Zoo wants Chimp to stop smoking

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Apr 15, 2005 — JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African zoo is trying to persuade its star chimpanzee to kick a bad smoking habit.

Charlie, a grown male chimp and the Bloemfontein Zoo, has been picking up cigarettes thrown to him by visitors and smoking them — a habit he probably picked up by observing humans, zoo officials told the SAPA news agency on Thursday.

"Baby chimps pick up habits by mimicking adults and we think he started mimicking smokers at his enclosure which probably led to smokers throwing him cigarettes," spokesman Daryl Barnes told SAPA.

Barnes said Charlie was already showing the signs of a true nicotine addict.

"He even acts like a naughty schoolboy by hiding the cigarette when staff approach the area," Barnes said, adding that the zoo was determined to help him quit.

Barnes said the most important thing was that people stop providing Charlie with cigarettes or any other treats, noting the chimp already had three bad teeth because of all the cans of sweet soft drinks that people throw at him.

Charlie is not the only smoking chimpanzee. A zoo in the Chinese city of Zhengzhou reported last year that one of its chimps had taken up smoking and was desperately bumming cigarette butts off visitors

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So how do they get him to stop? The patch? Nicotine gum?...Should the chimp go to Smoker's Anonymous?:D

Do they have monkey dentists? Maybe the chimp w/the cavities can get fillings?:D

Hoov

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
"He even acts like a naughty schoolboy by hiding the cigarette when staff approach the area," Barnes said, adding that the zoo was determined to help him quit.

Charlie is not the only smoking chimpanzee. A zoo in the Chinese city of Zhengzhou reported last year that one of its chimps had taken up smoking and was desperately bumming cigarette butts off visitors

That is too funny. I wonder what else visitors could slide him. lol

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
So how do they get him to stop? The patch? Nicotine gum?...Should the chimp go to Smoker's Anonymous?:D

Do they have monkey dentists? Maybe the chimp w/the cavities can get fillings?:D
I can't stop laughing long enough to reply :lmao:

k19

Reaction score
Princess said:
If the chimp quits.... I'll quit

:grin2:

I was thinking the same thing to myself. If Bonzo can quit so can I

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› said:

Ahh...another person I don't believe lol

k19

Reaction score
I'd quit now but then I'd have nothing to do at work all day, darn Government jobs :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› said:
So you guys hang around zoos bumming cigs off visitors?:D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woody'sGirl said:

Some jobs make you feel like you are in a zoo lol.

k19

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:

Naw we hang out at zoos and bum off the chimps. Zoos, aquariums, carnivals, offramps all the same for a bum

74will_work_for_food.jpg