News: “Lively" Rookie Minicamp Meetings; First Impressions Of Taco, QBs; More

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger, Troy, and Emmitt?

Some they give out again to archetypal players at the same position. Others they do not.

Regardless, Ivie isn't Dez or Michael, or even Gregory. He's a dude at a position with a number shortage in training camp.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Some they give out again to archetypal players at the same position. Others they do not.

Regardless, Ivie isn't Dez or Michael, or even Gregory. He's a dude at a position with a number shortage in training camp.

Ivie is my 'dog' for this camp...and I'm still rooting for him to the very end. Judgement is on Marinelli now, not me.

CCBoy

Reaction score

usa_today_10053403.0.jpg

DT Joey Ivie, on expectations for the weekend:

"My expectations are to get my butt kicked, honestly. I know we all have it coming, all of us D-Linemen. They’ve been kind of hinting it towards us. We went through a walkthrough of what we’re going to do today. It’s going to be a heavy load, but it’s nothing we can’t handle. It’s about being mentally tough and making it through without showing mental weakness."

usa-today-10053333.0.jpg

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Easing Into Rookie Minicamp With A Dialed Back Game Plan

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/05/12/cowboys-easing-rookie-minicamp-dialed-back-game-plan

FRISCO, Texas – Technically speaking, Friday marks the first time since the 2016 season ended that Cowboys players will go through football practice. That alone is something worth celebrating.

The Cowboys’ rookie minicamp gets underway Friday morning, with the team’s nine draft picks, 14 undrafted free agents and a handful of select veterans going through meetings, walkthroughs and practice.

It’d probably be smart to pump the breaks on the hype, however. While this technically marks a return to football, Cowboys coaches plan to limit the possibility for injury by easing their newest players into the world of the NFL.

“We won’t go against each other in the rookie minicamp,” said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett on Sunday. “We’ll just give them a chance to go through individuals, some group stuff on either side of the ball and get their feet underneath them a little bit.”...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Taco Charlton revealed Friday that he calls his former Michigan teammate, Jourdan Lewis, "The Mirror."

"He’s a great cover corner," said Charlton, the Dallas Cowboys’ first-round draft pick. "I call him a ‘Mirror’ because wherever a receiver is, he’s probably right there, too. He’s a two-time All-American for a reason. He does some great things. He’s got the best feet I’ve seen as a corner. I’m happy to have him back on the outside of me again, because when he’s on the outside of me, I know I’ve got maybe an extra second or so."

But Lewis, the Cowboys’ third-round pick, acted as if the nickname was news to him.

"The what? The Mirror?" Lewis said. "Oh, that’s cool. Yeah, I hope that sticks. That’s a nice little nickname."...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article150294217.html

Pants

Reaction score
a pass rush creates less time for the CBs to cover; "mirror" cb's create more time for the pass rush

Can we have both?

Proof

Reaction score
C'mon fella'...you already know better. He was also in the picture with both my wife and daughter-in-law. Bob Lilly was a complete gentlemen as well as warmly friendly...

It's just funny. No explanation necessary

CCBoy

Reaction score
His surgically repaired left knee is 100 percent, and the nerve issue that has affected his foot is said to be improving to the point that he might not need a brace when the season starts.

The Cowboys will keep Smith out of on-field drills during the rookie minicamp but only because he has been doing everything in Phase 2 of the offseason program with the veterans. When the Cowboys start their organized team activities later in the month and convene for a June minicamp, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said the plan is to work Smith every other day.

When training camp comes in July in Oxnard, California, Jones does not believe Smith will have any restrictions...

http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/dallas-c...-taking-clear-eyed-view-of-linebackers-return

i

The Cowboys took Jaylon Smith (54) in the second round in 2016 even though the Notre Dame linebacker was coming off a devastating knee injury. Paul Moseley/Zuma Press/Icon Sportswire

CCBoy

Reaction score
The challenge for the Cowboys will be to find the best spot to play their cornerbacks because most of them have the versatility to play outside or at the nickel spot.

"We've got some good problems now," Cowboys secondary coach Joe Baker said. "We have a lot of guys who can do a lot of things. Usually what ends up happening is it ends up kind of sorting itself out as you go, so you just sort of give it time and usually it plays out as, 'OK, who is going to be best outside? Who is going to be best inside?' We already have ideas about certain guys. We know that Orlando is an exceptional nickel. We know that Jourdan was an exceptional nickel in college but he can also play outside. Orlando has also played outside. Anthony Brown played inside but played really well outside as well. We have ideas about where we'll start, but I think we're a long way away from where it's going to end up. We just have to let it play out."

https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...fit-dbs-coach-joe-baker-got-good-problems-now

CCBoy

Reaction score
Want to know how much the Cowboys value Gathers? They paid him a salary of $499,990 last year, which is roughly four times what your average practice squad player is paid.

After a full year of practice, Phase 2 will likely mean Gathers getting all the second-team tight end reps until at least training camp, as both Geoff Swaim and James Hanna are out of action this off-season with injuries.

So the door, for now, is wide open for Gathers, one of the unlikeliest candidates a year ago, to establish himself as the heir apparent to future Hall of Famer and 35-year-old Jason Witten...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article150277482.html

Sage3030

Reaction score

usa_today_10053403.0.jpg

DT Joey Ivie, on expectations for the weekend:

"My expectations are to get my butt kicked, honestly. I know we all have it coming, all of us D-Linemen. They’ve been kind of hinting it towards us. We went through a walkthrough of what we’re going to do today. It’s going to be a heavy load, but it’s nothing we can’t handle. It’s about being mentally tough and making it through without showing mental weakness."

usa-today-10053333.0.jpg

What did Rod do to his face? Let me guess, he either went tunnel ratting again, or got into a knife fight.

ShortRound

Reaction score
“Lively" Rookie Minicamp Meetings; First Impressions Of Taco, QBs; More
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/05/12/notes-“lively-meetings”-minicamp-first-impressions-taco-qbs-more

...Michigan defensive line coach Greg Mattison, a friend of Marinelli’s, was Charlton’s position coach all four years in college.

What did Marinelli learn about him?

“Tremendous person, high character, loves football,” Marinelli said. “That’s all of the things you’re looking for. And he’s got some talent. Now it’s about the grind.

“He’s really a good athlete, very good athlete, and then he’s got length. Really good length. He’s long and lean and he’s just going to get stronger and stronger.”

Marinelli said it’s too early to compare Charlton to a player he’s coached in the past, but he said the 6-6, 271-pounder has good balance and bend as a pass rusher that’s similar to David Irving, the Cowboys’ 6-7 defensive end/tackle...

Good stuff thank you for the posts!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Want to know how much the Cowboys value Gathers? They paid him a salary of $499,990 last year, which is roughly four times what your average practice squad player is paid.

After a full year of practice, Phase 2 will likely mean Gathers getting all the second-team tight end reps until at least training camp, as both Geoff Swaim and James Hanna are out of action this off-season with injuries.

So the door, for now, is wide open for Gathers, one of the unlikeliest candidates a year ago, to establish himself as the heir apparent to future Hall of Famer and 35-year-old Jason Witten...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article150277482.html
RICO OOO OOOO OOOOO!