Video: 105.3 The "Fan" - Do You Agree With Troy Aikman's Expectations 4 The Cowboys 2023

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That whole Jerry discussion is weird. Because I agree with you. He's accomplished so much. But there only thing left is for him to say he did it own his own terms without Jimmy. Even if it took 27 plus years that's still a huge feat.
But he has not done that, Johnson still gets the credit, even after being gone for two years. The only credit Booger gets is hiring Johnson and staying out of the way; the blame, getting in the way.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've learned years ago not to have any expectations for the Dallas Cowboys. They do just enough to be in playoff conversation as that is their goal.

TheHerd

Reaction score
This gets asserted a lot about Jerry Jones, and I'm not saying it's wrong. But what doesn't make sense to me is that there is no bigger, better, stronger, or more valuable headline than winning a Superbowl, at least not in this sphere. That's the kind of headline that generates many more headlines for years to come too. So that is the indisputable prize, whether you're in it for glory or $$.

So either Jerry is every bit the moron that some assert him to be, or (more likely to me), the fans just believe something about him that's not as true as they think.
Jerry wants to win badly. But he wants to do it on his terms more than he wants to win. He HAS to get the credit, or it doesn't count. And the marketing side is still job #1, not the Super Bowl. While a SB win would help the value, he has found more predictable ways to generate revenue and create value.

Verdict

Reaction score
Let’s talk about the video. My thoughts on the video and the commentary afterwards:

1. Troy was a very good football player but his points of view are not always on point. In fact I think there is a very high probability that he would be worse than Jerry as a GM.

2. The point Troy made about Dak not caring about statistics and all he cares about is winning seem patently absurd to me. Dak routinely took low percentage “hero ball” plays instead of sure thing high probability plays over and over which killed drives.

3. Dak does not approach the game the same way now as when he came into the league. When Dak came into the league he was all about winning and he was very risk averse. Now it’s like Bobby Humphrey or Brett Favre is playing QB for the Cowboys —-throw it a lot, get your individual stats and the win doesn’t really matter. He would prefer a highlight reel play and a loss over a checkdown and a win. That’s what the objective, high sample size, evidence is telling us.

4. Dak has very poor decision making skills. Whether that’s processing the game mentally, or just making bad decisions, he is below average right now in that category.

5. Dak wilts in big games routinely. He’s a notoriously slow starter. It like he doesn’t show up until we have lost and then he starts getting his stats and it makes the game look closer than it really was.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Can't (and won't) deny any of those stories about him historically. I question the part about "He is the owner in the NFL that stands to gain the least in winning a SB." - can you elaborate on that?

My admittedly simplistic view on this is that if the Cowboys are getting SB-caliber spotlight now without even appearing in one, imagine how much more they will get once they get there. Right?
Yes more of a spotlight for sure because it would be the goal of most including fans on here to tear them down

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One flaw in the discussion was when someone used the Eagles as an example of a team with an "unexpensive" QB1 that can afford to place great players around him. Boy is that going to change very soon.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
I don’t know that there were really any ‘expectations’ specifically mentioned. They just seemed to use Aikman’s name and comments to lead into their own segment.

Two things that stood out for me:

1. It’s a different era for quarterbacks with the salary cap. Much harder to stack and keep a loaded team around them.

2. McCarthy is essentially betting his job by moving on from Kellen Moore and calling plays himself.
It’s all about managing to maximize your windows. Eagles/Chiefs are doing a great job at it…we are not. We seem to care too much about salary cap ‘responsibility’…Eagles especially will have a year (or two) of reckoning at some point, but between now and then they will squeeze every bit of talent out of their cap…

Last edited:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One flaw in the discussion was when someone used the Eagles as an example of a team with an "unexpensive" QB1 that can afford to place great players around him. Boy is that going to change very soon.
I must have been drinking... certainly I meant inexpensive!

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Lol. When do you think that’s going to change?
Next four cap hits, 6, 14, 22, 32… and that’s without any restructures….

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
He is not a moron, he is an egomaniac and he gets the coverage a SB winner gets.

How much coverage have you seen on KC or Mahomes vs DAL and Prescott this off season?

He is the owner in the NFL that stands to gain the least in winning a SB.

I have a theory about him.

When he bought the team and moved to Dallas, he was the most hated man in the Metroplex. The man that fired Landry. On top of this, he gets death threats during Emmitt’s holdout while the nemesis to his ego, Jimmy Johnson, let’s it be known he was Emmitt’s white knight as he rode in to tell Booger to acquiesce to him and get him back on the field.

Booger’s ego begins to seethe and he goes so far to try and make it look like he is the one doing the picking in the war room which infuriates Johnson’s ego and Wannstedt has to talk him into coming into the war room.

Booger had seen the pathway from being hated to being admired through his team’s success and knew either his ego must supplant Johnson’s or he must remove him, the latter being preferable.

I can only imagine Booger’s ego raging the night Johnson made 3” headlines with his guarantee to beat the Niners. The wrong legend was growing and his was being shaded by the brash Jimmy Johnson.

Anyway, that’s my take on Booger. The man successfully made his face the face of the franchise and he will never willingly give that up.
He was always a Daniel Snyder away from being the most embarrassing owner in the NFL…now…

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s all about managing to maximize your windows. Eagles/Chiefs are doing a great job at it…we are not. We seem to care too much about salary cap ‘responsibility’…Eagles especially will have a year (or two) of reckoning at some point, but between now and then they will squeeze every bit of talent out of their cap…
I agree. Teams like the Eagles and Rams have adjusted and retooled their rosters several times now and made multiple Super Bowl appearances. The Rams are now ‘paying the price’ but they’ll be out of the woods in two years and have a Super Bowl trophy to show for it. The Eagles do as well. And they’ve managed to keep the majority of their roster intact AND managed to give their quarterback a huge contract.

Meanwhile, our organization settles for mere relevance for nearly three decades.

As long as the money keeps flowing in, there’s little incentive for them to change things.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
This gets asserted a lot about Jerry Jones, and I'm not saying it's wrong. But what doesn't make sense to me is that there is no bigger, better, stronger, or more valuable headline than winning a Superbowl, at least not in this sphere. That's the kind of headline that generates many more headlines for years to come too. So that is the indisputable prize, whether you're in it for glory or $$.

So either Jerry is every bit the moron that some assert him to be, or (more likely to me), the fans just believe something about him that's not as true as they think.
You forgot the third, and probably more accurate. Yes Jerry wants to win, but his way and under his command to get full credit. And so that is where we are doomed. In the meantime he is making wheelbarrows of cash very year so that consoles him very nicely. So actually he is a moron to the fans in general in that regard.