#1 reason we are 2-4, and no one is talking about It

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
This is not good, but it is also a strange statistic. Usually, turnovers come your way to some degree.

Dallas has had opportunities, but couldn't get their hands on fumbles, and dropped some interceptions.

Agreed. Hopefully some of our luck turns around and bounces on defense come our way.

Don't get me wrong, though: the defense does need to make more plays, the secondary especially.

blindzebra

Reaction score
We have had an INT taken away by a penalty. A fumble recovery stopped by a quick whistle. Two fumble recoveries and an INT overturned on review...this team is snake bit like no other.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
We have had an INT taken away by a penalty. A fumble recovery stopped by a quick whistle. Two fumble recoveries and an INT overturned on review...this team is snake bit like no other.

while i agree with your sentiment i cant help but to think of the detroit lions when thinking of teams that are perpetually snake bitten.

the Curse of Bobby Lane (now the Fords?)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The lack of takeaways has been a negative but the #1 reason the Cowboys are sitting at 2-4 is not having Romo. Not having Dez since the opener has also played a huge part. The Cowboys beat the Giants on opening day despite not forcing a turnover and suffering 3 of them and were up 13-0 on Philly while Romo was still in the game before they forced their first turnover of the season. The Cowboys started the season 2-0 despite 5 turnovers and forcing 3. Without Romo the team needs takeaways to help win games. With a struggling offense and a bad QB situation a lot has been put on the defense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much. The offense is limited but the lack of turnovers have probably costed us every game besides the Patriots.

It's been the limited offense due to a bad QB situation that's costing us games. It's kept the defense on the field too long. Even with turnovers I'm not sure the offense could capitalize on them with our QB situation. We definitely need to start forcing some because turnovers change momentum and give a team a spark but unless the Cowboys get better QB play it's going to continue to be a struggle.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the number one reason this team is 2 and 4 is tony is hurt and dez its qb play that is hurting this team

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yep. You can create turnovers with your offense, too, by putting teams behind and forcing them to become predictable.

Which is part of the reason we forced 3 turnovers vs Philly. Once the Cowboys got them down by 13 Bradford started forcing the ball which led to a couple of picks.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I think turnover battle is about # 3 or 4 on the list. Losing Tony is # 1 and losing Dez is # 2.

Dez is not #2, IMO. In my view, if we had Romo, but no Dez, we'd be 5-1 right now. With Dez, those wins would surely have been easier/more convincing, but I'd take more turnovers vs. Dez being back.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
This OP is short and sweet.

We have THREE (3) 3!!!!!!! takeaways in SIX (6) 6!!!!! games.

We have 12 turnovers.

We are DEAD last in the league in takeaways AND turnover differential -NINE (-9) -9!!!!!!

Injuries aside, this is the #1 reason we are 2-4. You don't win in this league EVER being dead last in this category.

That is all. Case closed.

I'd be curious to know the average starting point when they are on offense. I would bet the average starting line is our (Cowboys ) own 25.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We nearly lost the first NY game because the WRs fumbled 3 times. This lack of discipline is not new. We won't go 7-0 when Romo comes back if we don't clean up our act.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This OP is short and sweet.

We have THREE (3) 3!!!!!!! takeaways in SIX (6) 6!!!!! games.

We have 12 turnovers.

We are DEAD last in the league in takeaways AND turnover differential -NINE (-9) -9!!!!!!

Injuries aside, this is the #1 reason we are 2-4. You don't win in this league EVER being dead last in this category.

That is all. Case closed.

Yep. Just balancing the turnovers would have meant 2-3 more wins.
Last year, I think we had 11-12 takeaways by now.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This. The good thing is the odds are in our favor. That funny shaped ball would have to start bouncing our way at some point, right?:(

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yeah, our defense is beyond frustrating right now. With Lee, ROMc, Hardy, Gregory we should be a terror and we're nowhere near it.

well in all fairness, they played pretty decently on Sunday, but Cassell threw a pick 6 and then ST gave up another 7. Those 14 points are not on the D. If you hold an opponent to 13, you should win the game.

fortdick

Reaction score
Dez is not #2, IMO. In my view, if we had Romo, but no Dez, we'd be 5-1 right now. With Dez, those wins would surely have been easier/more convincing, but I'd take more turnovers vs. Dez being back.

I believe you are correct on Romo, however, with Dez, I believe we would have given fewer picks, forced the other teams to pass more down field, resulting in more turnovers for us. Also, I think we win 2 of the last 4 with Dez in there. Weedon may have been our hero if he had Dez!

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I wonder why nobody has brought this up in, say, the game-day thread, the post-game thread, or the many Cassell v. Weeden discussions that have emerged since Sunday?

This is a "sobering" statistic that such a deficit in turnovers would result in such a poor record. ;)

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Which is part of the reason we forced 3 turnovers vs Philly. Once the Cowboys got them down by 13 Bradford started forcing the ball which led to a couple of picks.

Get out of here with that weak argument. One of the passes tipped off his receivers hands and their fumble was a botched snap. The Lee pick was the only hard earned one.

We all know the offense is poor but they've been good enough to keep the team in games while having to start from the 20 every single drive.