10 Greatest Rap/Hip-Hop Bands...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Are you gonna list P-Funk in the "Top 10 Country Artists" thread too? :D

You'll get no country list from me....besides it was BNA who used P-Funk in the other list and I said they did not belong on that list.
They don't really belong on this list but they have more connection to this genre then the other imo. :)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
Here's one you probably won't recognize.

UTFO (starring Kangol)

They were always battling with Roxanne in their songs.

"Roxanne Roxanne... I wanna be you man."
Of course I remember that song. Hell I knew the words to it, too.

Me and my homegirls back then were the "Beastie Girls" I was a beat boxer. :cool: :lmao:

k19

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Haha YES.

Whodini - You got the mouth all mighty tongue everlasting, you aint satisfied unless somethings happening...you gotta a Big Mouth a Big Mouth lol

Oh and the Roxanne vs UTFO songs. :D

UTFO's Bite it and Calling her a Crab :lmao:

I forgot the one hit wonders like

Oran "juice" jones - The Rain
The Boogie Boys - Fly Girl

Remember "Egyptian Lover"?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
If you want an example of GREAT hip hop...
dl this one.

The Roots- "What They Do"
http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1DJHZWMM484L93TK8KS7XLHPWB

I've got some on my comp if anyone's interested.
The vid for that song is what turned me on to them. I luv'd it and then when "You got me" came out, I was sold. So now I've been trying to go back and find all their stuff before I knew about them. I buy whatever they put out now. Even it stays in the plastic for awhile. I buy too many CDs to listen to them right away.

Oh and I forgot to add one. I like Missy Elliot, not so much for content, but for her versatility.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Altho my hubby burns or brings home more new stuff than we have time to listen to, I too peaked with Guru. I admit a great fondness for DMX tho, and yeah, I can actually listen to Ja Rule with something like a straight face. And I love Outkast - can see why they rate high with NFL players

A few of the old school artists I really loved.

A Tribe Called Quest - anything, but Midnite Marauders was my fave.

Public Enemy - I highly recommend the "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" CD. This was the direction that rap looked like it was going in when I fell in love with it.

The Fugees - Lauryn Hill

Black Star = Black Star Mos Def!

Dr. Dre - he's the artist I most identify "growing old " with.

Ice Cube - before he went Hollywood, he was my guy. Death Certificate, lol.

And of course Guru - the Jazzmatazz albums are state of the art.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Good call on Guru but the real genius behind his tracks is his producer- DJ Premier. (possibly the best producer in hip hop ever)

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
1.Tupac (simply the best, talked about more than just drugs and being a gangsta.)
2.Biggie (very talented, almost underrated by many)
3.Run DMC (most influental band ever)
4.Nas (lyrical genuis)
5.Eminem (one of the best flow I've ever heard. brought white america into rap.)
6.NWA (ice cube most all around star in the rap game ever)
7.Jay Z (ice cold)

thats all i can think of.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tio said:
1.Tupac (simply the best, talked about more than just drugs and being a gangsta.)
2.Biggie (very talented, almost underrated by many)
3.Run DMC (most influental band ever)
4.Nas (lyrical genuis)
5.Eminem (one of the best flow I've ever heard. brought white america into rap.)
6.NWA (ice cube most all around star in the rap game ever)
7.Jay Z (ice cold)

thats all i can think of.
Actually the Beastie Boys did that. Eminem may have made it a touch more popular, but he didn't bring "white america" into rap.

Can't see how Biggie is underrated. Might not have been mentioned earlier, but I'm sure it's more oversight than anything else. He was lyrically gifted.

However, I am mad that I missed Outkast. Those cats got flow as well as content. I LIKE them.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Altho my hubby burns or brings home more new stuff than we have time to listen to, I too peaked with Guru. I admit a great fondness for DMX tho, and yeah, I can actually listen to Ja Rule with something like a straight face. And I love Outkast - can see why they rate high with NFL players.

Outkast reminds me of the old school rap and hip-hop more than most of the gangsta stuff that is out now. I've loved their albums for years now. They usually put out some good songs.

I'm really not much of a music fan, and really only know the mainstream stuff, but the 10 rap & hip-hop groups that have probably moved me the most (in lyrics or dancing) are:

Outkast

Snoop

Run DMC

Eminem

Naz

LL Cool J

Tupac

Beastie Boys

NWA & further stuff (especially Ice Cube & Dr. Dre)

Notorious B.I.G.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
10. uhhh...
5. errrr..
1. hmmm...

ummm... sorry... I got nothin'... :D

Awww..... c'mon TB, you know you've got that secret 50 Cent album next to your Ronald Reagan Memoirs and Best of Merle Haggard CD above the fireplace. :laugh2:

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Actually the Beastie Boys did that. Eminem may have made it a touch more popular, but he didn't bring "white america" into rap.

Can't see how Biggie is underrated. Might not have been mentioned earlier, but I'm sure it's more oversight than anything else. He was lyrically gifted.

However, I am mad that I missed Outkast. Those cats got flow as well as content. I LIKE them.
THe fact is WG that many white people (a lot of friends of mine included) didn't even try to experiance with rap. Ever since my name is by slim, many people of different groups have been listening to him at first for the comedy and than he realeased much more serious stuff. Pretty soon people were listening to other groups, and now hip hop is the most popular music style in the world today. He definately influenced that, to a major degree. Talk to many youths today, they can probably only name 1 beastie boys song.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tio said:
THe fact is WG that many white people (a lot of friends of mine included) didn't even try to experiance with rap. Ever since my name is by slim, many people of different groups have been listening to him at first for the comedy and than he realeased much more serious stuff. Pretty soon people were listening to other groups, and now hip hop is the most popular music style in the world today. He definately influenced that, to a major degree. Talk to many youths today, they can probably only name 1 beastie boys song.

Maybe you are younger, maybe you were not into it then.

But your statement brought white america into rap, what WG said is more on then yours.

Simply because the beastie boys really brought much of the young white audience into rap and they got into it so much that even if you read interviews of Public Enemy at the time they will tell you that many times while on tour and at the show they would have more white kids then black kids there to watch them.....this was back in the mid to late 80's ....almost twenty ago before slim shady.

He may have brought that back but to be honest by that time MANY white kids were buying rap and had being buying rap, following rap and so on for YEARS.

For the longest time the biggest thing for MTV (as far as rap goes) was Beastie Boys and also Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff because it was deemed "safe".

Heck even Vanilla Ice made a big dent into the market around 1990.

Once again Slim Shady may be a great rapper, he may have sold millions of records, he may have brought some more white american into rap....but there is no way in heck that he is responsible for the majority of them listening to rap because many were listening before that and mostly because of the beastie boys and the Fresh Prince getting the few rap heavy showings on MTV in the earlier days.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tio said:
Due to your age, I can believe that. But the Beastie Boys were the first to ever do it and you can't imagine their popularity in the 80s. Between them,Run DMC, and PE on Def Jam all gave it crossover appeal. By the time you got interested in it, unfortunately they were past their prime in the industry, at least in this country. License to Ill is a classic whether the younger generation is aware of it or not.

But they laid the foundation for Em to do his thing and that can't be discounted. I'm by no means knocking Em's influence either. He's truly a gifted lyricist, but IMO, the Beastie Boys put it out there first, they just couldn't sustain it. Em just picked up the torch and took it to the next level.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually now that I think of it...that My Name is Slim Shady video really is a take off of what the Fresh Prince captured so many years back.

It was a comedy video, it had the guys playing multiple characters.

Back in the day Rap was seen by many in white america as dangerous music....it did not get much radio play except in black communities, it did not get much play on MTV.

But the beastie boys and Fresh Prince changed that....both made funny videos, both were safe music (actually fresh prince was more safe while the beastie boys was a little racy but they were white and got away with some of it in the public eye).

MTV...good or bad....has had a HUGE influence on music and what becomes popular to the masses....the beastie boys and the Fresh Prince really opened up the genre of RAP to white america and it has not stopped since.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Maybe you are younger, maybe you were not into it then.

But your statement brought white america into rap, what WG said is more on then yours.

Simply because the beastie boys really brought much of the young white audience into rap and they got into it so much that even if you read interviews of Public Enemy at the time they will tell you that many times while on tour and at the show they would have more white kids then black kids there to watch them.....this was back in the mid to late 80's ....almost twenty ago before slim shady.

He may have brought that back but to be honest by that time MANY white kids were buying rap and had being buying rap, following rap and so on for YEARS.

For the longest time the biggest thing for MTV (as far as rap goes) was Beastie Boys and also Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff because it was deemed "safe".

Heck even Vanilla Ice made a big dent into the market around 1990.

Once again Slim Shady may be a great rapper, he may have sold millions of records, he may have brought some more white american into rap....but there is no way in heck that he is responsible for the majority of them listening to rap because many were listening before that and mostly because of the beastie boys and the Fresh Prince getting the few rap heavy showings on MTV in the earlier days.
You said it much better than I could have.
That's why I like you Brain...:cool:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woody'sGirl said:
You said it much better than I could have.
That's why I like you Brain...:cool:

Thanks....and although I thought the Queen was ok, not great, as a rapper....I have always thought she was pretty and liked her on her TV show and movies.

Meant to comment on that earlier and forgot. :D

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Top 10.

1. Rakim(w/ Eric B.)
2. Biggie
3. Scarface(Geto Boys)
4. Redman
5. Tupac
6. Whodini
7. LL Cool J (longevity)
8. Ice Cube
9. Eminem
10. 8ball and MJG or Jay Z
honorable mention to UGK.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another group, as WG touched on earlier, that helped with the crossover of rap to white america was Aerosmith and Run DMC doing Walk this way together, and once again was showed in heavy rotation on MTV.

Another of the forerunners to todays Rock/Rap fusion was Public Enemy and the metal Group Anthrax....they may have been the first metal band to rap with their fun song I'm the Man.

Chuck D was looking at a magazine and the guitarist (scott Ian) from anthrax was a huge Public Enemy fan...anyways Scott, in the picture in the magazine, was wearing a public Enemy T-Shirt.

Later when Chuck D wrote the classic PE song "bring the noise" he added a line "wax is for anthrax and still it can rock bells"

Years later Anthrax and Public Enemy got together and did a remake of that song with the heavy metal guitars.

So Walk this way (aerosmith/run dmc) and Bring the noise (PE/Anthrax) really also helped lay the ground work to areas of music that were mostly white kids and brought some of them, or at least opened up some of them, to rap music.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Thanks....and although I thought the Queen was ok, not great, as a rapper....I have always thought she was pretty and liked her on her TV show and movies.

Meant to comment on that earlier and forgot. :D
I rate female rappers a little differently than the male rappers. Don't know why, but I do.

And really when Queen first came out, she really was quite talented, IMO. She sidestepped into other entertainment avenues and her skills leveled off. Lyrically MC Lyte was the best back in the day, but I've always liked Queen more.