10 greatest players of all-time?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Gale Sayers or Bo Jackson, either one could have been the best ever with full careers.

I know I'll never hear a football guy say Brown was over rated. I guarantee you that right now.

I have a few DVD's of games in which Bo Jackson played.

He was another physical freak. Power and speed combination was awesome.

Jackson might have been a great RB but Sayers was a great runner...I dont think Bo had the moves Sayers had.... 8 kick returns for TD's in five seasons about says it all for me.

Although, I wouldn't have a problem with either guy being on my team. :)

Here's a defensive player who's been faked out of his shorts by Sayers...

10108567.jpg

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
And if you think players today dont work in the offseason, it is you with the lack of football knowledge.

Right on Heava! Why, just the other day, I seen Julius Jones workin' the late night window at Wendys. And he messed up my order.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Right on Heava! Why, just the other day, I seen Julius Jones workin' the late night window at Wendys. And he messed up my order.

Yours too!!!??? :eek:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I have a few DVD's of games in which Bo Jackson played.

He was another physical freak. Power and speed combination was awesome.

[/img]

jackson's career was candle-flicker brief.

he was a fine RB for the very abbreviated time he played - but has no business being mentioned in this thread.

durability should be a prerequisite for consideration here.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Best pure runners were sayers and sanders Walter'd be 2nd here along with Dorsett
best power backs Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Walter'd be in the top 5 here.
Best reciever out of the backfield would be Roger Craig, Marshal Faulk and Walter.
Best leader and character at RB, well that's Walter.

Emmitt held on and on for 5 years with his dismal 3.2 ypc just to beat Walter's record like football's version of Ricky Henderson. Anyone who lived through that sad spectacle and can say that he was the best RB ever just because of it... well that person is just a HUGE yet obviously delusional Cowboys fan.

There's nothing wrong with that, on almost every other issue that's how people describe me. But Emmitt the best RB ever? Many argue he wasn't even the best back in his own era. Emmitt was blessed with some of the best O-lines in the history of the game, Moose and a great passing game. He's one of the greatest ever but he never came near Payton, Brown or Sayers in my eyes.

fortdick

Reaction score
Has anyone thought of OJ? That cutting, slashing style of his just killed the opposition. He would cut through the line like a butcher knife thru your ex-wife's neck.

He did have an impressive career and was consistenly at the top in rushing yards. If I recall correctly (which I may not, so help me out), didn't he rush for 2100 yards in a single season with an average Bills team?

Geez, a guy makes one mistake. . . ., OK, two if you count Ron Goldman, and everyone writes him off. Besides, he was a great actor, too! Well, better than Jim Brown anyway.

fortdick

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Speed is an ability that cant be taught. Athletes are simply getting naturally more talented as the years go on. Its true in all sports. Compare todays NBA players to those of the 60s and 70s? Compare todays home ruin hitters in baseball to those of years past?

Can you say Balco?

Players are bigger and stronger today due to modern chemistry. Imagine Butkis or Merlin Olsen on 'roids! instead of mean, huge and pi**ed off mean.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick said:
Geez, a guy makes one mistake. . . ., OK, two if you count Ron Goldman, and everyone writes him off.
I wouldn't call killing two people a "mistake".

gbrittain

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
Best pure runners were sayers and sanders Walter'd be 2nd here along with Dorsett
Best reciever out of the backfield would be Roger Craig, Marshal Faulk and Walter.

Emmitt held on and on for 5 years with his dismal 3.2 ypc just to beat Walter's record like football's version of Ricky Henderson. Anyone who lived through that sad spectacle and can say that he was the best RB ever just because of it... well that person is just a HUGE yet obviously delusional Cowboys fan.

There's nothing wrong with that, on almost every other issue that's how people describe me. But Emmitt the best RB ever? Many argue he wasn't even the best back in his own era. Emmitt was blessed with some of the best O-lines in the history of the game, Moose and a great passing game. He's one of the greatest ever but he never came near Payton, Brown or Sayers in my eyes.

Have to disagree with you here. Emmitt broke Payton's record in a Cowboy uniform. He averaged 3.8 ypc the year he broke the record, 3.9 ypc the year before and 4.1 ypc the year before that.

He was not the same Emmitt as he was in his early years, but show me a RB in his 13th year who is?

How good was that passing game, OL, and Moose Johnston in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jim Brown
Roger Staubach
Emmitt Smith
Walter Payton
Reggie White
LT
Deion
Singletary
Bah, Jerry Rice
Bah Joe Montana

Prolly 30 others who are worthy of this list. Hard to name just 10.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nightshade said:

Sayers never got close to Emmitt because of injuries. Great for a brief time like Earl Campbell. He played 5 or 6 years.

If you have a bunch of categories Emmitt will rank in each. He was a great short yardage guy, a great blocker for a true RB, a good receiver out of the backfield, he didn't fumble, he was extremely durable. He was a better back then Barry at the least and nothing wrong with being behind Brown and basically equal to Payton. Emmitt was the best goal line runner in the NFL as his TD records demonstrated.