“He’s one of those freaks,” Coach speaks on Cowboys OT Isaac Alarcón

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A time waste article if you don't have anything better to do....
Take it for what it's worth

When looking at the Dallas Cowboys’ depth chart, make sure to not overlook Offensive Tackle Isaac Alarcón. The promising 22-year old from Mexico spent all of last season in the team’s practice squad and even though we haven’t seen him play, there are reasons to believe he’ll be a member of the 53-man roster in 2021.

https://atozsportsdallas.com/hes-on...jz1ozS8r16Drywpj_e0UVI7k2dn8rSrX_WzCOkUzHmj5U

A good friend of mine, former OL stud in Texas and current coach and scout in Mexico speaks the world of him. I've worked with this guy in the past and respect his opinion. I hope he's right.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, Hardline. I'll be watching for him in TC, among others.:thumbup:

If he's really as good and promising as his coach suggests, he'll be someone to watch.

CowboyMort

Reaction score
He was on the PS. How can that happen if he's not eligible to play? You have some explaining to do,

the article said that since he was a special exemption for International players that he could not be called up during the season, but they had to keep him on the practice squad for the season.

I did hear last year, that since he was those International guys, other teams couldn’t pick him off our PS.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
the article said that since he was a special exemption for International players that he could not be called up during the season, but they had to keep him on the practice squad for the season.

I did hear last year, that since he was those International guys, other teams couldn’t pick him off our PS.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarity. So, is his "special exemption" expired now? If he's so good, I'd like to be able to use him in games?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
A good friend of mine, former OL stud in Texas and current coach and scout in Mexico speaks the world of him. I've worked with this guy in the past and respect his opinion. I hope he's right.

At 6'7" 320, i hope you're right that he's right. the Monterrry Tech alum would be awesome to stick at RT first should Collins falter or get injured. He has played both tackle spots. I would still want to draft an OT cuz i'm not sold on the backups we got and Smith's injury history lately.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At 6'7" 320, i hope you're right that he's right. the Monterrry Tech alum would be awesome to stick at RT first should Collins falter or get injured. He has played both tackle spots. I would still want to draft an OT cuz i'm not sold on the backups we got and Smith's injury history lately.
Lol!! My friend is 6'6" 330!! Too bad he's my age! But, seriously, he loves this kid. I'm speaking at their clinic in Cancun in May!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A time waste article if you don't have anything better to do....
Take it for what it's worth

When looking at the Dallas Cowboys’ depth chart, make sure to not overlook Offensive Tackle Isaac Alarcón. The promising 22-year old from Mexico spent all of last season in the team’s practice squad and even though we haven’t seen him play, there are reasons to believe he’ll be a member of the 53-man roster in 2021.

I was thinking maybe he could be a G, but 6-7 seems tall for that. Tough to make this roster at OT this year.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
From the NFL Regulations regarding IPP players.

"The NFL has specific regulations for players that sign through the IPP. The teams to which each IPP player is assigned are allowed 91 players[7] on their off-season rosters, one more than those teams that are not participating in the IPP that year. At the point when these rosters need to be cut to 53 (at the end of pre-season), the participating teams must decide the status of their IPP players.[8][9][10]

First, the team can keep their IPP player on their 53-man roster. If they waive the player, he goes through the NFL's waiver system, which allows him to be claimed by another team. If he clears waivers, the team can sign the player to their practice squad. If they do, they may elect to take an exemption for the IPP player, giving them an extra spot on their practice squad. If they utilize the exemption, that player cannot be signed to the active roster of any team during the season. If the exemption is declined, the player is treated like any other practice squad player, and can be promoted to a team's active roster. If the player chooses to sign with a team other than the one to which he was assigned, that team may not claim the exemption."

He was brought to the Cowboys under the IPP program. Using the program rules you can stash a player away and develop him. If you migrate away from the exemption he becomes available for other teams. He can't move up from the exempt position of the practice squad. If he does then he becomes the same as any other player.

He cost the Cowboys nothing to bring him in and see if he could translate his physical tools into something worth adding to the roster. No roster spot taken as the 91st man.

This is polishing to see if you can develop a diamond.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of finding players from nontraditional avenues... sport transfer (Rugby/basketball converts), International program, etc. I could not find a single word on him last year. I even asked some people who have access to the Cowboys and it was all silence. I saw this and was hopeful it was a Cowboys coach saying stuff about Alarcon. I see that it's his trainer and you all should know trainer's always hype their clients no matter what.

I'm just curious why we haven't heard anything about him from the Cowboys. We know how much they like to promote their players and their choices.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If he's any good why didn't he get off the PS last season? We certainly had the need for a talented LT.

It might have simply been because we could keep him on the practice squad without him costing a spot. I doubt that he was ready for the jump in play, which is one reason the NFL set up the program like it did. It isn't likely he'll advance enough to be ready to help us this year, either, but he could possibly earn a true spot on the practice squad if he shows potential.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He looks skinny

Turk

Reaction score
you hear about physical freaks all the time who do not become players.

Status
Not open for further replies.