1-Tech -- 1 Tech --- 1 - Tech

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Willie Henry seems like a perfect fit. Is projected as a day 3 selection and is even coming off a 6.5 sack season. Weighs just over 300.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think we are far more apt to take a LBer based on how we have scouted the past few years. Seems to be where the emphasis is.

We looked hard at players like Barr, Shazier, Shaq Thompson, McKinney and Kendricks in the past two drafts, even with the "talent" we already had.

Billings does not have Donald's quick twitch or pass rushing technique, very few players do. Billings is a true NT with good athleticism for that position. He stands out more for his pure brute strength, work ethic and nasty disposition. His power is comparable to Larry Allen levels.

The guy is also former OL and is a dominating goal line blocker. He is crazy strong and literally rag dolls everyone in front of him.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I am tired of this super quick 3-technique guys, need a run stuffer that can't be moved out of the middle and let the other people chase to the RB or QB

Need dominant 3 tech for Marinelli's D to be championship caliber. A guy who can put up double digit sacks a season. Ty Crawford has not proven he can be that guy.

StarHead69

Reaction score
Year after year we hear the tired 'don't want to waste resources on a 2-down guy'. Then we end up wasting tons of resources on 'athletic-projects' at LB & S hoping to find guys who can avoid the free guard and make plays. Problem is that these project Lb's get hammered so much that they can't stay on the field long enough to be developed in the first place. Why can't we just spend a 2nd or 3rd on a highly regarded 1-tech and be done with it?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
We need one badly. Lots of them in this draft, we need to come out of it with someone BETTER than Hayden

Why? They can just wait for this Terrell McClain emergence that some people swear is coming if he is ever healthy.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Problem with the one tech is that it only gets 25-30% of snaps here. We just dont favor power rushers.

Your best bet to upgrade the postion is drafting another 3 Tech that can rush from the 1 Tech spot ( im so tired of moving DE's inside) and getting a cheap vet like Ian Williams to plug the run

waving monkey

Reaction score
give up hope in this FO.they have to realize the DTs are not even adequate.Hayden suck and we dont even have a good backup to him.

I think its unreasonable to think the management doesn't know what they have at DT
There is so much to over haul they get to it as the cards fall.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
LB's get abused by guards when u don't have a good 1-Tech plus teams get ahead of the chains when they can run successfully on 1st and second at will. This is elementary football 101, without that guy commanding double teams in the middle that frees up other blockers to take out your Hardy's and McClains based on the play being called..

It doesn't make a difference if teams don't run much anymore...which they don't. They can't 'abuse the LB's' if you're throwing the ball because that would be an illegal man downfield. And our LB's are not getting abused by guards. The problem is that McClain in particular is getting room to make plays and just isn't making them because he is slow and his anticipation sucks. In Marinelli's scheme, he still wants the 1-tech to maintain gap integrity, but get upfield. It has worked over the past 20 years and was working great for the Lions last year and is working for the Panthers this year. So, it's still a relevant defensive philosophy.

YR

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It doesn't make a difference if teams don't run much anymore...which they don't. They can't 'abuse the LB's' if you're throwing the ball because that would be an illegal man downfield. And our LB's are not getting abused by guards. The problem is that McClain in particular is getting room to make plays and just isn't making them because he is slow and his anticipation sucks. In Marinelli's scheme, he still wants the 1-tech to maintain gap integrity, but get upfield. It has worked over the past 20 years and was working great for the Lions last year and is working for the Panthers this year. So, it's still a relevant defensive philosophy.

YR

I agree Ro Mc has fallen off a bit but there's still a big hole when teams run over Hayden (Literally) up the middle..

therock1982

Reaction score
i like billings alot,and nkemdiche,both could easily line up alongside tcraw,people sayin nkemdiche is to light to play aongside t craw?well nkemdiche is listed just shy of 300lbs,suh was listed at the combine at 307lbs.less than 10lbs difference.
that being said i dont think theres much chance we take either unless we trade down to the early o mid 20s.failing that id prefer them to take the just declared darron lee at linebacker in the 2nd and the big dt from la tech iin the 3rd-vernon butler-should appease the weight watcher enthuisiasts amongst you as butler is listed at 309-2lbs heavier than suh was at the combine :)

Wood

Reaction score
Watched bunch of film and to be honest I didn't like what I saw from fat DTs. Clark, Reed & Johnson were unimpressive as they often could properly diagnose the play but technique at getting to RB were poor. Sheldon Rankins actually has moves to get to QB but saw too many plays he takes off. If I were pressed to pick one it would be A'Shawn Robinson from Bama. He does remind me little of Marcell Dareus.

btcutter

Reaction score
Need dominant 3 tech for Marinelli's D to be championship caliber. A guy who can put up double digit sacks a season. Ty Crawford has not proven he can be that guy.

I am willing to cut Crawford a little slack playing with 1 arm. Also until he has someone more respectable than Hayden next to him 2 out of 3 downs.......

slick325

Reaction score

Good points YR. The philosophy Marinelli has still works but seems to work best when an investment is made to the DT positions. Both of them. The Lions drafted Suh and Fairley in the 1st round and then as they left in free agency they brought in Ngata. The Panthers have Star (a 1st rounder) and Kwaan Short (a 2nd rounder) at their DT's. When the Bucs and Colts won it was with Sapp and Booger McFarland (Tampa spent 1st rounders on both) and McFarland a free agent pick up for the Colts.

Dallas needs to put a high talent guy at the 1tech and the philosophy will work in Dallas as well. Most high talent guys get picked early in the draft or slip due to character or injury but they are talents that would be high picks but for those warts. Upgrade at the position must be a serious goal for the front office despite Marinelli saying he can make limes into lemonade.

YR

Last edited:

slick325

Reaction score
Good points YR. The philosophy Marinelli has still works but seems to work best when an investment is made to the DT positions. Both of them. The Lions drafted Suh and Fairley in the 1st round and then as they left in free agency they brought in Ngata. The Panthers have Star (a 1st rounder) and Kwaan Short (a 2nd rounder) at their DT's. When the Bucs and Colts won it was with Sapp and Booger McFarland (Tampa spent 1st rounders on both) and McFarland a free agent pick up for the Colts.

Dallas needs to put a high talent guy at the 1tech and the philosophy will work in Dallas as well. Most high talent guys get picked early in the draft or slip due to character or injury but they are talents that would be high picks but for those warts. Upgrade at the position must be a serious goal for the front office despite Marinelli saying he can make limes into lemonade.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I am willing to cut Crawford a little slack playing with 1 arm. Also until he has someone more respectable than Hayden next to him 2 out of 3 downs.......

Hatcher played next to Hayden and put up double digit sack season.