Zoners: what is up with our Rookie LB?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners: During the draft, ota's and training camp all I could read on this board was positive feedback from our coaches/fans/experts.....you name it :banghead: about what a steal Penn State LB Sean Lee was for our Cowboys.

We are currently 0-2 :mad: heading into a hostile Houston Texan matchup with a couple of LBs, not calling names (James/Brookings) who have shown time after time that covering a tight end is not their strong suit. Recently, these two have a difficult time in deciding who (if anyone) will cover the visiting teams TE:confused:

Do you Zoners feel that we got a ball player in Lee OR is he going to make us all feel like Barbie Carpenter?

I say we should put the kid in the actions. If he is so smart and keeps his head in the play book as all reports indicate--then he is mentally prepared--right? I AM JUST ABOUT SICK LIKE WADE!:mad:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to get in the game when you are on the sidelines in civvies. :cool:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
casmith07;3578696 said:
Lee ≠ Carpenter. Lee actually hits people.

That is so true.....in the preseason game he would plug the hole fast.....shed the block and make a game saving tackle.

What is our professional coaching staff seeing on the tape that a seasoned fan is not visualizing?:)

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3578707 said:
That is so true.....in the preseason game he would plug the hole fast.....shed the block and make a game saving tackle.

What is our professional coaching staff seeing on the tape that a seasoned fan is not visualizing?:)

Probably everything else - he probably needs to learn the scheme better before he can be trusted.

Then again it makes you wonder if he's the kind of player you just kind of let him play...like Polamalu - just let him run around and hit people and make things happen irrespective of the scheme.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Time will tell, but I'm wondering if the Cowboys selected the wrong Penn State LB. Navarro Bowman seemed to be getting a lot of PT on Monday night and he seems to be an ideal nickle LB. I also believe Dallas had a first round grade on him.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
His decline from favor was so rapid I am beginning to wonder if maybe his injury isn't a little more serious than previously though. I can't imagine why the guy wouldn't at least be suited up for ST and emergencies if not.

canters

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing.....it is strange that they cannot find a place for him even on special teams. He was advertised as very smart and quick to learn. I hope it is not a mental thing.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
texbumthelife;3578714 said:
His decline from favor was so rapid I am beginning to wonder if maybe his injury isn't a little more serious than previously though. I can't imagine why the guy wouldn't at least be suited up for ST and emergencies if not.
how can you play special teams if you cannot run? Running FULL speed is mostly what special teams is all about. Have you guys ever had a pulled/strained hamstring. You simply cannot run. And running on it before it is healed will only blow the whole thing out if it is only a strain!

BigD

Got 5? We do!
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere he tried playing on the hurt hammy and declined to tell the trainers it was acting up again thus setting him back further. Between that and not knowing the D he isn't dressing I guess.

Reaction score
He hurt himself on the first punt we had against Washington, then didn't tell the trainers and coaching staff, so he aggravated it by playing on it. That's why he couldn't go against Chicago. There hasn't been much talk about it outside of the post game presser against Washington with Wade, so I think people are thinking that he has just been practicing badly, especially since at the end of training camp the coaches were having him learn both ILB spots in the base defense, and people took that to mean that he had been playing poorly as the nickel LB.

Aven8

Reaction score
casmith07;3578709 said:
Probably everything else - he probably needs to learn the scheme better before he can be trusted.

Then again it makes you wonder if he's the kind of player you just kind of let him play...like Polamalu - just let him run around and hit people and make things happen irrespective of the scheme.

We had that player in Roy Williams and that didn't work out to well. Ofcourse I'm not sure we let him do any freelancing like he did in college!