Zune 80GB vs. iPod 80 GB

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Got a question for all of you mp3 player users out there. Let me know what you think.

Which player do you guys like or prefer... the new Microsoft Zune 80GB player, or the new generation iPod classic 80 GB player? I have been trying to decide which of these to buy for about a week now. Anyone who has either of these two players I would very much appriciate any info or comparisons you can give me of the two. Thanks alot guys, hope to see some replies!

Kangaroo

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;1925812 said:
Got a question for all of you mp3 player users out there. Let me know what you think.

Which player do you guys like or prefer... the new Microsoft Zune 80GB player, or the new generation iPod classic 80 GB player? I have been trying to decide which of these to buy for about a week now. Anyone who has either of these two players I would very much appriciate any info or comparisons you can give me of the two. Thanks alot guys, hope to see some replies!

I bought my wife the 30gb zune and she like it. I am not a big apple fan so I may be bias. I was actually looking at the Archos 605 (They have a 160gb one now)with wifi during christmas but I need to wait have other things I need more. The archos does have a few things about it that can be frustrating like having to buy plugins for certain media types. If it was mean spending the money I personaly would get the Archos
http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-players-pvps/archos-605-wifi-160gb/4505-6499_7-32477557.html

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
MP3 players are the greatest invention for useing while working out.

It just puts you at another level.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CATCH17;1925859 said:

Since I now ride a bus to and from work it makes the ride easy. I lost my last blackberry and had to buy a new one so I got the pearl which killed my archos plan but I added a 2gb micro sd so I can listen to music and surf the web on my phone :D. I may get me one of those next year because I can rip dvd's to play on it and 160gb and it has the bigger screen oh yea

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I love ESPN and Dallascowboy.com podcasts.

Cowboys podcasts were really good. Especially when Nate Newton is on the show.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
I have a Zune 30 and I love it. Eventually, I want to upgrade to the 80. Anyways, it depends what you are looking for. iPod's have the better software, but IMO Zune is the better MP3 Player.

Route 66

Reaction score
I have the Zune as well and love it. I still don't like the proprietary issues with the music. I downloaded a few songs off the marketplace the other day and put it on my home network and my wife can't even listen to the songs on her computer in the same house. I figured I needed to download the zune software on her PC but nooooo, it still did not work. I think iTunes is worse but either way, I mainly use the online marketplace for deciding on whether I want to buy a CD or not or if I just like certain tracks.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I have the iPod 80 and I like it a lot. I don't know the inner workings of the Zune, but the iPod has been very smooth and trouble free for us.

I haven't had the issues with proprietary music as we put mostly CD's that we already own on the unit. When we do download music/video we go the bit torrent route and have had no problems.

It's really great for movies and it's easy to rip almost any DVD. We are on Netflix and regularly save the movies we like in mp4. You can also buy a cable that allows video out then use them on any TV although it won't be as high a resolution as a normal DVD. Just download DVD43 (it strips the copy protection) then run it through Handbrake (it does the encoding). Both are free downloads and are easily obtainable.

I'm sure the Zune is a good unit (since generation 1) but we went with the iPod as they have been doing this pretty much as long or longer than anyone.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
trickblue;1926021 said:
I have the iPod 80 and I like it a lot. I don't know the inner workings of the Zune, but the iPod has been very smooth and trouble free for us.

I haven't had the issues with proprietary music as we put mostly CD's that we already own on the unit. When we do download music/video we go the bit torrent route and have had no problems.

It's really great for movies and it's easy to rip almost any DVD. We are on Netflix and regularly save the movies we like in mp4. You can also buy a cable that allows video out then use them on any TV although it won't be as high a resolution as a normal DVD. Just download DVD43 (it strips the copy protection) then run it through Handbrake (it does the encoding). Both are free downloads and are easily obtainable.

I'm sure the Zune is a good unit (since generation 1) but we went with the iPod as they have been doing this pretty much as long or longer than anyone.

You can't beat the iPod 80. For ease of use and just all around support and podcasting.

Fantastic item.

My iPhone is pretty pimp also. Love it!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
CATCH17;1925859 said:

Absolutely.

I think Apple products are the future. Zune and others are just doing the typical business thing.... taking a little piece of the "Apple" pie....

Route 66

Reaction score
YoMick;1926450 said:
Absolutely.

I think Apple products are the future. Zune and others are just doing the typical business thing.... taking a little piece of the "Apple" pie....

-and that would make you an ifan...

PosterChild

Reaction score
I just bought the 16GB Itouch at Sams this am. Been loading my library onto and fiddling with it..damn this thing is a marvel. This is my first mp3 player and I know not how I survived without it. They just introduced an app pack with google maps, email, stocks, notes, etc. Awesome.

366+tax
-250 gift card

paid only 145 clams!

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
PosterChild;1927654 said:
I just bought the 16GB Itouch at Sams this am. Been loading my library onto and fiddling with it..damn this thing is a marvel. This is my first mp3 player and I know not how I survived without it. They just introduced an app pack with google maps, email, stocks, notes, etc. Awesome.

366+tax
-250 gift card

paid only 145 clams!

Excellent product. Only 16GB of space but w/ wireless built in. You can't beat that.

Friend of mine has one and Ive messed with is some. I loved it.

All of the itouch and iphones are amazing products.

I am not an Apple fan at all, but these little gadgets are incredible. You have to hand it to Jobs. He is a master when it comes to taking technology and matching it to what the public will go gah-gah over.

That guy just makes money. Best thing Apple did was bringing him back.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Dallas;1927668 said:
Excellent product. Only 16GB of space but w/ wireless built in. You can't beat that.

Friend of mine has one and Ive messed with is some. I loved it.

All of the itouch and iphones are amazing products.

I am not an Apple fan at all, but these little gadgets are incredible. You have to hand it to Jobs. He is a master when it comes to taking technology and matching it to what the public will go gah-gah over.

That guy just makes money. Best thing Apple did was bringing him back.

I find the capacity more than ample. I've got 1700 songs I'm transferring, and of those, so far 150 are dupes. and I won't being storing movies after I watch them. So it's perfect for my needs.

Even got the wi-fi working with no fuss at all. The only possible downside is the keypad is tricky to use. I'm considering whittling one of my fingers down to make it more friendly.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
The problem I had with the Zune is if you burn video to your computer and then load it on your Zune, you HAVE to keep it on your computer as long as you want it on your Zune.

With my video Ipod, I simply load it on the ipod and then I can delete it from my computer to free up space and its no problem.

But with the Zune, as soon as it's deleted from my computer, the next time I synched, the software automatically deleted it from the Zune as well. I tried everything but couldn't overcome that glitch. So i finally just returned the Zune.