10 year contract extension for Mahomes worth $500 million

DFWJC

Reaction score
you keep factoring in 2020 and 2021 salary and it’s pretty dishonest since they weren’t adjusted. It’s like if we signed Dak to a 4 year extension for years 2021-2024 worth $140 in those years and I kept insisting he signed for less than $35 million APY since his 2020 salary of $31 million drags the figure down and I presented it as a 5 year $171 million dollar deal which is closer to $34 million APY.

Mahomes signed for an average of $45 million. $10 more million than the highest QB APY. Will Dak get that amount? Of course not, he isn’t Mahomes. Does it pretty much set the floor at $35 million? Most definitely.

He isn’t signing for less than that, and we absolutely could have gotten him for less if we resigned him at the end of 2018. Maybe we slightly exceed his value, but it would have been a bargain if we just gave him slightly more than Wentz/Goff.

Now, we have to get this deal done before Watson and Jackson
Dishonest?
Come on

Those ARE the numbers.

And what you described with Dak's 2020 franchise tag is not AT ALL the same as a contract extension that includes the last years of an already existing deal.
If we pay him the 31 this year and then sign him to a 4 year deal next year, the two are not related at all. Next years deal would NOT be an extension, it would be a new deal.
NOT the same.

Jeez

Bottom line here
ARE YOU SAYING DAK YOU GET MORE THAN 35/yr?
If not, we are on the same page and just splitting hairs.

As for Goff and his 33.5/yr.....most people think the Rams regret that already.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am shocked so few people understand the very basics of NFL contracts.
Pat Mahomes just reset the starting QB market period.
Everyone before him matters exactly 0 now.
That's why you want to sign before the market gets reset.

Do you think Watson or Jackson are "Comparable" to Goff or Wentz?
Do you think Goff or Wentz is even mentioned in their salary negotiations?
If so you'd be VERY incorrect.

ALL front-line QB starters new deals will now come in OVER Russ.
Yes, Mahomes reset things, but it's incorrect to say everyone before him doesn't matter because what he reset is a range, which factors in more than just his contract, and not the standard for the kind of deal all other QBs will follow. In other words, the most recent QB is not the only guideline to go by, and all QBs that negotiate after Mahomes will not be the same level of player as Mahomes and therefore not subject to anything like the deal Mahomes got.

I do, however, agree that the Wentz and Goff extensions are not the same kind of standard for QBs regarded at that general level of play that they were before, and that the standard will now be higher than it was before. The question is in how much higher, and it takes looking at more than just Mahomes contract to determine that.

The process will likely be that an agent for a player at that general level of play will talk up the Mahomes deal, and the team will talk up the Wentz/Goff deals, and they will work toward something in between.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes but they all signed two sets of 5 year deals which is the same as the 10 year deal Mahomes signed. The fact that they played out BOTH sort of shows that it is VERY uncommon to not play out your full 2nd and 3rd contract as a QB which is basically what this is.

It's not the same because there is room for renegotiation of terms, one way or another. It's not the same at all.

Sydla

Reaction score
The agent wants 4 years OR to be paid that 5th year as a going rate equal to what's expected in 5 years. 45M.
This entire drama for months has been over 10M (non-guaranteed) all paid in the final year.
A complete waste of energy for all involved and this board.

I promise Dak and his agent would take 90% of the 10 year deal Pat just got.
429M with 360M in guarantee mechanisms.
And year 1 and 2 money equivalent to what Pat's contract will pay in those years when his rookie deal is over.

This is just not entirely accurate. It's likely not over the actual money but rather the cap hit. That's why the Cowboys want the 5th year. They want an extra year to give them cap flexibility. Paying Dak in excess of $45MM in that 5th year in cash would defeat the purpose of Dallas asking for that 5th year. Because he could carry a cap hit in that last year in excess of $50MM.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, but peek at the cap hit for the next 3 years. Definitely manageable and they still hold a young team. In a couple of years they'll start having the tough decisions of resigning current players. The Chiefs aren't paying a top RB though. Thats a huge difference between us and them.

KC isn't that young.
They were 16th in player age rank last year at roster cut downs.
Middle of the road.
They had 3 former Cowboys on that defense.

The off-season saw them mostly tread water intent on running it back with a SB winner.

But Pat's money doesn't really kick in right now (they didn't have much cap space) and they will be forced to get younger as they go.

Whatever happens every team in the NFL would love to be paying Pat Mahomes and they can flip his salary yearly buying 3/4 years of relatively low QB cap hits before it hits the unavoidable big money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We need to see the details to know how the guarantees compare to other more traditional contracts.

Most contracts now have conditional guarantees (i.e. If on the roster in March 2023 then the 2024 salary is guaranteed). Even if the "total" guarantees are reported as a huge number, the details of the guarantees are very important.

I agree but the up front money, even though there are clauses in this contract to basically guarantee money two years in advance at certain intervals, is still really low in comparison. This is really a very team friendly deal for KC.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The agent wants 4 years OR to be paid that 5th year as a going rate equal to what's expected in 5 years. 45M.
This entire drama for months has been over 10M (non-guaranteed) all paid in the final year.
A complete waste of energy for all involved and this board.

I promise Dak and his agent would take 90% of the 10 year deal Pat just got.
429M with 360M in guarantee mechanisms.
And year 1 and 2 money equivalent to what Pat's contract will pay in those years when his rookie deal is over.

I won't compare to the Mahomes contract until I see all details. The structure of the guarantees is what really defines that contract.

In general, years 4 and 5 of a 5 year contract are the "bargain" years for the team. Those "bargain" years are part of what make it worth the risk of giving out the guaranteed money.

The Cowboys can Franchise Dak for 3 straight years at an average of 40M without giving out any guaranteed money other than the guarantee that kicks in each year once the Tag is past the guaranteed stage.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Teams can project the NFL cap for the future.

They can then project what percent of the cap will go to the player's contract.

The percent (based on contract annual average) will always be high early because the cap increases.

In general QBs have been getting between about 16% and 18% of the cap (based on average) for a couple of decades.

The numbers sound huge because the cap has increased by a huge amount, but the percentage of cap for top QBs that remained in that range.
So whats the 18% amount right now..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Willing? There's nothing "willing" about it. A restructure is largely an accounting trick, nothing else. Romo didn't take less money when the Cowboys restructured his deal, they just moved things around.......... he still got the same amount of money due to him under the contract.

So I am not sure where you are going with this with Dak. If he "restructures" his deal, it would be an accounting trick to create cap space, not a request for Dak to take less money.

I apologize if I am missing your point here.
lol - wow, this makes zero sense. I didnt say anything about Dak agreeing to take less money, you just made that up out of thin air to fabricate an argument that doesn't even exist.

The word "restructure" does not suggest anything other than moving things around, and I did not indicate otherwise. And that's what I was saying Dak would likely be willing to do - to restructure to help with the cap burdens.

And yes, it does take the player being "willing". A team cannot simply decide to restructure a contract without the player's consent.

Adreme

Reaction score
It's not the same because there is room for renegotiation of terms, one way or another. It's not the same at all.

The renegotiation typically helped the player. QBs do not really lose their careers due to injury. It is just such a rare occurrence that it is not worth betting on especially for QBs of his level.You have Andrew Luck and that is about it and Luck sort of proves my point about teams not cutting injured star QBs because they might get healthy again. Statistically he is FAR more likely to play all 10 years of his extension (with another one negotiated 8 years into that) than to EVER get cut by them. No team cuts a franchise QB on Mahomes level. A single example of it happening would be fine, but the examples do not exist.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KC isn't that young.
Middle of the road.

The off-season saw them mostly tread water intent on running it back with a SB winner.

But Pat's money doesn't really kick in right now (they didn't have much cap space) and they will be forced to get younger as they go.

Whatever happens every team in the NFL would love to be paying Pat Mahomes and they can flip his salary yearly buying 3/4 years of relatively low QB cap hits before it hits the unavoidable big money.

If they can win more Super Bowls in the next few years, then it's worth being in "Salary Cap Hell" in future years when the Mahomes contract starts to be a big chuck of the cap.

It is ironic that the Super Bowl winning chiefs had multiple ex-Cowboys players on their roster when Marinelli thought those players needed to be upgraded.

To me that points to Will McClay being good at spotting talent and Marinelli/Garrett not being great at utilizing the talent (Maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part).

LB Hitchens
LB Wilson
CB Ward (started until he went to IR)

Backups
CB Claiborne (not a McClay pick)
RB Weber (maybe PS only)

Cowboys Draft Targets
FS Thornhill (started until he went to IR)
DE Ogbah (went to IR but was playing significant snaps prior)

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ok diehard, thanks, another person tried to tell me that was erin andrews, lol , now I know who she is.
I googled her and got some more pics, even in that same outfit.
read she went to a ny jets practice and players and some coaches would not leave her alone lol.
Sorry for the confusion, I was only repeating what I was originally told. Looks like we both found out who she was.

cowboygo

Reaction score
KC isn't that young.
Middle of the road.

At least the offense is relatively young, including the QB. 23! with a cap hit under 10M this year, thats a good formula for a repeat.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is just not entirely accurate. It's likely not over the actual money but rather the cap hit. That's why the Cowboys want the 5th year. They want an extra year to give them cap flexibility. Paying Dak in excess of $45MM in that 5th year in cash would defeat the purpose of Dallas asking for that 5th year. Because he could carry a cap hit in that last year in excess of $50MM.

This is exactly right. This is a poison pill from the Dak team and Jerry and Stephen know this. It's a shot across the bow IMO and this, more then anything, is why I believe that Dak is going to the tag. Dak has basically seen his best contract offer he'll see this season, already. Dak is going to play on the Tag IMO and he may be in that situation for the next couple of seasons, IDK. I think Jerry sees or saw Dak as one of his guys initially. I think Dak kinda went another way on that and this might be a little personal, regardless of what is said in public.

I have no proof of this, it just kind of feels that way to me.

conner01

Reaction score
Which is why I think you see the cap go up significantly for a good 2 or 3 years.
I think once this is over it will sky rocket
The revenue sources are growing
The streaming rights alone opened up to everyone could be massive
The gambling money
A new longer season tv contract
It’s gonna explode once we get back to normal

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes for this year and next and then he is free to walk so unless you are only offering a 2 year deal why would he sign for less? If he can play on the tag for 2 years and then walk and sign for 43-44 million per why would he take a 4 year deal worth less than 38 or 39 million when that is what he will make on average?

No, this is wrong. The team can actually tag him for a third year if they so choose.

You assume Dak can make 43-44 long term after he leaves but that's not necessarily the case. Just stating this for the sake of clarity.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At least the offense is relatively young, including the QB. 23! with a cap hit under 10M this year, thats a good formula for a repeat.
Having Pat Mahomes is a good formula for repeat, lol.

Kelce and a few OL are getting up there in age but they aren't tailing off yet.
No one should be feeling sorry for KC.
They are easily SB favorites.

cowboygo

Reaction score
This is exactly right. This is a poison pill from the Dak team and Jerry and Stephen know this. It's a shot across the bow IMO and this, more then anything, is why I believe that Dak is going to the tag. Dak has basically seen his best contract offer he'll see this season, already. Dak is going to play on the Tag IMO and he may be in that situation for the next couple of seasons, IDK. I think Jerry sees or saw Dak as one of his guys initially. I think Dak kinda went another way on that and this might be a little personal, regardless of what is said in public.

I have no proof of this, it just kind of feels that way to me.
If we get to that final year, may it be a 4th or 5th year contract, the cap hit might be huge, but also the guaranteed portion would have been paid for already? There wouldn't be much dead cap hit were we to cut him. If he doesn't get us playoff success or a ship in the next 3-4 years, getting out of the contract without a large dead cap hit would be ideal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The renegotiation typically helped the player. QBs do not really lose their careers due to injury. It is just such a rare occurrence that it is not worth betting on especially for QBs of his level.You have Andrew Luck and that is about it and Luck sort of proves my point about teams not cutting injured star QBs because they might get healthy again. Statistically he is FAR more likely to play all 10 years of his extension (with another one negotiated 8 years into that) than to EVER get cut by them. No team cuts a franchise QB on Mahomes level. A single example of it happening would be fine, but the examples do not exist.

But they help the team as well in many cases and it didn't always help the player. They are not the same. You can say that but there is a reason QBs sign shorter term deals and not 10 year deals. They are not the same.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think once this is over it will sky rocket
The revenue sources are growing
The streaming rights alone opened up to everyone could be massive
The gambling money
A new longer season tv contract
It’s gonna explode once we get back to normal

I tend to agree but when will that be? Nobody knows and you can't build the future on that kind of foundation with a contract IMO.