1080I or 1080P

heavyg

Reaction score
Ok I am looking into a new tv. I am looking at the Mitsubishi WD-57734 57 inch 1080P and the other is a Hitachi 52 inch 1080I.

Which tv would you guys recomend and why. What is the difference between 1080I and 1080P?

Thanks

Glen

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
heavyg;1729412 said:
Ok I am looking into a new tv. I am looking at the Mitsubishi WD-57734 57 inch 1080P and the other is a Hitachi 52 inch 1080I.

Which tv would you guys recomend and why. What is the difference between 1080I and 1080P?

Thanks

Glen

The new is P not I. You wan't 1080p from now on.

Consider at least looking at the Pany's and the Pioneer's.

heavyg

Reaction score
Thanks. I was/am leaning towards the mitsubishi because a few yrs back they were considered the best of the best for projection tvs. But I am sure the others have caught up with them

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
Get the P....Once you get a P it will do the I also....at least 2 outta my 3 Flat Panels do....

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
P is progressive scan and I is interlaced the Progressive scan is a smother picture... espically on fast moving events like Action Movies and such... I like the Picture on Samsung DLP cant beat the price or the picture... I'd do a lot of research and read as many reviews as you can from places like Best buy and Circuit city on their websites...

thekavorka

Reaction score
What's the price difference and what kind of things do you do on the tv?

If you play a lot of games or will watch HD/Bluray movies, definitely get 1080p. Progressive is better for fast-paced stuff like sports and video games.

I believe interlaced means that it creates the picture in two rounds while progressive displays the picture in only one round.

If it's for regular shows on TV, I really don't think it matters. Most sports programming is in 720P anyway. Currently, I don't know if any 1080p broadcasts exist.

heavyg

Reaction score
The main thing we do is for me of course watch the Cowboys and OU. We watch ALOT of DVD's. And am going to buy the kids a Playstation or XBox for Christmas. Will be subscribing to DirecTV HD programing the first of the year.

thekavorka

Reaction score
heavyg;1729861 said:
The main thing we do is for me of course watch the Cowboys and OU. We watch ALOT of DVD's. And am going to buy the kids a Playstation or XBox for Christmas. Will be subscribing to DirecTV HD programing the first of the year.

I don't think there will really be a difference in watching DVDs between a 1080i and 1080p. I don't think there are DVD players that can upscale to 1080p.

To get the full effect of 1080p, you need to buy a 360/PS3 or a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. The PS3 also serves as a Blu-ray player.

http://www.avsforum.com/ is a great place to learn and research all this stuff.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
In all of these talks, what is your current eye sight? We are starting to mix what we can really see.

I'll take the cheaper 1080i - looks unbelievable to me. I added Sharp Aquos 37 and 32 in last year for $1,300 on ebay.

rantanamo

Reaction score
Unless you're close to the set, you won't notice the difference. I'd pay attention to everything else on the set and get the best set. Because most can't see the difference in picture. Games and computer sources are a different story though.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
heavyg;1729861 said:

I've been subscribing to their HD package for about 6 years now (it's only an additional 10 bucks a month)... early this month, they rolled out like 70 new HD channels, but I wasn't getting them... so I called DirecTV this morning to find out why not...

Turns out that my 38" RCA with the DirecTV HD DSS already built in is a dinosaur, their hi def receiver is outdated... so for 119.95 (including installation), spread out over 3 months, they're coming out tomorrow to put in a new, external HD DSS, the new generation, and I should be getting all the new HD channels by tomorrow evening...

Yeah, Bay-Bee... of course, my 6 year old RCA is not 1080p, but as others have noted, broadcast TV is generally in 720 anyway, so I can wait for my ship to come in... LOL...

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Nors;1730022 said:
In all of these talks, what is your current eye sight? We are starting to mix what we can really see.

I'll take the cheaper 1080i - looks unbelievable to me. I added Sharp Aquos 37 and 32 in last year for $1,300 on ebay.

Not bad I got me a 42" Smasung DLP 1080P 10,000-1 Contrast ratio from circuit city for 1400.00 that included them delivering it.

BTW the contrast ratio is BIG when looking at any HDTV
the higher the better...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear;1730097 said:
I've been subscribing to their HD package for about 6 years now (it's only an additional 10 bucks a month)... early this month, they rolled out like 70 new HD channels, but I wasn't getting them... so I called DirecTV this morning to find out why not...

Turns out that my 38" RCA with the DirecTV HD DSS already built in is a dinosaur, their hi def receiver is outdated... so for 119.95 (including installation), spread out over 3 months, they're coming out tomorrow to put in a new, external HD DSS, the new generation, and I should be getting all the new HD channels by tomorrow evening...

Yeah, Bay-Bee... of course, my 6 year old RCA is not 1080p, but as others have noted, broadcast TV is generally in 720 anyway, so I can wait for my ship to come in... LOL...
Funny that's exactly what happened to me. I have HD, but wasn't getting the new channels. I didn't get as good a deal with DTV as you. I could've swapped my receiver and dish for free, but since I wanted to upgrade to a DVR, I have to pay. The upgrade is 299 w/a $100 credit. So I pay 199 spread out over three mos.

I don't know if that's a good deal or not. I'm not great at negotiating. I just wanted the new equipment. Only downside is I go from owning my receiver to leasing it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I'm getting my new receiver tomorrow. They promised me when I signed up I'd get the new one (the HR20) when it came out later that year. When it came out and I called they told me they didn't have any record of that and it would be $100 to upgrade. I complained to no avail, and so never upgraded to the HR20.

That was until about 3 months ago someone mentioned in a thread that you are supposed to get a free $100 upgrade every 6 months. I called them about this and they said it was true but I could wait a few more months and there would be another newer model out. In the mean time they could upgrade my other standard receiver to HD. I did that since I picked up a second TV (which I later returned) for a kickoff party this year.

This past week I saw the new HR21 model at Best Buy and called DTV about getting my new receiver to replace my current HD-DVR. At first they wanted me to pay $100 and not get the free upgrade they promised me (again!). But after calling a 2nd time I was able to get the upgrade scheduled for tomorrow. They are charging me the $20 shipping fee which they originally told me they would waive. Little ticked about that. I'm also getting the HR20, not the HR21. They said they aren't sending those to customers yet, even though they're available at stores. But that's ok since I checked and basically all it has is a bigger HD, but it doesn't have an OTA tuner so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Now yesterday I bought 2nd HDTV again to go with the other HD receiver, so now I'll have 2 HDTVs going on Sundays. One 61" and one 32". Once the season is over the 32" and receiver will go into the bedroom to replace our crappy 13" cube of a TV (which is currently in the living room so I can squint to try and watch a 2nd game on Sundays).

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
heavyg;1729861 said:

xbox, trust me, my house has 3 of em (two elites and a core), the ps3, while it has good specs, has no games thus kids get board. and board kids = no good for you

how far are you going to be sitting back? this effects the picture quality

heavyg

Reaction score
i would have to measure. but will be closer than I would like.....

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I added the HD package about 2 months ago and was staying on my normal few station. Did a HD scan and wholly molly - there are a LOT of new HD channels! NFL Network to boot!

silverbear

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1731574 said:
Funny that's exactly what happened to me. I have HD, but wasn't getting the new channels. I didn't get as good a deal with DTV as you. I could've swapped my receiver and dish for free, but since I wanted to upgrade to a DVR, I have to pay. The upgrade is 299 w/a $100 credit. So I pay 199 spread out over three mos.

That's what it would have cost me too, if I'd gone with the DVR... but I have a DVD recorder, don't really feel the need for the DVR right now, so I passed... I may revisit that decision in a year or so...

One little fly in the ointment reared its ugly head, though; when the tech got out to the place on Friday, he couldn't do the installation, because of tree interference on one of the older satellites, that only has three hi def channels on it anyway, none of which I'd ever really watch... but until we get enough leaves off the trees to tune that satellite in, we can't activate the new dish (we get that satellite for six months of the year, don't get it the other six, when the leaves are on the trees)...

So the installation is tentatively scheduled for a week from Monday, by then we should have line of sight again... so I'll have to watch the Pats crush the Skins in lo-def, LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors;1731870 said:
I added the HD package about 2 months ago and was staying on my normal few station. Did a HD scan and wholly molly - there are a LOT of new HD channels! NFL Network to boot!

Yup, there are about 70 of 'em available now, with more to come in the near future... you UFC fans with HDTV will be able to watch the Spike Network in hi def before the end of the year... I'm rather pleased to learn that Comcast MidAtlantic is hi def, I'll be able to watch the Wizards games in hi def this winter... the Golf Channel is hi def now, too... :D

My nephew's weird, he got excited to learn that the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet were gonna be available in hi def... he's one of those UFC fans, too... now to get MidAtlantic SportsNet in hi def before the Orioles resume play next spring; I'm told that it's available in hi def to cable subscribers, so maybe it won't be too much longer...

We live in great times to be couch potatos, friends...

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
heavyg;1729412 said:

Thanks

Glen

Interlaced scan

In a television display, interlaced scan refers to the process of re-assembling a picture from a series of video signals. The "standard" NTSC system uses 525 scanning lines to create a picture (frame). The frame/picture is made up of two fields: The first field has 262.5 odd lines (1,3,5...) and the second field has 262.5 even lines (2,4,6...). The odd lines are scanned (drawn on the screen) in 1/60th of a second, and the even lines follow in the next 1/60th of a second. This presents an entire frame/picture of 525 lines in 1/30th of a second.

Analog NTSC video uses interlaced scanning, as do several digital television formats. Formats that include an "i" (1080i, 480i) use interlaced scanning.

Progressive scan

Some digital television broadcast formats (720p, 480p), and most DVD players, use a type of video signal known as progressive scan. Instead of splitting each video frame into two sequential fields like standard interlaced NTSC video, progressive-scan video displays the entire frame in a single sweep. For example, where standard NTSC video displays 30 frames (60 fields) per second, progressive scan displays 60 full frames per second.

Displaying progressive-scan video requires more bandwidth (there's twice as much vertical information) and a faster horizontal scan frequency than interlaced video. Progressive-scan picture quality is more filmlike, with more fine detail and less flicker. For progressive-scan viewing, you'll need a TV that's HDTV-ready.