Dan Marino
Deion Sanders
Joe Montana

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Jim Brown has to be in that list. :)

IMO, Jim Brown's stats were inflated because of the era he played in. Defenses were much slower then, not as many athletes, and Brown was simply superior to everyone else on the field. However, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and Emmitt Smith would have had insane numbers, likely over 20,000-25,000 yards had they played then.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Jim Brown
Jerry Rice
LT
Reggie White
Emmitt Smith
John Elway
Ronnie Lott
Munoz
Joe Montana
Deion Sanders

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
IMO, Jim Brown's stats were inflated because of the era he played in. Defenses were much slower then, not as many athletes, and Brown was simply superior to everyone else on the field. However, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and Emmitt Smith would have had insane numbers, likely over 20,000-25,000 yards had they played then.

So you're gonna penalize the guy for being a freak of nature? You can only compare him to others in his era.

He was bigger than some defensive linemen...and faster than WR's...

He would be the equivalent of a 270lb running back who runs a 4.4 today.

Your list doesn't have anyone who dates back much further than the late 80's.

Deacon Jones...Bob Lilly...John Unitas...Bart Starr...Otto Graham...Dick Butkus...all greats.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

OP patrol -

Inflated how? He ran for over what 12,000 yards in 8/9 seasons playing 12 game seasons. If Brown had played 16 game seasons he'd have 18,000 yards and the guys you referenced played 12 game seasons stats would be reduced 25%.

Brown's YPG were unparalled. He was a beast amongst boys. One could argue in the 60's there was a higher talent pool versus todays 30+ team league.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
So you're gonna penalize the guy for being a freak of nature? You can only compare him to others in his era.

He was bigger than some defensive linemen...and faster than WR's...

He would be the equivalent of a 270lb running back who runs a 4.4 today.

Your list doesn't have anyone who dates back much further than the late 80's.

Deacon Jones...Bob Lilly...John Unitas...Bart Starr...Otto Graham...Dick Butkus...all greats.

Im not penalizing him, Im simply saying that those on the list were more talented players than him. And Bart Starr was a bus driver on a very great team, but Ive never understood why hes considered one of the greatest ever. Yes, he won more titles than any QB in the modern era, but he also had arguably the best team ever around him.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
OP patrol -

Inflated how? He ran for over what 12,000 yards in 8/9 seasons playing 12 game seasons. If Brown had played 16 game seasons he'd have 18,000 yards and the guys you referenced played 12 game seasons stats would be reduced 25%.

Brown's YPG were unparalled. He was a beast amongst boys. One could argue in the 60's there was a higher talent pool versus todays 30+ team league.

No, you cant argue that. Todays players are undeniably faster, stronger, and more athletic than players were then. Yes, he was a beast amongst boys, THEN. He wouldnt be had he played in the same league the other guys did. He would have been great yes, but he wouldnt have averaged 150 YPG or whatever number it was. But come on, if Barry Sanders had been running in the 60s with his 4.25 speed, with defenders not running anything close to that like they do now, he would have scored on every play.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Brown is hands down greatest football player ever. Dominated his sport in his era totally.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Nors said:
Brown is hands down greatest football player ever. Dominated his sport in his era totally.

On the Nosey.

You won't find any poll, anywhere, that doesn't have Brown as the greatest player ever.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
heavy, i'll give you a list of 10 players who i've had the pleasure of seeing play in my 30 years of watching football. there is a hell of alot of great players that have played this game like jim brown, butkus, merle olsen, sammy baugh etc. that i never got to see but were greats in their era.

10 great players i enjoyed watching were:

1. john elway
2. emmitt smith
3. jack lambert
4. randy white
5. joe montana
6. curtis martin
7. earl campbell
8. lawrence taylor
9. jerry rice
10. walter payton

heavy, there is so many....................

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
some old school names

Deacon Jones
Gayle Sayers
Bart Starr
Night Train Lane
Butkus

Some modern day players that may be there someday

Brady
Lewis
Moss
Tomlinson
Manning

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To make a list of the top 10 NFL players ever and not include Brown completely discredits the list.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i can name 3 players that had they not been injured would be in the top 10:

billy sims
gale sayers
bo jackson

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Joe Montana
Jerry Rice
Roger Staubach
Barry Sanders
Emmitt Smith
Johnny Unitas
Sammy Baugh
Lawrence Taylor

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I want to do my list without looking at anyone else's. Mine will be very different. I'm looking at guys who revolutionized the game or the gap to 2nd best at their position is a long gap.

1. Jerry Rice
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Jim Brown
4. Ronnie Lott
5. Johnny Unitas
6. Larry Allen
7. Reggie White
8. Walter Payton
9. Dick Butkus
10. Deion Sanders

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Billy Sims stats in 60 games played from 1980- 1984 before his knee was torn to pieces:

rushing att. 1131
yards: 5106
avg. 4.5
td. 42

rec. 186
yards. 2072
td. 5

that is sick!

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
No, you cant argue that. Todays players are undeniably faster, stronger, and more athletic than players were then. Yes, he was a beast amongst boys, THEN. He wouldnt be had he played in the same league the other guys did. He would have been great yes, but he wouldnt have averaged 150 YPG or whatever number it was. But come on, if Barry Sanders had been running in the 60s with his 4.25 speed, with defenders not running anything close to that like they do now, he would have scored on every play.

You know the problem with your argument?

If you put Brown in today's game he'd have the benefit of the training and nutritional improvements that today's players have.

By the same token put today's players in the 50's and they can't train year a round, because they'd have to work in the offseason, they won't be lifting weights or eating the same way.

Great football players are great period, and Jim Brown is without a doubt the best football player EVER, and it's not even close.

To not have him in your top ten is ridiculous, and screams of a total lack of football knowledge.