10 things I think Week 4 edition

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Wow. A Cowboy fan I actually kind of like. This is weird. Nice post OP.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1. The 3-0 was expected but the overall dominance to get here this way has been very impressive. The offense has been dominant and the defense has been vintage bend but don't break. Scoring defense is what is important and point differential is very telling.
2. Fans actually complaining about a 31-6 win says more about the fan than anyone else. Some people are just joy vampires. No NFL team wins EVERY PLAY. The NFL is built to keep games close and entertaining.
3. Dak Prescott is the best QB under 35 not named Mahomes. That just is the truth. If you had Dak at 14-18 and championing your realism maybe you weren't so much realistic as just wrong?
4. Zeke is off to a career best start. The opponents haven't hurt but he plays 2 of the same 3 opponents again so don't expect that train to stop.
5. Philly. ... ROFL. Philly GM Roseman is great??? LOL. Most shallow roster in the NFL.
6. How is Witten ripping off 30+ yard runs? Insane. But sometimes know how matters. The old man in me applauds.
7. DAL played MIA like a BYE week(rested 6 guys) and won 31-6.
8. Quinn will help the pass rush this season. And DAL likely goes R1 at DL again if they keep the pick. Not a bad formula. When I hear Will McClay's name I just play in my head Scarface's "feels so good to be a gangster". --If there ever is an Office Space 2 they must get Jason Garrett on that thing right? ---- Anyoen still mad at Jason for clapping?
9. DAL won't go 16-0 so they'll take a loss and likely here in next 3-4 weeks but DAL is better than anyone on the schedule except NE. You don't win every game you should however. A few of these teams are good enough to play with us and then a play here or there can break either way. DAL should aim for home field in the playoffs but a loss would be good to get that 16-0 concept/distraction tossed out the window.
10. Jamal Adams in Dallas would be the kind of epic fit that is almost unfair. I type this about 10 mins from Jamal Adams' High School Hebron where my oldest graduated. It is also 10 minutes from The Star. He has been a 5 star performer at every level and at a posiition where DAL is easily upgradable and the rare position where lacks a young known option to improve. --Wilson may be that in all fairness but no signs just yet that he is. All that said the price paid for Minkah is scary high and teams knwo DAL is good so the picks are late. But give me this dream.

Definitely a feel good piece, but I dont have much to complain about. AS a fan, I find myself more interested in what is still wrong with the team then what is right.

Many of us called the 3-0 start and the big jump in Dak and the offense with Moore leading the way.

Quinn looks good, but at present he is the only guy besides Lawrence that can create much of a pass rush.

The defense is NOT championship quality at this state. Same weaknesses still remain at DT and safety. Nothing has changed there. Playing against a bunch of low level teams doesnt change that.

15-1, which I think is what you are saying is a lofty goal and unrealistic. NFL simply doesnt work that way. We will lose games and to teams we are better than. Thats just he way the NFL works.

I would jump for joy if they traded for a safety like Adams. First round picks at the end of the first I could care less about so give away for quality players.

davidariust24

Reaction score
I was very impressed with Quinn. Maybe it was the comp, but he seemed to beat his man nearly every rush to force the QB to step up.

Quinn is going to help this team tremendously. He has so much speed. Even if he doesn't get the qb. He makes the qb have to step up in the pocket to where someone else can get him. Him and Cobb are huge additions for this team.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Good Post. I think the D will be a little more aggressive in the coming weeks. I think they played it pretty safe the first 2.5 weeks based on the competition we were playing. I noticed they started picking up the intensity in the 3Q yesterday, more looks, more zone blitz, etc. It resulted in 3 sacks and about 65 yards of total offense in the 2nd half for the Dolphins. Complete domination in other words.

I am excited to see if D. Wilson can be the ball hawk we lack in the back end. A few more turnovers would make this team almost un-beatable.

I have been harsh on Dak and after 3 years, I had him around 15th on the QB list. I think his play was average for most of 17-18, and at times, down right horrible. But he is starting to win me over. He has made tremendous progress with his mechanics since last year. I am still wanting to see how he handles pressure, the first 3 teams haven't really done much of that. But the few times he has been pressured, he has handled it really well and maintain his footwork, which was a problem in the past. he is going to get a big fat check.

This week should be fun. Go Cowboys.
Dak was performing like a middle of the pack QB, now he looks like a top 5 QB.

I didnt think it was possible. He has improved in every way. I don't think I've ever seen a QB improve as fast as he has. Just watch his footwork while he has the ball or the velocity and accuracy of his throws. It's crazy! This guy has put the work in. He has changed my tune. He deserves top dollar.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore maybe the best half time adjuster since father TOM...and that's as big a compliment you'll ever hear out of me.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Moore maybe the best half time adjuster since father TOM...and that's as big a compliment you'll ever hear out of me.

I keep hearing about Half time adjustments, it was the rally cry against Garrett and Scotty every week it seemed. So I am wondering, when do they do the adjustments? How many adjustments can actually be made at halftime? I think, actually i know, halftime adjustments is a huge crock. Adjustments are made after every series both on D and on O. But let's look at the half time.

NFL halftimes are around 12 minutes - not including special games like the SB.

2-3 minutes are spent just getting to the locker rooms
5-6 min are spent by players, doing equipment adjustments (torn jerseys etc). going to the rest room, getting some fluids and maybe a protein bar or something.
some players get treatment, re taped, etc.

So we are at 8 min out of 12, another 2 min-3 min are needed to get back on the field, some stretching, warm up etc.

So you are telling me in 1-2 minutes time, major adjustments are made to the game plan that shape the game the rest of the way? Not!!

The coaches meet and discuss what has and hasn't worked. They decide which plays to keep going with in the 2nd H and which ones to scrap from the game plan. They can also make decisions on blocking assignments, who needs help that we weren't expecting to need it, etc. They tweak the plan and they go back out. There is no major alterations made at half-time. There is just not enough time to do that kind of stuff.

This isn't 1970 when coaches had to wait to get film developed and then review it at half time and make changes. They get that stuff instantly now and adjustments are made on the fly during the game.

And most adjustments are very simple things that we don't notice at all. They don't change their game plan. Players work on certain plays during the week, based on the game plan the coaches put together on Monday and Tuesday. The game plan book is about 1/4 of the overall playbook. If it's not added to the game plan during the week, it's off the table on Game days. So there is only so much that can be done, within the game plan for that week.

I would venture to guess that the Defense makes much bigger adjustments than the offense on any given Sunday. Do we blitz more, or less, do we roll coverage to a wR that is going off, is the WR we were doubling struggling today so we can do other things now, etc. Offense is pretty limited in what they can actually change up.

But I agree with the overall sentiment that Moore is doing an outstanding job and seems to have a really good feel for the game and calling plays.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're making it little too complex.
By halftime adjustments usually you're just changing plays that will be more effective against what they're doing to you on that given day.
For instance you can tell a receiver when you lineup on a certain play if they're giving you this look change your route to this.
The point is Linehan made no adjustments whatsoever he thought his offense was the best on the planet and if everybody executed we would win.
Unfortunately defenses don't play you straight anymore so if you're gonna be totally effective you gotta keep them guessing and adjust on the run.
For instance they made an adjustment on the defense Miami was using and started going to the seam route and it was wide open.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I keep hearing about Half time adjustments, it was the rally cry against Garrett and Scotty every week it seemed. So I am wondering, when do they do the adjustments? How many adjustments can actually be made at halftime? I think, actually i know, halftime adjustments is a huge crock. Adjustments are made after every series both on D and on O. But let's look at the half time.

NFL halftimes are around 12 minutes - not including special games like the SB.

2-3 minutes are spent just getting to the locker rooms
5-6 min are spent by players, doing equipment adjustments (torn jerseys etc). going to the rest room, getting some fluids and maybe a protein bar or something.
some players get treatment, re taped, etc.

So we are at 8 min out of 12, another 2 min-3 min are needed to get back on the field, some stretching, warm up etc.

So you are telling me in 1-2 minutes time, major adjustments are made to the game plan that shape the game the rest of the way? Not!!

The coaches meet and discuss what has and hasn't worked. They decide which plays to keep going with in the 2nd H and which ones to scrap from the game plan. They can also make decisions on blocking assignments, who needs help that we weren't expecting to need it, etc. They tweak the plan and they go back out. There is no major alterations made at half-time. There is just not enough time to do that kind of stuff.

This isn't 1970 when coaches had to wait to get film developed and then review it at half time and make changes. They get that stuff instantly now and adjustments are made on the fly during the game.

And most adjustments are very simple things that we don't notice at all. They don't change their game plan. Players work on certain plays during the week, based on the game plan the coaches put together on Monday and Tuesday. The game plan book is about 1/4 of the overall playbook. If it's not added to the game plan during the week, it's off the table on Game days. So there is only so much that can be done, within the game plan for that week.

I would venture to guess that the Defense makes much bigger adjustments than the offense on any given Sunday. Do we blitz more, or less, do we roll coverage to a wR that is going off, is the WR we were doubling struggling today so we can do other things now, etc. Offense is pretty limited in what they can actually change up.

But I agree with the overall sentiment that Moore is doing an outstanding job and seems to have a really good feel for the game and calling plays.
Garrett said they are always making adjustments throughout the game. And I would hope so.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
1. The 3-0 was expected but the overall dominance to get here this way has been very impressive. The offense has been dominant and the defense has been vintage bend but don't break. Scoring defense is what is important and point differential is very telling.
2. Fans actually complaining about a 31-6 win says more about the fan than anyone else. Some people are just joy vampires. No NFL team wins EVERY PLAY. The NFL is built to keep games close and entertaining.
3. Dak Prescott is the best QB under 35 not named Mahomes. That just is the truth. If you had Dak at 14-18 and championing your realism maybe you weren't so much realistic as just wrong?
4. Zeke is off to a career best start. The opponents haven't hurt but he plays 2 of the same 3 opponents again so don't expect that train to stop.
5. Philly. ... ROFL. Philly GM Roseman is great??? LOL. Most shallow roster in the NFL.
6. How is Witten ripping off 30+ yard runs? Insane. But sometimes know how matters. The old man in me applauds.
7. DAL played MIA like a BYE week(rested 6 guys) and won 31-6.
8. Quinn will help the pass rush this season. And DAL likely goes R1 at DL again if they keep the pick. Not a bad formula. When I hear Will McClay's name I just play in my head Scarface's "feels so good to be a gangster". --If there ever is an Office Space 2 they must get Jason Garrett on that thing right? ---- Anyoen still mad at Jason for clapping?
9. DAL won't go 16-0 so they'll take a loss and likely here in next 3-4 weeks but DAL is better than anyone on the schedule except NE. You don't win every game you should however. A few of these teams are good enough to play with us and then a play here or there can break either way. DAL should aim for home field in the playoffs but a loss would be good to get that 16-0 concept/distraction tossed out the window.
10. Jamal Adams in Dallas would be the kind of epic fit that is almost unfair. I type this about 10 mins from Jamal Adams' High School Hebron where my oldest graduated. It is also 10 minutes from The Star. He has been a 5 star performer at every level and at a posiition where DAL is easily upgradable and the rare position where lacks a young known option to improve. --Wilson may be that in all fairness but no signs just yet that he is. All that said the price paid for Minkah is scary high and teams knwo DAL is good so the picks are late. But give me this dream.
I really enjoy reading this every week. Great job.