10 year contract extension for Mahomes worth $500 million

Flamma

Reaction score
Everyone assumes the salary cap will continue to go up. I don't think it will. Between Covid 19 and the growing unpopularity of the NFL...I think the NFL is in trouble. Hell they can't even help keep afloat minor league football. The XFL was working....but the NFL couldn't afford to help.

Right. Everyone is assuming. It's a bubble, and at some point the bubble may burst. All it would take is for the Salcap to flatline for 5 years. It would be interesting to see how salaries would change if that happened. This 10 year Mahomes contract is a good one as long as everything proceeds normally.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Of course 2 of those 12 years were already under contract as part of his rookie deal. The new part - the extension that adds an additional 10 years - is at a higher price.

Of course Dak won’t and shouldn’t get what Mahoney does, but I understand why he prefers to negotiate a new deal in 5 years.
All true

DFWJC

Reaction score
"League sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the deal is worth $450 million over the 10-year period, and could be worth up to $503 million."

While you may be proven right once we see the structure of the contract, as of now, the Shefter is reporting that the 10 year extension, which starts in 2022 and runs through 2031 is worth $450 million. I *think* his 2020 and 2021 salaries remain unchanged.
That correct.
So factoring in the 25 or so he gets for the next two years...its 475ish for 12 years but upside with extra incentives.
So averaging about 40 per year over 12 years.

So say, average 35/yr 1st 6 years and 45/yr for 2nd years.
That's tells us Dak at 35/yr for 5 is a very good offer.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Unless Mahomes told him this is what he wants. His agent works for him, after all.
But yeah, let's look at them dollar bills before jumping out of planes.
Mahomes isnt going anywhere so there nothing to say hes not getting that money. Just like Dak isnt going anywhere. Ive said it over and over he needs to talk with the jones' personally and he'll get what ge wants in terms of security. Jerry values his QBs. Look at how much he faught for Quincy before the drug problem was just too much.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I have never seen erin dress like that,ever. Cant see the face though, and her hair is more blonde than erin, so maybe it is and maybe it isnt.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
You would find me annoying because I hold you guys accountable for the dumb things you say. And what genius blocks someone and tells them he blocked them other than some attention starved child? Please keep me on ignore I'm sure you aren't the only person and if you're as sensitive as you're acting I'm sure I'm in fine company on your block list.

Hold people accountable...? What are you blathering about? It’s more akin to having to explain fluid mechanics to a child. They don’t get it. They likely won’t get it. It just becomes annoying. You are just annoying, like a child.

Flamma

Reaction score
I read that it was a possible 503 million if certain conditions were met.
even at 450 that is 45 mil a year.

His 10 years is 450 million. I think they are including the full 12 years as his extension doesn't start until 2022.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
His 10 years is 450 million. I think they are including the full 12 years as his extension doesn't start until 2022.
It was an early post in one of the 2 threads on this, and it read like it could be 503 mil not counting these next 2 years.
Could it not be incentives?
If I were mahomes , I would want a bonus for each SB win in the future ! No SB wins no bonus pay.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
That correct.
So factoring in the 25 or so he gets for the next two years...its 475ish for 12 years but upside with extra incentives.
So averaging about 40 per year over 12 years.

So say, average 35/yr 1st 6 years and 45/yr for 2nd years.
That's tells us Dak at 35/yr for 5 is a very good offer.

you keep factoring in 2020 and 2021 salary and it’s pretty dishonest since they weren’t adjusted. It’s like if we signed Dak to a 4 year extension for years 2021-2024 worth $140 in those years and I kept insisting he signed for less than $35 million APY since his 2020 salary of $31 million drags the figure down and I presented it as a 5 year $171 million dollar deal which is closer to $34 million APY.

Mahomes signed for an average of $45 million. $10 more million than the highest QB APY. Will Dak get that amount? Of course not, he isn’t Mahomes. Does it pretty much set the floor at $35 million? Most definitely.

He isn’t signing for less than that, and we absolutely could have gotten him for less if we resigned him at the end of 2018. Maybe we slightly exceed his value, but it would have been a bargain if we just gave him slightly more than Wentz/Goff.

Now, we have to get this deal done before Watson and Jackson

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is a reason why NFL Teams don't hand out 10 year contracts, 1 play away from a career ending injury. It's a major gamble, what happens if he did get hurt and forced to retire? Their franchise would be in cap hell for over a decade. Mahomes style opens him up to contact, he already has missed a few games in his young career. I understand his worth and he ability, but 10 years is way too long of a commitment.

aikemirv

Reaction score
you keep factoring in 2020 and 2021 salary and it’s pretty dishonest since they weren’t adjusted. It’s like if we signed Dak to a 4 year extension for years 2021-2024 worth $140 in those years and I kept insisting he signed for less than $35 million APY since his 2020 salary of $31 million drags the figure down and I presented it as a 5 year $171 million dollar deal which is closer to $34 million APY.

Mahomes signed for an average of $45 million. $10 more million than the highest QB APY. Will Dak get that amount? Of course not, he isn’t Mahomes. Does it pretty much set the floor at $35 million? Most definitely.

He isn’t signing for less than that, and we absolutely could have gotten him for less if we resigned him at the end of 2018. Maybe we slightly exceed his value, but it would have been a bargain if we just gave him slightly more than Wentz/Goff.

You are comparing 45 million in 2 years to 35 million now - that is not a fair comparison at all.

At an 8% interest rate 35 million now is 40 million in 2 years

Rayman70

Reaction score
bottomline is Mahommes deserves it. HE WON A SB and is the best QB today. Dak deserves what he gets too. Playing on the tag would be a HUGE loss for the Cowboys. Thats why Dak will get his deal soon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hold people accountable...? What are you blathering about? It’s more akin to having to explain fluid mechanics to a child. They don’t get it. They likely won’t get it. It just becomes annoying. You are just annoying, like a child.
Like I said above, you'd find me annoying because I hold you accountable for the drivel you post. You say something silly I'm going to question it. Nobody once compared Dak to Mahomes.......and if someone did you should be able to decipher whether that person is trolling you or not. You posted this:

I like Dak a lot but he is not Mahomes. Mahomes should be the highest paid player in the league. Premium position. Young. He is one of the best today and projects to get even better.

Well no **** Sherlock..........

Sydla

Reaction score

There was actually an argument on the Draft board months ago where someone was arguing/hinting that it was possible if Dak played in KC, he'd be viewed as good as Mahomes. Of course that was ridiculous, but entertaining nonetheless.

Sydla

Reaction score

This is not totally accurate. Mahomes' 5th year option would carry a large base salary, likely in excess of $23MM. With this new deal, they restructured the last two years of his rookie contract. So in 2021, his 5th season, instead of carrying a large base salary, he now has a significant roster bonus that can be restructured.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Like I said above, you'd find me annoying because I hold you accountable for the drivel you post. You say something silly I'm going to question it. Nobody once compared Dak to Mahomes.......and if someone did you should be able to decipher whether that person is trolling you or not. You posted this:

Yawn...

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ha! Dak on his tag feeling the burn.

Didn't take long at all!
That’s why he signed the tag. It’s not about money with him don’t you know this. And how we’ve been doing this all along. This just Sets sets him up again

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe. But could raise the floor from 35 a year to 40 a year. Dak will never get that from any team. But won’t keep his agent for asking.
I don’t know what the limit is for Prescott what I’ve been a lot of people are going to be shocked and pissed. We’re I’m just gonna be this is the NFL