10 year contract extension for Mahomes worth $500 million

khiladi

Reaction score
How do you know he was offered more guaranteed money? People make these claims, but where is the evidence.

Dallas timing was never the same as the Eagles or Rams though, so a new contract starting at the end of Dak's rookie contract is not changing the timing, it's just the timing that was set in motion in 2016. Again, the difference on timing of Dak's contract relative to Wentz and Goff's contracts is because the NFL allows a 5th year option with 1st round picks that is not part of the deal with 4th round picks. That's just circumstances that Dak wasn't responsible for, and really neither was Dallas. The 5th year option with 1st rounders is dictated by NFL and CBA rules, and as such that's just the base timing both sides had to start with when negotiations on a new deal began.

That's not to say Dallas can't attempt to negotiate a new 5 year deal to make the end of Dak's new contract time with the end of Wentz and Goff's new 4 year deals, but just as that is their right, Dak also has the right to determine it his better for him to stick with a 4 year deal. Ultimately, neither side has to accept the position of the other.

The point is, the fifth year option is for the TEAM, if they chose to exercise it. Neither team was forced to negotiate extensions, they chose to extend them after the fifth year.

Dak was a 4th round pick and Wentz and Goff’s deal were 4 year extensions. Nobody is disputing whether or not Dak, Goff or Wentz has a “right”. Dak can demand more than Mahomes if he wants. The point is, Dak’s market value... His five year term ends right with Goff and Wentz.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point is, the fifth year option is for the TEAM, if they chose to exercise it. Neither team was forced to negotiate extensions, they chose to extend them after the fifth year.

Dak was a 4th round pick and Wentz and Goff’s deal were 4 year extensions. Nobody is disputing whether or not Dak, Goff or Wentz has a “right”. Dak can demand more than Mahomes if he wants. The point is, Dak’s market value... His five year term ends right with Goff and Wentz.
I don't agree that a 5 year deal has the same market value as a 4 year deal, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But I am not taking about a handful. In my theoretical example, I am taking about ALL current players or ALL current owners.
If given everything else is the same with TV contracts , stadiums and sponsorships the new league without the same coverage and access wouldn’t be as popular nor generate as much revenue.

The business model of the NFL drives the needle. The players are just the stars. New stars and talent could be developed under the more popular brands.

JReed1000

Reaction score
It is definitely clear that you don't understand. Dak is being the stubborn one. They have offered him 35 million per season for 5 years and Dak wants 4 years. Wont sign for 5. And here we have Mahomes signing for 10 years.

I bet you anything the Cowboys would sign Dak for 7 years, but he doesn't want it.

Oh I understand....I understand that they let Dak play out a 4 year Rookie 4th round contract. I understand they let Philly and the Rams set the market by signing Goff and Wentz. I understand although Dak has been better than both over these 4 years they still want to play look and see. Dak ain’t Mahomes...but he sure is a dam good QB and Dallas should give him the 4 years. Dallas screwed themselves sitting on their thumbs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said anything about sacrificing anything? Plus the guy could have demanded a shorter deal and gotten broke the bank again in 4 years.
It was said that signing this contract showed how much he wants to win. If there was no sacrifice for the sake of the team then it does not prove that, it just proves that he liked the terms of the contract.

And hell, there isn't a thing in the world wrong with that. I'm just saying lets don't read something more into it. He and the Chiefs entered into talks, they found a deal they both like, and they got the deal done. It doesn't have to show anything more than that.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
*unfortunately, Dak is an entirely Different brand of marketable commodity as compared to Mahomez,,, ( not a 'knock' against the #4 ,as he's a tank rolling across barbwire in many regards)

*World's Coming to an end , I don't even care, , , dud-dud-dud,,,dud-dud-dud,,,dunt-dunt,duho_O
I am not a fan of Mahomes. But you’re right is the media love a boy Mr. market.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No one knows when things get back to normal
That’s all we know for sure is we don’t know
I’m ready for camp because that will tell us about the roster and maybe give us an idea of what a football season is gonna look like, or not look like

Yeah, I think we are all ready for some of that. This board is like the end of training camp these days. Everybody is ready to fight with everybody over anything. We all need to get back to playing so we can beat up on somebody else.

Adreme

Reaction score
Looking at the cap breakdown it looks like 2027 they are going to probably have to convert a LOT of that to singing bonus as that is the year when the big cap hit comes down(59 million that year versus 42 million the previous year). It seems like they likely picked that year as 5 years is the longest you can spread out a signing bonus so if you convert say 30 million of the roster bonus into a signing bonus and spread it out you can reduce that cap number by 24 million and differ it until later you smooth out the cap hits until later seasons.

It actually is a very creative way to deal with the fact that they could not push the signing bonus any further than the first 5 years of the contract so they set up the contract to be able to do it again in the 2nd 5 years. It also means that as you get closer to the end of the contract they can Tom Brady the deal and basically extend it and add signing bonus and keep pushing off the painful parts of the cap hit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh I understand....I understand that they let Dak play out a 4 year Rookie 4th round contract. I understand they let Philly and the Rams set the market by signing Goff and Wentz. I understand although Dak has been better than both over these 4 years they still want to play look and see. Dak ain’t Mahomes...but he sure is a dam good QB and Dallas should give him the 4 years. Dallas screwed themselves sitting on their thumbs.

Dallas could give him 4 years right now and they probably will. Dallas has been trying to sign Dak for 2 years and its the Dak camp that keeps rebuffing the offers.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Dishonest?
Come on

Those ARE the numbers.

And what you described with Dak's 2020 franchise tag is not AT ALL the same as a contract extension that includes the last years of an already existing deal.
If we pay him the 31 this year and then sign him to a 4 year deal next year, the two are not related at all. Next years deal would NOT be an extension, it would be a new deal.
NOT the same.

Jeez

Dak signed his franchise tag, so you'd honestly have to tell me what the difference between Mahomes extension and Dak's to be honest. And I'm talking specifically us agreeing to a contract with Dak prior to 7/15 where the new money kicks in, in 2021, which is what I *think* is happening with Mahomes, except his new money is in 2022.

Bottom line here
ARE YOU SAYING DAK YOU GET MORE THAN 35/yr?
If not, we are on the same page and just splitting hairs.

As for Goff and his 33.5/yr.....most people think the Rams regret that already.

We probably are on the same page. Just to get the deal done, I've always thought we should just sign him to a 4 year deal worth $140 which is $35 APY. I'm not advocating that he gets more, as much as I'm saying *any* new deal for a QB, likely gives Dak leverage to ask for more. Watson getting extended before Dak would probably result in raising Dak's price as well.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
You are comparing 45 million in 2 years to 35 million now - that is not a fair comparison at all.

At an 8% interest rate 35 million now is 40 million in 2 years

And realistically, players don't really factor that in, otherwise, players would almost assuredly try and play for teams that have 8 home games in states with no income tax. It may make sense to, but I've seen little to no evidence to suggest this a prevalent thought in contract negotiations.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes, Mahomes reset things, but it's incorrect to say everyone before him doesn't matter because what he reset is a range, which factors in more than just his contract, and not the standard for the kind of deal all other QBs will follow. In other words, the most recent QB is not the only guideline to go by, and all QBs that negotiate after Mahomes will not be the same level of player as Mahomes and therefore not subject to anything like the deal Mahomes got.

I do, however, agree that the Wentz and Goff extensions are not the same kind of standard for QBs regarded at that general level of play that they were before, and that the standard will now be higher than it was before. The question is in how much higher, and it takes looking at more than just Mahomes contract to determine that.

The process will likely be that an agent for a player at that general level of play will talk up the Mahomes deal, and the team will talk up the Wentz/Goff deals, and they will work toward something in between.
Latest is always the standard.
Many of these Pat contract mechanisms actually came from Zeke.
CMC also had similar stuff and got just a little bit more money even though he had only been superior to Zeke for one season.

The pole sitter was Russ as 35M. He was the standard.
Not anymore.
Now it is Pat and all these QBs will use that 45M AAV as a guideline for their deals even though they won't touch that ceiling.
Exactly zero agents are going to discuss Goff or Wentz deals as anything but history.
Dallas had a chance to negotiate versus those deals but playing the waiting game has bit them badly.
Same as it did with DLaw and will with any elite player at a critical position because those contracts just keep going up.
Guess we shall find out next week if they wanna try their hand and waiting out a Watson deal.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And realistically, players don't really factor that in, otherwise, players would almost assuredly try and play for teams that have 8 home games in states with no income tax. It may make sense to, but I've seen little to no evidence to suggest this a prevalent thought in contract negotiations.
Agents and the NFLPA don't factor it in.
Same way they don't factor in playing for Dallas means more in off-field revenue.
The only time we've seen it really factored in was Jaylon Smith and fans immediately turned on the guy making his brand far less valuable, lol.

A big reason it isn't factored it you can be traded and or cut.
Schedules change and where you play changes year over year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dak signed his franchise tag, so you'd honestly have to tell me what the difference between Mahomes extension and Dak's to be honest. And I'm talking specifically us agreeing to a contract with Dak prior to 7/15 where the new money kicks in, in 2021, which is what I *think* is happening with Mahomes, except his new money is in 2022.

We probably are on the same page. Just to get the deal done, I've always thought we should just sign him to a 4 year deal worth $140 which is $35 APY. I'm not advocating that he gets more, as much as I'm saying *any* new deal for a QB, likely gives Dak leverage to ask for more. Watson getting extended before Dak would probably result in raising Dak's price as well.
If we agree to a contract < 7/15, then the Tag becomes null and void.
It would be a new contract beginning this year, not an extension.

But yeah, I'd be fine if they just gave him his 4 year deal (for 34-35/yr) and were done with it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Latest is always the standard.
Many of these Pat contract mechanisms actually came from Zeke.
CMC also had similar stuff and got just a little bit more money even though he had only been superior to Zeke for one season.

The pole sitter was Russ as 35M. He was the standard.
Not anymore.
Now it is Pat and all these QBs will use that 45M AAV as a guideline for their deals even though they won't touch that ceiling.
Exactly zero agents are going to discuss Goff or Wentz deals as anything but history.
Dallas had a chance to negotiate versus those deals but playing the waiting game has bit them badly.
Same as it did with DLaw and will with any elite player at a critical position because those contracts just keep going up.
Guess we shall find out next week if they wanna try their hand and waiting out a Watson deal.
No, latest is always the most up to date information to plug into the mix. Clearly Mahome's contract is not going to be the standard for every QB that negotiates a new contract from now on. There isn't even a remotely reasonable way to suggest that. Neither history or common sense supports that idea.