Twitter: 10 years ago today marked the end of an era

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
That's not debatable. It is an asset Garrett hasn't enjoyed every season. At the same time though, he must learn more in-game flexibility. The Green Bay game may be the ultimate lesson he must learn from. As the head coach, you must accept the weaknesses of your team and compensate for them. Dallas was clicking on all cylinders in the first half, but it still had the same deficient defense. He should not have taken the ball away from his running game as much as he did. It would have protected his defense more.
I agree, and I couldn't care much less either way when it comes to Garrett. Just wanted to throw that in about the difference in the quality of the defenses.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I'm seeing that the 2002 team was 13th in points, 18th in yards... Are you using a different metric?
That offense couldn't stay on the field, so I'm looking at points per drive (5th) and defensive pass rating (8th), which are better stats anyway.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Parcells had the defense to be able to play ball control in 2003. Then came 2004, when he had to face much better offenses, and without Woodson.

Garrett doesn't have the defense to be able to play ball control, and even if he did, he wouldn't do it anyway because Romo is the de facto OC.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Quincy may be one of the nicest people to walk this planet. I do not know him.

But the wounded ducks it tossed on Sunday's indicated to me he wasn't of a quality to be the franchise quarterback, or even a back-up.

Parcells had a good defense. But he also had the ability to hide the inability of Quincy during duck season.

Give Romo a top ten defense, and lets see how this offense works. I harken back to '07 when he has 13 pro-bowlers on his team. They didn't get the job done then.

If this management staff can field a top ten defense, with the weapons this offense has, ***I'd be real curious to see if Romo doesn't shock the world at how efficient he can be, and how the team would end up playing the last game of the NFL post season.

But as for Quincy, his lack of skill set lies at the feet of you-know-who. The one not allowed to be mentioned.

***Bolded and underlined area for those who continue to ignore that I like Romo.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
To this day I still think it was more than marijuana. Something else happened. Parcells was disgusted at that press conference. I just have a gut feeling that Quincy did something in addition to the weed. What? We may never know.

Me too. Couldn't be just the "hippie lettuce:! I think Q-Screw did something else. I was looking forward to his upcoming season; thinking he and the Cowboys had something. Whoops.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The ONLY way Q was ever going to even make the team in 2004 was if he tore it up in Camp. The Cowboys had invested a draft pick in Drew Henson. They obviously liked Tony Romo already. And on top of that they brought in a FOB named Vinny Testaverde. I really can't figure out why people think Vinny was brought here to back him up or mentor him. I knew in March of that year that Q was as good as gone. I shared that info with some fans here. I wasn't the least bit shocked he got cut.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The ONLY way Q was ever going to even make the team in 2004 was if he tore it up in Camp. The Cowboys had invested a draft pick in Drew Henson. They obviously liked Tony Romo already. And on top of that they brought in a FOB named Vinny Testaverde. I really can't figure out why people think Vinny was brought here to back him up or mentor him. I knew in March of that year that Q was as good as gone. I shared that info with some fans here. I wasn't the least bit shocked he got cut.
I agree that Quincy's release was in the works for a while, as was the Papa John's deal. Once the latter was a done deal, the former was inevitable.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Parcells had control of his own locker room. Garrett is one step up from housekeeping.

Not that I would ever compare Jason Garrett to Bill Parcells.

I don't get the impression that Garret has lost the locker room or isn't respected by his team. This team fights hard for Garrett. This team has adopted his mannerisms. They embrace that it's a "process." And all this with no extension yet for JG.

You're way off base here but hey never let the facts get in the way of a JG insult.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Carter declared for the draft early because he was never going to play another down for Georgia. Yet Jerry felt the need to draft him. That was a very dark period of time for QBs on this team. Well starting right after Aikman retired. The long list of who took snaps under center was astonishing. In a bad way.

Primetime42

Reaction score
I'm as big a Parcels fan as any, being from New Jersey.

But refresh my memory; what was his record here again?