Reaction score
10. uhhh...
5. errrr..
1. hmmm...

ummm... sorry... I got nothin'... :D

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Okay... I am (was) a HUGE hip hop fan. But I have to clarify. Maybe it's because I've gotten older or maybe because the youth in this country has gotten dumber... either way, the hip hop of today is CRAP. 50 cent= crap. Nelly= crap. Chingy= crap. All of it... garbage.

But there was a time when hip hop peaked and showcased a lot of talent, believe it or not. It was driven by well written lyrics with excellent delivery over complimentary beats. Those days seem to have given way to ignorant club anthems with jackass emcees who hollar the same crap over and over and over.

I could list a lot of excellent hip hop from yesteryear that is truly creative and well done but I guess no one would read it here anyway. But just know that hip hop has not always been worthless. I'm pretty confident that I could recommend some stuff that many who hate rap would actually like.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Public Enemy - The only rap group where I actually still have cds/tapes of because if I break them out now they are still just as good as they were then.

BDP - Guy, KRS 1, had a way with words and to make you think, even if you did not agree with him.

Run DMC - They were never the best rappers per se but still gotta give em props.

Erik B and Rakim - see BDP.

LL Cool J - People may think he is nothing, but the kid had serious skills, just listen to nitro if you need to hear em as a younger guy, and one of the few that has had power to keep coming back with stuff.

NWA - Now the downside is they started the gangsta rap stuff, however to ignore a group that had Eazy- E (although he had little talent), Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and MC Ren would be a mistake. I could easily give Dr. Dre and Ice Cube their own spot on the list but decided to keep them together.

Tupac - Like him, don't like him, really makes no difference as the guy had skill in his genre.

Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel (& the Furious Five also on sugar hill records aka Sugar hill gang) - (Ooooh...White Lines) Vision dreams of passion
(Blowin through my mind) And all the while I think of you. When you heard the opening you just loved the song.

Beastie Boys - Like em, hate em, call them rap or rock, they really opened a lot of doors for rap in the mainstream audience and radio.

P-Funk - They actually have a song called Chocolate City that is considered to be one of the first rap songs, before there was real rap. Also since so many rap artists have sampled their work, and since I just like P-Funk...I will use them to round off the list.

can anyone tell that I do not listen to rap now...since all of mine are old school. :cool:

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Wow Brain.
That's not just old scool...
That's from a time when the term hip hop wasn't even used. It was strictly called "RAP".

From that list, I'd agree with some Eric B and Rakim and Beastie Boys.

But the best hip hop happened about a decade later once the music evolved.

Redman
De La Sol
Mad Skillz
The Alkaholiks
Talib Kwali
Tribe called Quest...

k19

Reaction score
haha my list is alot like your BP

Rock Master Scott & the Dynamic Three

Doug E. Fresh & the Get Fresh Crew

Erik B and Rakim

KRS-One Boogie Down Prouctions

Run DMC

Whodini

Roxanne Shante

Sugar Hill Gang

Kurtis Blow

Fat Boys

Grandmaster Flash

Can't forget the Beasties and Public Enemy

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing wrong with a lil old school, Brain. I like your list. KRS-One came to UH way back in the day to speak and he truly was a great orator. (If I dig for it, I could prolly find the notes from it. When I was doing the journalism thing full-time, I was taking notes almost religiously.)

To stay on that vibe, I'd like to add some ladies to the mix.

Queen Latifah - Truly the queen of hip-hop

Salt n Pepa - One of the more successful female hip hop groups without being trashy.

MC Lyte - She truly is an MC.

As far as some current male hip-hop artists just based either on lyrical content and/or lyrical flow, I like, in no particular order:

Common - content/flow
Mos Def - content/flow
Kanye West - content/flow
Jay-Z - flow
The Roots - content/flow/musicality - the guys are skilled
Eminem - flow/content (so-so)
Ice Cube - flow/ content (so-so)
Public Enemy - content
LL - content... There's a reason the ladies do luv him... ~sigh~
Redman - pulled that from Qwik..
Method - luv his flow

I'm sure I could prolly come up w/some more, but I gotta kinda get back to work. :)

------
One thing I hated about the whole gangsta rap movement or whatever, it took the ladies out the game. It didn't really look cool for a woman to try to play hard. Unfortunately, they decided to go trashy on the pre-text of being sexy. There's nothing sexy about Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, and Trina, IMO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
k19 said:

Erik B and Rakim

Run DMC

Whodini

Roxanne Shante

Sugar Hill Gang

Kurtis Blow

Fat Boys

Grandmaster Flash

Roxanne Shante!!!! :puke:

Man, I remember all the Roxanne songs from that time. I'm surprised you didn't mention JJ Fad... :rolleyes: :)

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Salt n Pepa - One of the more successful female hip hop groups without being trashy.
IMO.

Great now I have that song Push It stuck in my head

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
P-Funk - They actually have a song called Chocolate City that is considered to be one of the first rap songs, before there was real rap. Also since so many rap artists have sampled their work, and since I just like P-Funk...I will use them to round off the list.

Are you gonna list P-Funk in the "Top 10 Country Artists" thread too? :D

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Nothing wrong with a lil old school, Brain. I like your list. KRS-One came to UH way back in the day to speak and he truly was a great orator. (If I dig for it, I could prolly find the notes from it. When I was doing the journalism thing full-time, I was taking notes almost religiously.)

To stay on that vibe, I'd like to add some ladies to the mix.

Queen Latifah - Truly the queen of hip-hop

MC Lyte - She truly is an MC.

As far as some current male hip-hop artists just based either on lyrical content and/or lyrical flow, I like, in no particular order:

Common - content/flow
Mos Def - content/flow
Kanye West - content/flow
Jay-Z - flow
The Roots - content/flow/musicality - the guys are skilled
Eminem - flow/content (so-so)
Ice Cube - flow/ content (so-so)
Public Enemy - content
LL - content... There's a reason the ladies do luv him... ~sigh~
Redman - pulled that from Qwik..
Method - luv his flow

I'm sure I could prolly come up w/some more, but I gotta kinda get back to work. :)

------
One thing I hated about the whole gangsta rap movement or whatever, it took the ladies out the game. It didn't really look cool for a woman to try to play hard. Unfortunately, they decided to go trashy on the pre-text of being sexy. There's nothing sexy about Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, and Trina, IMO.
I'll give you MC LYTE.
But Queen Latifah= wack.
Salt N Peppa= wack.

There is really only one worthy female emcee that I've heard in 2 decades+ of hip hop.
Bahamadia (discovered by the Roots, out of Philly)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kangaroo said:
Great now I have that song Push It stuck in my head
Push it good... :D

Seriously, they did have a lot of cool songs. Too bad they grew up and decided to focus on family. :(

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:

Man, I remember all the Roxanne songs from that time. I'm surprised you didn't mention JJ Fad... :rolleyes: :)
Here's one you probably won't recognize.

UTFO (starring Kangol)

They were always battling with Roxanne in their songs.

"Roxanne Roxanne... I wanna be you man."

k19

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:

I'm showing my age again arent I :cool:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
Wow Brain.
That's not just old scool...
That's from a time when the term hip hop wasn't even used. It was strictly called "RAP".

From that list, I'd agree with some Eric B and Rakim and Beastie Boys.

But the best hip hop happened about a decade later once the music evolved.

Redman
De La Sol
Mad Skillz
The Alkaholiks
Talib Kwali
Tribe called Quest...

The title read best RAP/HipHop....I like the old school stuff. Then I got out of it and never went back to getting into rap. :cool:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
k19 said:

Erik B and Rakim

Run DMC

Whodini

Roxanne Shante

Sugar Hill Gang

Kurtis Blow

Fat Boys

Grandmaster Flash

Haha YES.

Whodini - You got the mouth all mighty tongue everlasting, you aint satisfied unless somethings happening...you gotta a Big Mouth a Big Mouth lol

Oh and the Roxanne vs UTFO songs. :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
I'll give you MC LYTE.
But Queen Latifah= wack.
Salt N Peppa= wack.

There is really only one worthy female emcee that I've heard in 2 decades+ of hip hop.
Bahamadia (discovered by the Roots, out of Philly)
Your entitled to your opinion of Latifah and Salt n Pepa, of course, but I luv'd them. For lady rappers, I liked what they brought to the table.

I didn't forget Bahamadia, I just couldn't remember how to spell her name real quickly.;) I like her skills, but I've always liked the Queen more. Her early stuff was truly underrated. When she decided to start singing and then the acting then, she's not really looked upon as a rapper anymore. But when she and Lyte first came out, there was nobody better.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Sorry a lot of this part of music is lost one me

I know Run DMC, beasties at Fat Boy but other than those like none in that time period I was listening to

Metallic Master Puppets and Ride the Lighting albums
Suicidal Tendencies
Dead Milkmen
MegaDeath
Violent Fems
Agent Orange
Red Hot Chili Peppers early years Uplift Mo Party freeky style and Mothers Milk
etc
etc