#1 pick that lived up to the hype?

Reaction score
Roughneck said:
There was that one QB from UCLA taken about 17 years ago with a #1 pick.

I think he might have turned out pretty good.

I also thought this would be the first post to this thread...........just think what Troy could have accomplished if he had been caught up the "big statistics" game!:eek:

jcblanco22

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think you have to throw in Steve Young in there. Ken Simms had a great career. George Rogers did pretty well. Ricky Bell was a great player on a horrible team so I don't know what you say there. Lee Roy Selmon was a great player, also on a horrible team. John Matuzak had a pretty good career. Jim Plunkett ended up having a pretty decent career. Ron Yary was a good player as well. Bubba Smith made out pretty well. There are a couple of em out there.

Ken or Billy? Ken Sims was also a high-round draft pick of the Patriots who was decent but very injury prone, so I wasn't sure if you meant him or Billy.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Slyster said:
Michael Vick? You serious?

What I remember about that draft was San Diego. Vick was the obvious number one pick but the Chargers were worried about drafting a high risk qb so early after the Ryan Leaf fiasco, so they traded down and got Tomlison instead. I think that worked out much better than Vick.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam Lightbody

Edit.........I meant that #8 jersey hanging in my closet that says "AIKMAN" across the shoulders.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
It amazes me that Aikman was the last QB drafted number 1 overall to win the superbowl. I know Elway was a first, but I'm talking most recently drafted.

I think you'd have to be absolutely crazy to draft a QB in the top 5. If I were a GM I would never draft a QB until about 7-10 range...investment isn't as high, and pressure isn't as heavy on him to come in right away and succeed.

There are only two positions I'd draft in the top 5...

RB and LBer.

I wouldn't touch any other position in the top 5, not just this draft, but any draft.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...Lee Roy Selmon and Earl Campbell.

Results right out of the gate. Emotionally I am partial to Aikman. SuperBowls actually count in my world.