10 year contract extension for Mahomes worth $500 million

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually think this screws them....much the same way the Saints got screwed by signing Drew Brees. You just can't tie up that much money into one player...and still have a team. You just can't. I'm excited as hell now....Cowboys will be drafting a QB in 2021.

:dance:
The Cowboys probably will be drafting a QB in the mid rounds to replace Dalton. It’s much less likely the will draft a QB any higher than that.

plasticman

Reaction score
I just got off ancestor.com where I was checking my geniusology and guess what? I'm Patrick's 17th cousin! Yeah, I can't wait to let him know. I'm sure he appreciates family.Yep.......cousin Pat.......

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wonder if KC fans are freaking out. You know saying they will not be able to surround him with talent. Like provide him a defense or ST”s.
His talent can only carry the offense so far.
He now has a target on his back from all the defenses. Let’s see how he handles it.
Probably pretty good for a while, but for how long can the team stay in tact.

I mean our own fans use this about Dak, not being able to get good players if he signed even for $35 million. So why not Mahomes. It is still a team game.
I think they are ok for this year, but after that it will start to have an effect on keeping other talent.
Mahomes is so good, he can win with less talent, but this year and last, he has like dak , had a talented team to play with.
It will help to degrade the talent level, and there is no way it makes the team better than it is now.

I wonder how long they can keep tyrek hill and kelcy>? those are 2 essential players. And then keeping good DL or OL will be hard too.

no matter who the QB is , when they get paid this much, it is gonna hurt the team.
A 10 year deal does allow for low cap hits in some years though , but if they do that then there will be the big cap hit years
where mahomes make 60 mil or more.

I do think they were smart though to go with a long contract like 10 years, and 5 years from now it could look cheap.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak over-values his worth. They don’t have to set the market any higher, and they offered him a four year extension last year, like Goff and Webtz that he refused. He bet on himself and got outplayed by Wentz, who had a broken team.

COVID has completely changed the game. Plus, people act like economic growth is never ending. That has never happened in all of human history...

Mahomes deal is actually a bargain BTW. His contract is noteworthy because of COVID. And Goff isn’t low, with 110 million guaranteed.

How do you know they offered him a 4 year extension last year like the ones Goff and Wentz got? I recall either Jerry or Stephen saying they didn’t want to limit Dak to just 4 years, and I don’t recall the team or Dak ever saying what actually was offered.

cern

Reaction score
Romo was a wimp and it showed in the play offs. He was coached by 3 coaches including a HOF coach (Super Bowl winning Coach) and a future defensive HOF coach (Super Bowl winning coach). That just wasn't enough for his long meaningless career.
So who do you think we get that will take us to the SB in the draft, and will we have to lose all of our games to get the #1 pick? And if we did procure said number one pick, how do you know we'll win with him? How do you know he's a team player or not injury prone? And if he doesn't work out, then what? We start over again? And by then I'll be 60 years old, 35 years removed from a Super Bowl title? Yeah, your plan is genius.
He had the glitch. There is no cure.

Flamma

Reaction score
I actually think this screws them....much the same way the Saints got screwed by signing Drew Brees. You just can't tie up that much money into one player...and still have a team. You just can't. I'm excited as hell now....Cowboys will be drafting a QB in 2021.

I'm not so sure. It all depends on how fast the salary cap goes up. If the cap rises by the usual 10 mil a year, his contract will be great for the Chiefs as a lot of their cap hits are the same. And for the next 3 years his cap hits aren't that bad. I'm just surprised they didn't give him a bigger signing bonus. A 20 Mil signing bonus would have put 2020 at 15 mil cap hit and 2027 at 49 Mil instead of 59 Mil.

Tannehil makes more his first four years than Mahomes. It’s really not. The Chiefs can walk away any year after three, I believe.

They can't ever get out of his contract. His contract is set up that if he plays one year, the next year's salary and roster bonus is guaranteed. So it's a really high dead cap every year. They can't post those dead caps because they haven't gone into effect yet.

khiladi

Reaction score
How do you know they offered him a 4 year extension last year like the ones Goff and Wentz got? I recall either Jerry or Stephen saying they didn’t want to limit Dak to just 4 years, and I don’t recall the team or Dak ever saying what actually was offered.

I thought it was four, because that seemed to be what Goff and Wentz both got. Either way, the point is, Dak getting a five year deal puts him as a UFA with Goff and Wentz. Four gets him on the market earlier. He hasn’t shown anything that he deserves more. In fact, word is they upped the guaranteed money above these guys.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Says over $400 million in guaranteed mechanisms. Basically if he’s on the roster he’s getting laid crazy doe. Plus they can’t trade him so they’d have to release him. Sounds like a good deal for Mahomes. Way more money than what a guy like Brady was getting.
Well Brady was in his prime almost 20 years ago, at least 15.
And Tom wanted rings more than money.

Only time will tell, but all SB teams fall apart, have problems keeping their talent, so if mahomes doesnt win the next 2 SB's he
may not have a good enough team down the road.

Also dont forget this is an extension, it doesnt affect kc's cap for another 2 years?? 1 year? He will still be paid based on his rookie
contract for another year or 2.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm not so sure. It all depends on how fast the salary cap goes up. If the cap rises by the usual 10 mil a year, his contract will be great for the Chiefs as a lot of their cap hits are the same. And for the next 3 years his cap hits aren't that bad. I'm just surprised they didn't give him a bigger signing bonus. A 20 Mil signing bonus would have put 2020 at 15 mil cap hit and 2027 at 49 Mil instead of 59 Mil.

They can't ever get out of his contract. His contract is set up that if he plays one year, the next year's salary and roster bonus is guaranteed. So it's a really high dead cap every year. They can't post those dead caps because they haven't gone into effect yet.

What is Florio talking about then. He said the Chiefs can pretty much walk away any year without repercussions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/06/the-preliminary-patrick-mahomes-contract-details/

Flamma

Reaction score
I will add that if total is 503 mil, then it is 50 mil a year avg.

It's 10 years 450 Mil.

Absolutely insane numbers for this deal. 2020 is the year everyone lost their damn minds

Not really. If they gave him two 5 year contracts back to back he'd be making considerably more. This being all at once makes it look like that much more.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Luv your avatar
Butt-girl.jpg

She was a sideline announcer for some network, too bad we get dogs like erin andrews etc.
I got this pic from someone back in 2014 off the cowboys.com board or maybe when it was true blue forums.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak over-values his worth. They don’t have to set the market any higher, and they offered him a four year extension last year, like Goff and Webtz that he refused. He bet on himself and got outplayed by Wentz, who had a broken team.

COVID has completely changed the game. Plus, people act like economic growth is never ending. That has never happened in all of human history...

Mahomes deal is actually a bargain BTW. His contract is noteworthy because of COVID. And Goff isn’t low, with 110 million guaranteed.
Mahomes contract is a bargain? Based on his skill or based on what he could get on the open market?

And he did not get outplayed by Wentz........

He's overvaluing his worth? He's worth what someone is willing to pay and as of right now he has a 5 year deal on the table. He's set regardless. And he has a 5 year deal WITH Covid 19 on the table. He'd be undervaluing himself if he signed right now as opposed to closer to July 15th.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Well Brady was in his prime almost 20 years ago, at least 15.
And Tom wanted rings more than money.

Only time will tell, but all SB teams fall apart, have problems keeping their talent, so if mahomes doesnt win the next 2 SB's he
may not have a good enough team down the road.

Also dont forget this is an extension, it doesnt affect kc's cap for another 2 years?? 1 year? He will still be paid based on his rookie
contract for another year or 2.
It's a great deal for Mahomes. Basically if he's on the roster he's getting paid crazy money. He already has as many rings as Rodgers and Brees and a lot more money. Brady will be tough to catch but if he wins one or two more rings it'll be worth it for KC.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was four, because that seemed to be what Goff and Wentz both got. Either way, the point is, Dak getting a five year deal puts him as a UFA with Goff and Wentz. Four gets him on the market earlier. He hasn’t shown anything that he deserves more. In fact, word is they upped the guaranteed money above these guys.

Even if he had been offered the same deal as Goff and Wentz, which you admit is only your assumption, getting on the market earlier wouldn’t have meant he got a better deal, it would have just meant his rookie deal was shorter than theirs, therefore his 4 years extension would have started before their 4 year extensions.

Besides, he had no choice as a rookie on the timing difference between his rookie deal and those of Wentz and Goff. The league and CBA dictated that, and there is no expectation or obligation for him to change his timing to fit with theirs.

And it’s not as if the benefit on the rookie deals was all on his side because he got paid much less than they did.

Flamma

Reaction score
What is Florio talking about then. He said the Chiefs can pretty much walk away any year without repercussions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/06/the-preliminary-patrick-mahomes-contract-details/

He didn't have all of the information at the time. Mahomes gets an initial 141 million guaranteed. But at the beginning of every season a huge portion of the following season is guaranteed. This is every year. They have a huge dead cap if they cut him at almost anytime. The lowest is about 51 Mil dead cap and that's in 2031. Other years range from 80 Mil to over 100 Mil dead cap. I think one of the other low years was 59 Mil dead cap.

It's actually not a bad deal for the Chiefs. A 44 Mil cap hit in 2028 is going to look good.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, when this photo came out, it was noted that it WAS Erin Andrews
Butt-girl.jpg

She was a sideline announcer for some network, too bad we get dogs like erin andrews etc.
I got this pic from someone back in 2014 off the cowboys.com board or maybe when it was true blue forums.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lol. Dak money deniers are going to try to minimize this to the hilt. If you can find me one article that surmises this contract and says, "Yeah this is just a tinge more than Russell Wilson got when you compare" then I'll believe you.

I think Dak's getting around $37M per year at least. Hope respirators aren't on shortage then.
Doesn't both me.
Never has

I was just giving a per year net present value of Mahomes’ deal.
If its 5 years, 175 and 110+ guaranteed like most say, the current offer Dak is getting from Dallas is very good.