-5 and a Super Bowl victory.

After the ’02 hiatus, 2003 saw the Panthers jump from 7-9 to 11-5 and the Chiefs making a move from 8-8 to 13-3. In ’04, the Falcons improved from 5-11 to 11-5, and San Diego went from 4-12 to 12-4. In ’05, it was the Bears again jumping from 5-11 to 11-5 and Tampa Bay enjoying identical improvement. Last year, the Ravens (who tied the Browns for last in the AFC North in ’05, although technically third due to the tiebreaker) went from 6-10 to 13-3, the Eagles went from 6-10 to 10-6 and, in one of the biggest surprises of all, the Saints climbed from 3-13 to 10-6.

All these turnarounds seem to make the odds very significant that, from the ’06 season’s group of cellar dwellers — Miami, Cleveland, Houston, Oakland, Washington, Detroit, Tampa Bay and Arizona — at least two are going to win their divisions.

The question is: Which two?

Let’s start by eliminating Oakland and Miami. It would seem the minimum requirement for the kind of improvement we’re talking about is to accomplish more good than bad during the offseason.

Lane Kiffin may eventually be a great coach in the NFL. In fact, the early reviews I’ve heard are promising. But the bungling of the Raiders’ coaching search, combined with any barely reasonable learning curve for Kiffin and the inability to get even close to signing first-round draft pick JaMarcus Russell as of this writing, leaves the Raiders, at the very least, a year away.

In Miami, I have very serious reservations about the résumés of Randy Mueller and Cam Cameron as the guys to craft the Dolphins’ resurrection. Leaving Brady Quinn on the board to claim Ted Ginn Jr. was less than awe-inspiring to me. More importantly, worrying about wide receiver when the offensive line has been a disaster area for years should have eliminated any hope for Fish fans, at least until 2008.

There are those of you who have jumped on the Lions’ bandwagon ever since Jon Kitna and Mike Furrey each promised between 10 and 12 wins, and I can see where hope could spring from. George Foster and Edwin Mulitalo are nice upgrades on the offensive line, Calvin Johnson is for real and the Lions have got some good-looking kids on defense. But, of all the defending division champs, is any less likely to falter than the Bears?

I think the Commanders face a similar problem. The Eagles certainly could falter if Donovan McNabb goes down again. But while I am not among them, there are many who believe the Cowboys are the club to beat, and the Giants were a playoff club last year, as well. The Commanders will need a ton of skill and luck to leapfrog all three of those teams.

The Texans intrigue me, and I can make a case for the Colts taking a few big hits, considering they’ve already lost their Pro Bowl left tackle and the heart of their defensive line. But I’ll take Matt Schaub over Peyton Manning the next time “Dubya” wins an election. And while Seattle is anything but a lock in the NFC West, the Cardinals are, well, the Cardinals.

So, let’s go with the Browns to win the AFC North because Eric Steinbach was a great pickup, and when Kellen Winslow Jr. and Braylon Edwards live up to their potential, Brady Quinn will have all the security blankets he needs to become the team’s QB of the future. The Ravens could be great again or could flip right back to 6-10, the Bengals continue to have a greater need for parole officers than celebration-party planners, and Mike Tomlin is going to have to find out Pittsburgh isn’t preschool before he’s ready to win.

And the Bucs will win the NFC South because they weren’t nearly as bad as their 4-12 record last year, compiled mostly with a sixth-round draft choice from Toledo at quarterback; they’re much faster and younger on defense this year; and Jon “Chucky” Gruden is still actually a pretty good football coach. I like Carolina, but after last year, don’t you really have to wonder if the team’s Super Bowl window has closed? The Saints were a great story in ’06, but are they a great team? And does anyone believe the Falcons aren’t a disaster waiting to happen?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Not this year they won't. Their division is too strong and they are too beat up and inexperienced.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Somebody wants to play the averages, like pulling the lever on slots till your pockets run dry.

The Browns may win more than 3-4 games, but there are holes in that team and it's not real likely that everything will gel at once.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
The Browns top out at 8-8 and if that makes them cindy, fine, but .500 is their Mt.Everest in 2007.

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
They've got Brady Quinn, they're going to win. Some people win, some people lose, Brady Quinn wins. Winning is infectious. If they win 6-7 this year, they're winners. Then just wait for 2008 and see what kind of winners they are then with another year under Quinns belt.

I hate the Browns more than anything and want to always see them lose. Them and the Packers, lose, lose, lose, lose! But the sad reality of it is, they aren't going to be losers any longer after that trade with us.

And for the record, hate Notre Dame and hate College Football in general. I'm not some homer fan of Quinn. I see what I see and I see them going far with this kid. All you have to do is look in his eyes and see that he's got "IT".

A year ago Quinn was the handson favorite to be Mr. Everything and the next great thing to happen to this league. I just wonder if most of you see what's really happen here, because Quinns play didn't diminish any in that time. The pretty white boy quarterback VS. the flava of the day black quarterback, is what happen. One emerged literally out of nowhere and so fast it became instyle to dislike the other one. I mean seriously, a guy is on having his 4th stellar season starting in a prostyle offense, the sky is the limit, and out of nowhere comes a flavorful black quarterback that virtually no one had ever heard of before.. Does a couple of fancy, shiny things in a big game or two and suddenly dreams of the next Vick, the next Young, the next McNabb, are dancing through everyone's head. And still, the delusion continues, as Quinn holds out for a miniscue amount of time VS. JRs still being a hold out and who is the one who the internet and world ignites around being in the wrong? I guess because JR is black he doesn't have to play by the same rules, doesn't need the preseason and is just ready handsdown for the big leagues without any preparations. Yah, right..

Browns 7-9 (11-15th 2008 Pick)
Raiders 2-12 (1st Overall 2008 Pick) (PS. They steal McFadden from us)
Cowboys 13-3 (Last Overall 2008 Pick + Browns Mid-1st Rounder Pick)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Quinn is their 3rd QB at this point. That means Frye or Anderson will be leading this team most likely until they are convinced they are out of the playoff picture. That might mean Quinn gets in there before the 8th game. Even then it is a high risk because they are playing with a patchwork OL due to injuries.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Ok... so lets see they have a magical season... I dont believe they will but... lets say..

Do we bundle both of our #1's for a high #1 to get RUN DMC?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick;1598263 said:
Ok... so lets see they have a magical season... I dont believe they will but... lets say..

Do we bundle both of our #1's for a high #1 to get RUN DMC?
I wouldn't be at all shocked if that happened. I also wouldn't be shocked if we passed on that idea to stick with what we have and addrsssed other needs with both picks.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;1598266 said:
I wouldn't be at all shocked if that happened. I also wouldn't be shocked if we passed on that idea to stick with what we have and addrsssed other needs with both picks.

Yeah... I am torn... if DMC is all he is cracked up to be then I am in... a GREAT RB would be a GREAT addition could take this team to a dominant level.

Then... on the flip side.... get 2 BLUE CHIP first rounders, major contributors...

I guess its gonna come down to.... how does Jerry/Wade feel on draft day... LOL

tough call... 2 first rounders is quantity.... not necessarily quality.... I lean toward the potential of the ONE(potential great quality)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick;1598297 said:
Yeah... I am torn... if DMC is all he is cracked up to be then I am in... a GREAT RB would be a GREAT addition could take this team to a dominant level.

Then... on the flip side.... get 2 BLUE CHIP first rounders, major contributors...

I guess its gonna come down to.... how does Jerry/Wade feel on draft day... LOL

tough call... 2 first rounders is quantity.... not necessarily quality.... I lean toward the potential of the ONE(potential great quality)
Whoa, 1st round doesn't make you a blue chip. Usually there are only 5 to 8 blue chips at the most in any draft class.

I like McFadden because I see him as an ultimate weapon. He can run, catch, and throw. I've always wanted to see HB passes. Imagine he takes off on a sweep and suddenly stops, sets, and throws. For every game after that the defense has to respect the throw and that leaves them vulnerable to the sweep.

I'd be just as happy if we keep both picks and get a WR and CB who start here for 10 years.

sago1

Reaction score
Well you had better hope MCF can play CB next year if we have to give our both first rounders for him.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;1598306 said:
Whoa, 1st round doesn't make you a blue chip. Usually there are only 5 to 8 blue chips at the most in any draft class.

I like McFadden because I see him as an ultimate weapon. He can run, catch, and throw. I've always wanted to see HB passes. Imagine he takes off on a sweep and suddenly stops, sets, and throws. For every game after that the defense has to respect the throw and that leaves them vulnerable to the sweep.

I'd be just as happy if we keep both picks and get a WR and CB who start here for 10 years.

My apologies... I was using "blue chip" loosely... I guess its all the media "dribble" that I been listening over the years about a players potential/status/premature HOF declaration before he is evein drafted in round 1 :laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
sago1;1598321 said:
Well you had better hope MCF can play CB next year if we have to give our both first rounders for him.
Because...

...1st round is the ONLY round where a contributing CB can be drafted?

I'm hazy on this. What are you talking about?

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
My brother is a Browns fan believe it or not and every Sunday we watch the Boys and Browns play. I have seen every Browns game the last 3 years or so...

They have made great improvments over the last few years even though it hasnt really shown up in the win/loss column.

On defense they have Kamerion WImbley and Andra Davis who are both STUD linebackers. They have a safety in Sean Jones who should have made the probowl last year and one of the more underrated CB's in Leah Bodden.

Offensively they have a very good wr/TE set with Jurevicious, Winslow and edwards. Jamel Lewis is a "solid" runningback and they have a franchise LT now with Joe Thomas and a very good Eric Steinbach.

So the point is this isnt like the Dave Campo Boys' teams where you really couldnt find a good player on the roster. They have some really good players.

Now having said all that I think they finish between 6-8 wins but this year I am hoping they go 0-16.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
Jaxonsdaddd;1598366 said:
My brother is a Browns fan believe it or not and every Sunday we watch the Boys and Browns play. I have seen every Browns game the last 3 years or so...

They have made great improvments over the last few years even though it hasnt really shown up in the win/loss column.

On defense they have Kamerion WImbley and Andra Davis who are both STUD linebackers. They have a safety in Sean Jones who should have made the probowl last year and one of the more underrated CB's in Leah Bodden.

Offensively they have a very good wr/TE set with Jurevicious, Winslow and edwards. Jamel Lewis is a "solid" runningback and they have a franchise LT now with Joe Thomas and a very good Eric Steinbach.

So the point is this isnt like the Dave Campo Boys' teams where you really couldnt find a good player on the roster. They have some really good players.

Now having said all that I think they finish between 6-8 wins but this year I am hoping they go 0-16.

i have to agree with you about wimbley and davis, especially wimbley, he is a BEAST. I think the browns are a very underrated team, talent wise, especially with the potential of their new rebuilt O Line. I would not be suprised to see 8 or 9 wins from them this year

zeromaster

Reaction score
Their DL is creaky and I'm hearing increasingly that maybe Crennel's decision making is not quite head-coaching calibre. There does seem to be some of the hesitancy to play some people because they might make a mistake (sound familiar?).

It will be interesting to see if they move Derek Anderson in the next couple of weeks and have Dorsey or Quinn as #2 entering the season. The most reasonable assumption is that Frye would start on a short leash and Quinn would see action in the game before the bye, then start afterwards. All subject to the W/L column of course.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sorry but Quinn is a rookie and there defense is awful. Payton Manning is the best QB of the modern era and even he was awful his first year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hostile;1598164 said:
Quinn is their 3rd QB at this point. That means Frye or Anderson will be leading this team most likely until they are convinced they are out of the playoff picture. That might mean Quinn gets in there before the 8th game. Even then it is a high risk because they are playing with a patchwork OL due to injuries.

If I was a betting man, and I am, I would assume that the Cleveland coaching staff is in a win now mode out of necessity. I think Brady Quinn gets elevated to the starting QB staus the very minute that the coaching staff thinks he gives them the best chance to win. I would not doubt that could be as early as game one, if the coaching staff thinks he is better than the other QB's on the roster.