Video: 105.3 The "Fan" - Do You Agree With Troy Aikman's Expectations 4 The Cowboys 2023

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did get to listen to the 1st 3 to 4 minutes of it. will finish later. Other thing to take care of first.
Sounds like it is some good stuff. And many will not like some of the positive stuff, as well some of the well, not so much negative, but the criticism as well. :laugh:

OP should do a recap. :muttley:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I have my expectations. Some just enjoy the show while I want to obliterate the competition. Is it wrong to want a team that is competing for championships? Unfortunately we have an owner who likes headlines more than anything else.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
First thing he says is the thing that matters to dak is wins. The stats don't matter. Says he's a big fan on daks.

Says everybody is talking bout the ints and says all thise aren't all on him and never are on a qb. alot of things could be done differently to help with that.

He expects Dallas to be right there this yr.

Aikman interview is basically the first couple mins of the video. The rest is them talking bout their own views. Imo they used Aikman interview for clicks

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Unfortunately we have an owner who likes headlines more than anything else.
This gets asserted a lot about Jerry Jones, and I'm not saying it's wrong. But what doesn't make sense to me is that there is no bigger, better, stronger, or more valuable headline than winning a Superbowl, at least not in this sphere. That's the kind of headline that generates many more headlines for years to come too. So that is the indisputable prize, whether you're in it for glory or $$.

So either Jerry is every bit the moron that some assert him to be, or (more likely to me), the fans just believe something about him that's not as true as they think.

visionary

Reaction score
My expectations:

Contrary to Dak apologists, the QB is often the difference in tight games against good teams like in the playoffs and Dak has repeatedly let us down

This year the Cowboys will go as Dak goes and unless Dak is magically improved we will have a good regular season record and wilt in the playoffs

Flamma

Reaction score
One of the first times I agreed with everything. Especially the part starting at 10:20.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know that there were really any ‘expectations’ specifically mentioned. They just seemed to use Aikman’s name and comments to lead into their own segment.

Two things that stood out for me:

1. It’s a different era for quarterbacks with the salary cap. Much harder to stack and keep a loaded team around them.

2. McCarthy is essentially betting his job by moving on from Kellen Moore and calling plays himself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This gets asserted a lot about Jerry Jones, and I'm not saying it's wrong. But what doesn't make sense to me is that there is no bigger, better, stronger, or more valuable headline than winning a Superbowl, at least not in this sphere. That's the kind of headline that generates many more headlines for years to come too. So that is the indisputable prize, whether you're in it for glory or $$.

So either Jerry is every bit the moron that some assert him to be, or (more likely to me), the fans just believe something about him that's not as true as they think.
He is not a moron, he is an egomaniac and he gets the coverage a SB winner gets.

How much coverage have you seen on KC or Mahomes vs DAL and Prescott this off season?

He is the owner in the NFL that stands to gain the least in winning a SB.

I have a theory about him.

When he bought the team and moved to Dallas, he was the most hated man in the Metroplex. The man that fired Landry. On top of this, he gets death threats during Emmitt’s holdout while the nemesis to his ego, Jimmy Johnson, let’s it be known he was Emmitt’s white knight as he rode in to tell Booger to acquiesce to him and get him back on the field.

Booger’s ego begins to seethe and he goes so far to try and make it look like he is the one doing the picking in the war room which infuriates Johnson’s ego and Wannstedt has to talk him into coming into the war room.

Booger had seen the pathway from being hated to being admired through his team’s success and knew either his ego must supplant Johnson’s or he must remove him, the latter being preferable.

I can only imagine Booger’s ego raging the night Johnson made 3” headlines with his guarantee to beat the Niners. The wrong legend was growing and his was being shaded by the brash Jimmy Johnson.

Anyway, that’s my take on Booger. The man successfully made his face the face of the franchise and he will never willingly give that up.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Can't (and won't) deny any of those stories about him historically. I question the part about "He is the owner in the NFL that stands to gain the least in winning a SB." - can you elaborate on that?

My admittedly simplistic view on this is that if the Cowboys are getting SB-caliber spotlight now without even appearing in one, imagine how much more they will get once they get there. Right?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t know that there were really any ‘expectations’ specifically mentioned. They just seemed to use Aikman’s name and comments to lead into their own segment.

Two things that stood out for me:

1. It’s a different era for quarterbacks with the salary cap. Much harder to stack and keep a loaded team around them.

2. McCarthy is essentially betting his job by moving on from Kellen Moore and calling plays himself.
Correct. I dont' blame him. I for the life of me do not understand why these guys just don't bet on thsemelves.....I would've taken play calling away from Kellen last year. IF he had that power that is. Not entirely sure if he did but he made the move this year so its all on him. Either going to make or break him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can't (and won't) deny any of those stories about him historically. I question the part about "He is the owner in the NFL that stands to gain the least in winning a SB." - can you elaborate on that?

My admittedly simplistic view on this is that if the Cowboys are getting SB-caliber spotlight now without even appearing in one, imagine how much more they will get once they get there. Right?
That whole Jerry discussion is weird. Because I agree with you. He's accomplished so much. But there only thing left is for him to say he did it own his own terms without Jimmy. Even if it took 27 plus years that's still a huge feat.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s hard to have high expectations with the Cowboys without getting demoralized because we see the same troubling pattern every season. They peak around mid season and begin to fade at the end of November into December. Early last season they were running the ball great and playing terrific defense with a dynamic pass rush and both disappeared the second half of the season. The defense that had been so good early in the season that was helping us win games fell apart in the second half against Green Bay and Jacksonville. The teams that go deep in the playoffs and reach the Super Bowl are playing their best football at the end of the season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not necessarily, that’s why I said he has less to gain than other owners.

He is already receiving all the perks of the champion and then some. A SB will not appreciably change the profits or value of team as they’re already at #1.

They are very successful at merch sales with not even a sniff at a SB in almost three decades.

The team has an automatic pull from the immediate market of 7M and another 4M within driving distance to a centric city. He can place parking, ticket prices and concessions where he wants and has increased those without any serious runs at a SB. He, like all the owners, know there will be a wagging of tongues but the seats will be filled.

He's between a rock and hard place on the GM job because he has to retain that if he has any chance of scaring Jimmy Jihnson's presence away. And to complicate matters, he cannot relinquish control compeltely to any HC as he does not want to share any spotlight.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

Jerry knows he can't build a Super Bowl team, but his ego is too massive to allow him to step aside and hire someone to do it for him. He's even willing to forego winning Super Bowls and having a franchise worth even more money for that same ego. It is a pathology.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Not necessarily, that’s why I said he has less to gain than other owners.

He is already receiving all the perks of the champion and then some. A SB will not appreciably change the profits or value of team as they’re already at #1.

They are very successful at merch sales with not even a sniff at a SB in almost three decades.

The team has an automatic pull from the immediate market of 7M and another 4M within driving distance to a centric city. He can place parking, ticket prices and concessions where he wants and has increased those without any serious runs at a SB. He, like all the owners, know there will be a wagging of tongues but the seats will be filled.

He's between a rock and hard place on the GM job because he has to retain that if he has any chance of scaring Jimmy Jihnson's presence away. And to complicate matters, he cannot relinquish control compeltely to any HC as he does not want to share any spotlight.
Jerry is actually losing money contrary to how it appears. The Cowboys would be worth at least a billion dollars more if they were doing what the Chiefs are doing right now.