10-6

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
NYG finished their regular season with a 10-6 record last year and backed into the playoffs.

I'm not saying that's what we should shoot for, but never say never.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
casmith07;2474735 said:
NYG finished their regular season with a 10-6 record last year and backed into the playoffs.

New York didn't back into anything. They were riding as high as any team could be except for the pats. They were on a tear and had won big games on the road leading up to their playoff appearance.

Jay

Reaction score
Problem is, the NFC is stronger this year.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Our backs are against the wall now...hope we come out swinging every week now. I thought we did against Pitt, but could not finish...now we need to finish.

Like Madden said...if we win we deserve to be in, if we don't we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Boysboy

Reaction score
casmith07;2474735 said:

Not so sure...

They started off Dec w/ 2 road wins against Chicago and Philly, both of whom were fighting for their playoff lives as well. Then 2 weeks later, they had another impressive road win against Buffalo, a team playing with alot of emotion with Kevin Everett on the sidelines for the first time since wk1.

Sandwiched in was an ugly loss at home to the Skins-well...the Skins were playing with alot of emotion after Sean Taylor died. The Skins themselves had an incredible stretch run to end the season.

By the time they played the Pats in wk17, the game was meaningless, but they played their butts off nonetheless.

Yes-they ended the reg season strongly, unlike us.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
They lost a tough game at home to the Pats where they blew a double digit lead in the fourth quarter. (Sound familiar?)

They had their butts kicked at home by the Commanders. Ditto vs Minnesota. Scraped by with a win against a bad Bears team.

They were not playing lights out by any stretch of the imagination.

The Patriots game might have been their best performance of the season yet they came up short.

May not mean much in relation to us, but to write us out of the playoffs or as one and done is premature at this point.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic;2474753 said:
Like Madden said...if we win we deserve to be in, if we don't we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Always have to thank John Madden for being John Obvious haha

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Boysboy;2474754 said:
Not so sure...

They started off Dec w/ 2 road wins against Chicago and Philly, both of whom were fighting for their playoff lives as well. Then 2 weeks later, they had another impressive road win against Buffalo, a team playing with alot of emotion with Kevin Everett on the sidelines for the first time since wk1.

Sandwiched in was an ugly loss at home to the Skins-well...the Skins were playing with alot of emotion after Sean Taylor died. The Skins themselves had an incredible stretch run to end the season.

By the time they played the Pats in wk17, the game was meaningless, but they played their butts off nonetheless.

Yes-they ended the reg season strongly, unlike us.
The Steelers are fighting for their division, are they not playing with emotion?

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
I hope your right. I hope that 10-6 will do it. It looks just as likely though, if not more so, that 11-5 might very well be the record that does it. The way the defense played last night, we should be 10-5 going into Philly. The way Philly looked yesterday, that might not be such an easy trick to pull off.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2474740 said:
New York didn't back into anything. They were riding as high as any team could be except for the pats. They were on a tear and had won big games on the road leading up to their playoff appearance.

L-W-L-W-W-L-W-L, with all four losses coming at home -- three by double digits and one when they blew a 12-point lead late in the third quarter -- and only one win coming by more than a touchdown, is "riding high"?

Yeah, the Giants were riding SO high leading up to their playoff appearance that they were underdogs against the 9-7 Buccaneers in their first playoff game.

GMen86

Reaction score
casmith07;2474735 said:

Giants clinched their playoff spot in week 16 against Buffalo and had a meaningless game against the Pats in week 17. How is that backing in when they clinched a spot in week 16?

IMO backing in is when you blew controling your own destiny and are depending on another team(s) to lose to get in.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
GMen86;2475156 said:
Giants clinched their playoff spot in week 16 against Buffalo and had a meaningless game against the Pats in week 17. How is that backing in when they clinched a spot in week 16?

Maybe he's referring to the way they started 6-2, then went 4-4 in the second half of the season (or 4-3 if you don't count the Patriots game).

IMO backing in is when you blew controling your own destiny and are depending on another team(s) to lose to get in.

There are other ways to "back into" the playoffs. It's not like it's a technical term with a specific definition.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
We better not finish 10-6 like the Giants did last year, because 10-6 probably won't get us in the playoffs. We need to win out.

GMen86

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2475169 said:
Maybe he's referring to the way they started 6-2, then went 4-4 in the second half of the season (or 4-3 if you don't count the Patriots game).

There are other ways to "back into" the playoffs. It's not like it's a technical term with a specific definition.
Hence the "IMO" before my definition of backing in.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2474861 said:
L-W-L-W-W-L-W-L, with all four losses coming at home -- three by double digits and one when they blew a 12-point lead late in the third quarter -- and only one win coming by more than a touchdown, is "riding high"?

Yeah, the Giants were riding SO high leading up to their playoff appearance that they were underdogs against the 9-7 Buccaneers in their first playoff game.

Yeah, I guess you're right. The Giants had no momentum at all and went to the superbowl off nothing but pure luck.

That Pats game totally set up because it proved to them that they could play with anyone. If you don't want to believe that then don't, makes no difference to me. My comment was in reference to their road winning streak. They hit their stride and were set up perfectly for their situation (on the road the whole time), like it or not.

ddh33

Reaction score
All that matters is getting in. Then, all that matters is what you do when you're there.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
How sweet would it be to get in and meet the Steelers in SB.

Even the SB series at 2-2.

Cowboys... first to six!

HA!