11 wins 16 losses. Why so excited?

wrongway

Reaction score
13 years is a long time for any HC. Our core of Dak, Zeke, Tank, etc only know JG and Rod in pro football. A new voice in the room and concepts can turn it all around quickly.
That is the hope, we'll see.

75boyz

Reaction score
You are exactly right. Andy Reid was 12-20 in his last two years in Philly, but he seems to be doing ok in KC

Having Mahommes helps. Unless you think Dak is on Mahommes level then that's an entirely different conversation.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Doomsday, it's funny you mention Payton. Did you know that their records are eerily similar:

McCarthy = 125-77-2 (13 Years)
Payton = 131-77 (14 Years)

And, McCarthy has a better playoff record (10-8 vs. 8-7). This was quite the topic on a few of the Sports Talk Shows yesterday.

Its a team game. When evaluating individuals I try to evaluate them within what they control. When NO beat Dallas earlier this year, they did so with an inferior team (IMHO). There have been many times when I saw Payton coach and think "this guy is . . . . gooood." I don't have that same feeling from McCarthy.

I'm not being pessimistic. I hope it works out great but I just don't have McCarthy anywhere near Payton as far as coaching goes. Hopefully MM proves me wrong.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
What have you done for me lately? Wade and Garrett had 13 win seasons...

McCarthy is one of only 3-4 coaches to ever go to the playoffs 8 years straight. Your comment on Rodgers is just lazy. McCarthy/Rodgers; Manning/Dungy; Payton/Brees; Carroll/Wilson...all the same number of SB wins and similar in playoff style. Aikman, Favre and a host of others have said it is a great hire and he is great and developing QBs and running an offense.

If we go on your warped thinking then Landry sucked because he lost he last few years. Stop these inane threads.

CB61

Reaction score
Well supposedly he spent the year he was out of coaching analyzing his offense and other offenses so maybe he's changed his ways? For our sake we better hope so and he keeps the defense on their toes unlike the article about him that said he didn't give a s*** about the defense and we don't know if that's true or not but I sure hope not

75boyz

Reaction score
McCarthy is one of only 3-4 coaches to ever go to the playoffs 8 years straight. Your comment on Rodgers is just lazy. McCarthy/Rodgers; Manning/Dungy; Payton/Brees; Carroll/Wilson...all the same number of SB wins and similar in playoff style. Aikman, Favre and a host of others have said it is a great hire and he is great and developing QBs and running an offense.

If we go on your warped thinking then Landry sucked because he lost he last few years. Stop these inane threads.

I would not call it inane to point out that the hiring of a coach whose last 60 games were sub .500 with one of the best Qbs of alltime is somehow not concerning unless you believe that the current QB is on the level of this coach's previous QB, then that is an entirely different convetsation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was a failure worse than Garrett in his last 2 seasons in Green Bay, causing him to be fired mid-season.

I don't understand the excitement of him being our new HC. Is it just because he studied film and has an analytics team? That might be new for him but it's not new for the Cowboys.

IMO, Mike McCarthy road the coattails of great QBs and it's a huge disappointment that he's now our coach. I hope he doesn't have much to do with our offense because without Rogers here to make him look good it's going to be ugly if we use his offense.

This is an interesting read...some really crappy play designs and standard/boring play designs:

https://theriotreport.com/mike-mccarthy-panthers-scheme-breakdown/

Only a fool would make a analysis based on 2 out of 13 years.

MMObserver

Reaction score
I don’t care what he did with a organization that didn’t want to invest in defense. Seems like the only thing they’ve invested in was quarterback and wide receivers.

Green Bay spent every one of its first picks in the draft on defense between 2012 and 2018.

They also spent 12 of their 15 round 1 and 2 picks on defense.

Yet, the defense stunk and McCarthy kept telling everyone that Dom Capers was a great defensive coordinator LOL.

McCarthy's defenses and special teams were awful because he basically ignored them.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I guess when the knife is no good, you throw it away. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

garyo1954

Reaction score
Some of yall seem to be picking fleas off the dog and trying to say that one little flea makes the whole dog rotten!
One bad apple, you wanna cut the tree down and throw all the apples away.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike McCarthy was a failure worse than Garrett in his last 2 seasons in Green Bay, causing him to be fired mid-season.

I don't understand the excitement of him being our new HC. Is it just because he studied film and has an analytics team? That might be new for him but it's not new for the Cowboys.

IMO, Mike McCarthy road the coattails of great QBs and it's a huge disappointment that he's now our coach. I hope he doesn't have much to do with our offense because without Rogers here to make him look good it's going to be ugly if we use his offense.

This is an interesting read...some really crappy play designs and standard/boring play designs:

I know, right? I mean, we should have hired one of the several 13-3 in their last season head coaches that were fired instead. :rolleyes:

aria

Reaction score
Rodgers missed around 9 games in 2017 and he was saddled with Hundley.
And now he’ll be saddled with Dak. McCarthy is about to be exposed without his HOF QB’s covering up his conservative play calling.

morat1959

Reaction score
Having Mahommes helps. Unless you think Dak is on Mahommes level then that's an entirely different conversation.
You can’t have debate with those fans. They only see those fantasy numbers.

johneric8

Reaction score

Guess what? Many of us are thrilled that the freckled puppet is gone and he have a forward thinking super bowl winning coach to lead our men, forgive us....

75boyz

Reaction score
Green Bay spent every one of its first picks in the draft on defense between 2012 and 2018.

They also spent 12 of their 15 round 1 and 2 picks on defense.

Yet, the defense stunk and McCarthy kept telling everyone that Dom Capers was a great defensive coordinator LOL.

McCarthy's defenses and special teams were awful because he basically ignored them.

It's as though NorTex's overall point is flying past everybody!

Not Only is Dak not as good as Rodgers or Mahommes...

But coaching wise, McCarthy is not as good as Reid or Payton

Payton wins with Bridgewater or backups.
Reid wins with Alex Smith before even Mahommes shows up.

McCarthy doesn't win without Rodgers.

This ain't rocket science.

The reason why I posted to your thread is the basic reasoning behind Green Bay "NOT" drafting anything but defensive platers is BECAUSE they already had Rodgers who, believe it or NOT, is one of those guys who historically "covered up a lot of team warts" by his play alone.

I'm a homer but my gosh, I don't ignore my eyeballs either. Call a spade a spade.

Coy

Reaction score
Reid was 53-27 with the Chiefs before Mahomes. Certainly we can agree that Dak is a better QB than Alex Smith.

I am not sure about that, I'd say they are about equal, good QB's that can win when they a great team and HC around them.
Anyway, I like the McCarthy hire, he knows QB's and will help Dak.

MMObserver

Reaction score
It's as though NorTex's overall point is flying past everybody!

Not Only is Dak not as good as Rodgers or Mahommes...

But coaching wise, McCarthy is not as good as Reid or Payton

Payton wins with Bridgewater or backups.
Reid wins with Alex Smith before even Mahommes shows up.

McCarthy doesn't win without Rodgers.

This ain't rocket science.

The reason why I posted to your thread is the basic reasoning behind Green Bay "NOT" drafting anything but defensive platers is BECAUSE they already had Rodgers who, believe it or NOT, is one of those guys who historically "covered up a lot of team warts" by his play alone.

I'm a homer but my gosh, I don't ignore my eyeballs either. Call a spade a spade.

Rodgers was known as the "deodorant," because he continually erased the "stink" of the Packers D (and the Special Teams).

The Packers defensive DVOA rankings for 2013-2016 are as follows:

2013: 29th
2014: 18th
2015: 14th
2016: 23rd

Meanwhile, the Packers defensive spending (active roster cap) ranking for those same years, as set forth below, reveal that Green Bay poured a lot of money into those below average performing defensive units:

2013: 6th
2014; 4th
2015: 5th
2016: 6th

Remember, this was BEFORE McCarthy's 7-9 2017 season and 4-7-1 shortened 2018 season.