09 mock

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
*note: stats are from before wk. 8

2nd round: Pittsburgh ILB Scott McKillop

it's not a sexy pick, he's not the fastest, or the biggest, only 6'2" 240, but he's just what this D needs, a fearless player who can do it all, he led the NCAA FBS in tackling last year, chipped in 3 sacks, and had 7 pass-breakups, this year has 3 sacks, 3 PBUs, 9.5 TFL and 53 tackles

dude can tackle, make plays in the backfield, drop into coverage and even rush the passer a little bit, perfect for weakside ILB in the 3-4

3rd: Alabama S Rashad Johnson - 6' 187lbs.

fast safety w/ a cornerback's game, is a fearless tackler and reads and diagnoses plays extremely well, up to this week he was top 10 in the nation in both passes defensed and pass breakups, had 6 INTS last year, only 1 so far this year up

I saw him on Saturday, and he executed a safety blitz very well

4th: Wisconsin OG Kraig Urbick - 6'6" 332

humongous right guard who has also started games at RT, Wisconsin linemen are generally good technicians, so Urbick should be no different, he would provide insurance for Colombo as well as a meaty backup in the interior

4th: Oregon C Max Unger - 6'5" 300

versatile C who can play all 5 line positions, in fact was a very good starting LT in '06, calls the shots for an Oregon line that ranked 4th in the FBS in rushing ypc w/ 5.84, Dallas wanted Samson Satele, a similar C in the draft a couple of years ago, they get their guy in Unger

5th: Missouri DE Stryker Sulak - 6'5" 250

this D needs to make more plays, and in a year and a half worth of games, Stryker has forced 7 fumbles, he's a fearless worker whose stats on the year heading into this week were 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks and 3 forced fumbles

5th: San Jose State DT Jarron Gilbert - 6'6" 280

perfect fit at 3-4 DE, so far this year has 10.5 TFL and 4 sacks, I think it's time to upgrade our backup DEs

5th: Missouri QB Chase Daniels

local product comes home, would make a very good backup QB, don't really need to say much more on him

6th: Kentucky DT Myron Pryor - 6'1" 310

squatty NT whose stats so far on the year were 7.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks

6th: Geogia FB Brannan Southerland - 6' 240

last year I was against drafting a FB, very strongly, because I really like Deon Anderson, but Brannan is a monster blocker, the Georgia running game really suffers w/o him, and I saw him take a little FB screen and turn it into 10 yards by leaping over a defender

6th: Central Florida CB Joe Burnett - 5'11" 185

All-CSU punt returner, working on going for the 4th straight time! he's averaging 15 yards a punt return, also has been All-CSU as a corner 2 times, this 4 year starter at corner has 14 career INTs, also has a 32 yard kick return average

7th: Louisianna Lafayette WR Jason Chery - 6' 190

entering this week was 5th in the nation in all-purpose yardage, averaging 178.4 yards a game, has scored 8 TDs, 5 as a WR, where he's averaging 16.15 yards a catch, and 3 as a rusher, where he's averaging a ridiculous 24.6 yards a carry! albeit on just 10 carries, also has a 22 yard kick return average, and a TD to go along

7th: Oregon DE Nick Reed - 6'2" 248

dude just gets after the QB, had 12 sacks in '07, w/ 22.5 TFL, 8 sacks so far this year, along w/ 11.5 TFL, not that fast and undersized, but would provide great depth at OLB

7th: enter requisite unknown

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
not pretty but overall solid if we did something like this....Chase Daniels in the 5th seems like a dream......but I think it can shake out like this or the positions you targeted at least.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Why would we use our top pick on a psoition where we have two starters already in place in James and Thomas with Burnett and Carpenter backing up?
I thnk we'll use our top pick on a safety to replace Roy (cap cut) or either a Guard to replace Kosier or a huge N.T. so we can get a REAL 3-4 N.T. who can plug up 2 guys and move Ratliff to D.E. where he'll be better IMO.

I see us using our top 3 picks on a N.T./G./S. since IMO those are our 3 weakest positions that need improvement.
We can go another year with Bradie James and Zach Thomas at I.L.B. and I like Burnett to take over for Thomas when he leaves also, we might draft an IB., but I don't see us using one of our top 3 picks on that position with so many other positions of more important needs.

The L.G. spot IMO is a huge liability with Kosier injured, and Kosier's contract i uip IMO and he's not really a good fit for us IMO although solid, but I'd want us to get a stud L.G. who's a Larry Allen type, meaning a big mauler type like a Alan Faneca/LArry Allen to make this O-line even better.

Then grab a top safety in round 3, maybe move up to late round 2 to grab one, then go ahead and get a big 330+ pound N.T. so we can move Ratliff to L.D.E.., I woudl then in all honesty trade all of our picks for future draft picks to really load up on the 2010 draft class since I really can't see anyone in round 5-7 making our team anyway since we're so deep talent wise anyway, so why not trade away our late picks for earlier picks next year and stockpile ure picks for when we really need them?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2379732 said:
Why would we use our top pick on a psoition where we have two starters already in place in James and Thomas with Burnett and Carpenter backing up?
I thnk we'll use our top pick on a safety to replace Roy (cap cut) or either a Guard to replace Kosier or a huge N.T. so we can get a REAL 3-4 N.T. who can plug up 2 guys and move Ratliff to D.E. where he'll be better IMO.

I see us using our top 3 picks on a N.T./G./S. since IMO those are our 3 weakest positions that need improvement.
We can go another year with Bradie James and Zach Thomas at I.L.B. and I like Burnett to take over for Thomas when he leaves also, we might draft an IB., but I don't see us using one of our top 3 picks on that position with so many other positions of more important needs.

The L.G. spot IMO is a huge liability with Kosier injured, and Kosier's contract i uip IMO and he's not really a good fit for us IMO although solid, but I'd want us to get a stud L.G. who's a Larry Allen type, meaning a big mauler type like a Alan Faneca/LArry Allen to make this O-line even better.

Then grab a top safety in round 3, maybe move up to late round 2 to grab one, then go ahead and get a big 330+ pound N.T. so we can move Ratliff to L.D.E.., I woudl then in all honesty trade all of our picks for future draft picks to really load up on the 2010 draft class since I really can't see anyone in round 5-7 making our team anyway since we're so deep talent wise anyway, so why not trade away our late picks for earlier picks next year and stockpile ure picks for when we really need them?

Well your theory on ILB could be the same about Safety and OG.....

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2379821 said:
Well your theory on ILB could be the same about Safety and OG.....

Not at all, I think we will need to find a STARTING L.G. next year where we definately won't need to find a starting I.L.B. next year, and at MINIMUM we need to find a backup to Kosier if we decide to keep him where we don't really need to find a backup I.L.B. with Carpenter AND Burnett as backups.

At safety, if we lose Roy, we are gonna need to find a starting S.S., and if we lose Roy, we are at least gonna need another backup.

So I don't see how S. or G. are the same theory in the least.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2379831 said:
Not at all, I think we will need to find a STARTING L.G. next year where we definately won't need to find a starting I.L.B. next year, and at MINIMUM we need to find a backup to Kosier if we decide to keep him where we don't really need to find a backup I.L.B. with Carpenter AND Burnett as backups.

At safety, if we lose Roy, we are gonna need to find a starting S.S., and if we lose Roy, we are at least gonna need another backup.

So I don't see how S. or G. are the same theory in the least.

Well you through Koiser and RW totally under the bus....then you don't factor in Holland.....then you pimp Carp why do you see in him??? Burnett is very injury prone...I like the guy but if he can't stay healthy he's useless.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2379732 said:

Thomas is only signed for 1 year, and will be 36 next year
Carpenter is a bust, not a good weakside backer plus his contract is up soon
Burnett is always dinged, is a 1 down LB, and his contract is up soon
and James can't play on 3 downs

drafting McKillop gets us a quality, weakside ILB for the next decade, at least for the next 4/5 years

ThatsmyQB said:

we get all those w/ my draft, Rashad Johnson for safety, put him at strong, or move Hamlin over there, Kraig Urbick is a huge OG, and Myron Pryor the NT

I don't know why you're saying we need to get a real 3-4 NT, Myron Pryor is plenty big enough at 6'1" 310, that's the weight Jason Ferguson plays at, and that's bigger than Jay Ratliff, plus the guy can actually make plays in the backfield, instead of just only being able to take up space

the LG spot will be Kosier's, and if not his Montrae Holland's

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2379834 said:
Well you through Koiser and RW totally under the bus....then you don't factor in Holland.....then you pimp Carp why do you see in him??? Burnett is very injury prone...I like the guy but if he can't stay healthy he's useless.

I did n't throw anyone under the bus.
Kosier's contract is up and I don't think we'll be re-signing him, so we'll need a replacement, same with Roy Williams, I think he'll be cut IMO and if he is, we'll need to replace him.
Now, if we keep Kosier and re-sign him, or keep Roy and don't cut him, then of course I'd go a different direction, but there's a likelyhood both will be gone and will need replacing.
Holland?
He can't even beat out Berger who IMO is a huge problem our Q.B.'s are getting hit the way they are, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in another teams garbage who we picked up and can't beat out our BACKUP.
Pimp Carp?
No, but he will be on our team and as far as BACKUPS GO, we can do much worse then him, and as far as Burnett, while he might get injured, he's still gonna be on our roster next year regardless, along with Carp, and along with our 2 starters in James and Thomas, so thus no need to use our top pick on that positon.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wk. 9 stat updates

Pitt LB Scott McKillop has 67 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 4 sacks, 3 passes broken up, and 4 hurries

Alabama S Rashad Johnson has 45 tackles, an INT, 2 TFL, a sack, 9 passes broken up, and a forced fumble

RG Kraig Urbick's Wisconsin team is 26th in the nation in rushing, averaging 4.42 yards a carry, and 190.23 yards a game

C Max Unger's Oregon team is 5th in the nation in rushing, averaging 5.98 yards a carry, and 278.75 yards a game

Missou DE Stryker Sulak has 10.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 5 forced fumbles! that gives him 9 fumbles in not even 2 years of games, and has blocked a FG

SJSU DT Jarron Gilbert has 14.5 TFL, 6 sacks and a forced fumble

Kentucky DT Myron Pryor's stats are the same, as he's nursing an injury

CFU CB Joe Burnett has 3 INTs, 3.5 TFL, 7 passes broken up and has blocked a P, averages 15.3 yards a punt return, 31.6 a kickoff, w/ 2 TDs, he averages 23 yards a return, and 138 return yards a game

Louisiana Lafayette WR Jason Chery's stats are all the same, but I found out he has 10 tackles, 9 solo, so I'm guessing they have come on punt and kick coverage, which we sorely need

Oregon DE Nick Reed has 11.5 TFL, 8 sacks and 9 hurries

didn't look up Chase Daniel's stats, because I'm sure they are still top 5 in the nation

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2377509 said:
*note: stats are from before wk. 8

2nd round: Pittsburgh ILB Scott McKillop

it's not a sexy pick, he's not the fastest, or the biggest, only 6'2" 240, but he's just what this D needs, a fearless player who can do it all, he led the NCAA FBS in tackling last year, chipped in 3 sacks, and had 7 pass-breakups, this year has 3 sacks, 3 PBUs, 9.5 TFL and 53 tackles

dude can tackle, make plays in the backfield, drop into coverage and even rush the passer a little bit, perfect for weakside ILB in the 3-4

3rd: Alabama S Rashad Johnson - 6' 187lbs.

fast safety w/ a cornerback's game, is a fearless tackler and reads and diagnoses plays extremely well, up to this week he was top 10 in the nation in both passes defensed and pass breakups, had 6 INTS last year, only 1 so far this year up

I saw him on Saturday, and he executed a safety blitz very well

4th: Wisconsin OG Kraig Urbick - 6'6" 332

humongous right guard who has also started games at RT, Wisconsin linemen are generally good technicians, so Urbick should be no different, he would provide insurance for Colombo as well as a meaty backup in the interior

4th: Oregon C Max Unger - 6'5" 300

versatile C who can play all 5 line positions, in fact was a very good starting LT in '06, calls the shots for an Oregon line that ranked 4th in the FBS in rushing ypc w/ 5.84, Dallas wanted Samson Satele, a similar C in the draft a couple of years ago, they get their guy in Unger

5th: Missouri DE Stryker Sulak - 6'5" 250

this D needs to make more plays, and in a year and a half worth of games, Stryker has forced 7 fumbles, he's a fearless worker whose stats on the year heading into this week were 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks and 3 forced fumbles

5th: San Jose State DT Jarron Gilbert - 6'6" 280

perfect fit at 3-4 DE, so far this year has 10.5 TFL and 4 sacks, I think it's time to upgrade our backup DEs

5th: Missouri QB Chase Daniels

local product comes home, would make a very good backup QB, don't really need to say much more on him

6th: Kentucky DT Myron Pryor - 6'1" 310

squatty NT whose stats so far on the year were 7.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks

6th: Geogia FB Brannan Southerland - 6' 240

last year I was against drafting a FB, very strongly, because I really like Deon Anderson, but Brannan is a monster blocker, the Georgia running game really suffers w/o him, and I saw him take a little FB screen and turn it into 10 yards by leaping over a defender

6th: Central Florida CB Joe Burnett - 5'11" 185

All-CSU punt returner, working on going for the 4th straight time! he's averaging 15 yards a punt return, also has been All-CSU as a corner 2 times, this 4 year starter at corner has 14 career INTs, also has a 32 yard kick return average

7th: Louisianna Lafayette WR Jason Chery - 6' 190

entering this week was 5th in the nation in all-purpose yardage, averaging 178.4 yards a game, has scored 8 TDs, 5 as a WR, where he's averaging 16.15 yards a catch, and 3 as a rusher, where he's averaging a ridiculous 24.6 yards a carry! albeit on just 10 carries, also has a 22 yard kick return average, and a TD to go along

7th: Oregon DE Nick Reed - 6'2" 248

dude just gets after the QB, had 12 sacks in '07, w/ 22.5 TFL, 8 sacks so far this year, along w/ 11.5 TFL, not that fast and undersized, but would provide great depth at OLB

7th: enter requisite unknown

im cool with the first 4 picks, and i would be pleased with them.....but after that, im kinda iffy...

i dont really want anyone from the Missouri defense, their defense sucks. although, if he has a solid 40 and can make a smooth transition to LB, i can be pursuaded.

i know nothing of Gilbert, so i will have to take your word on him.

Chase Daniels is too small and he disappears in big games. He disappeared against OU twice last year. He disappeared against OSU and UT this year (ok, so he had a good second half against UT, but it looked like the D had already called it a night at halftime up by 32).

I dont know much about Pryor, but he is injured, so no thank you.

Burnett is an interesting pick. on one hand, he is small and their D has struggled mightily this season, as compared to last season. However, he does seem to make plays. He definitely has a knack for being around the football.

I dont want to go after a WR this year, but this kid is a fantasy football machine, huh.

Reed is a definite darkhorse, huh. He does have some nice stats. I doubt he would be able to handle any coverage responsibilities.....

Curious.......what are your thoughts of Baylor LB Pawelek?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
regarding Stryker, I don't care about the Missouri defense, I just want a guy who can create turnovers, have to admit that 9 forced fumbles in a year and 3 quarters is pretty good

I have no idea who Pawelek is, I'll have to look him up

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
just looked Paweleck up, wow, pretty, damn good

99 tackles last year

over 90 this year

good in coverage, 2 INTs this year

makes plays in the backfield

good size

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2382020 said:
just looked Paweleck up, wow, pretty, damn good

99 tackles last year

over 90 this year

good in coverage, 2 INTs this year

makes plays in the backfield

good size

3 interceptions.......one was stolen away by the refs in the OU game....this kid is just everywhere making plays. Honestly, he is the only defensive player on Baylor I would even consider having NFL ability.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2381999 said:
regarding Stryker, I don't care about the Missouri defense, I just want a guy who can create turnovers, have to admit that 9 forced fumbles in a year and 3 quarters is pretty good

I have no idea who Pawelek is, I'll have to look him up

you did notice that i said if that Stryker kid had a good 40 and could play LB and do well in coverage, that i wouldnt mind. i mean, he couldnt be worse than Crapenter.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2382048 said:
you did notice that i said if that Stryker kid had a good 40 and could play LB and do well in coverage, that i wouldnt mind. i mean, he couldnt be worse than Crapenter.

I did notice, but I still had to point that out :D he's making an unbelievable amount of fumbles, I mean Anthony Spencer in his best year forced 6 fumbles, Stryker has 5 this year w/ 3 games to go, we desperately need players who can create turnovers

and regarding Myron Pryor being injured, it's a high ankle sprain, nothing serious, he's only missed one game

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2382056 said:
I did notice, but I still had to point that out :D he's making an unbelievable amount of fumbles, I mean Anthony Spencer in his best year forced 6 fumbles, Stryker has 5 this year w/ 3 games to go

and regarding Myron Pryor being injured, it's a high ankle sprain, nothing serious, he's only missed one game

see i can totally support your drafting the kid from Bama, those cats play D.

I just dont trust any defensive player from TT, Missouri, Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, or Tennessee.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2382061 said:
see i can totally support your drafting the kid from Bama, those cats play D.

I just dont trust any defensive player from TT, Missouri, Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, or Tennessee.

fair enough

but you trust a kid from Baylor :D Pawelek does look good though, there are a couple Juniors I want to come out, this DE from Arkansas State Alex Carrington, 6'5" 280, 14 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, INT, and TCU DE Jerry Hughes, he has 15 tackles for loss, 12 sacks and 4 forced fumbles, is only 6'2" 248 though

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ironically, minnesota has a DE, Otis Grigsby, who I root for and he went to Kentucky......but I know he can ball, cause he graduated from my HS. I know he has a work ethic, cause you have to, to play there.....

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2382065 said:
fair enough

but you trust a kid from Baylor :D

Mike Singletary went to Baylor and was the MLB and QB of the D....plus Baylor is known for having intelligent students.

Pawelek is the MLB and QB of the defense.

Trust me, I dont bring up anyone on the DL or Secondary from the Bears. I definitely didn't want that DB that came out last year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2382070 said:
Mike Singletary went to Baylor and was the MLB and QB of the D....plus Baylor is known for having intelligent students.

Pawelek is the MLB and QB of the defense.

Trust me, I dont bring up anyone on the DL or Secondary from the Bears. I definitely didn't want that DB that came out last year.

Albert Haynesworth came from Tennessee ;)

it's cool though