11 wins 16 losses. Why so excited?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I would not call it inane to point out that the hiring of a coach whose last 60 games were sub .500 with one of the best Qbs of alltime is somehow not concerning unless you believe that the current QB is on the level of this coach's previous QB, then that is an entirely different convetsation.

Football isn't in a vacuum. Besides a few teams and coaches in the history of the league, no one wins every year and no one sustains that system throughout. Many of the top names in the league now started as failures...Carroll(3rd team); Belichick(2nd team); Reid (2nd team); etc. So to say because after 13 years, a guy basically has issues because of his last 2 is disingenuous. People are just looking for reasons to complain now.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I know, right? I mean, we should have hired one of the several 13-3 in their last season head coaches that were fired instead. :rolleyes:

Right.!! No, let's take the hot college guy who just got destroyed in ANOTHER bowl game by a better opponent...that would never happen in the NFL...he's the sexy pick.

75boyz

Reaction score
Reid was 53-27 with the Chiefs before Mahomes. Certainly we can agree that Dak is a better QB than Alex Smith.

As the other guy posted...About the same. Smith was very good with San Fran with that Willis and Bowman defense and Gore running the rock. Complimentary game manager along with Dak, who can win if he has an extremely strong supporting cast.

Could not go to any team and "immediately" be called some kinda difference maker as the truly elite ones are capable of doing.

75boyz

Reaction score
Rodgers was known as the "deodorant," because he continually erased the "stink" of the Packers D (and the Special Teams).

The Packers defensive DVOA rankings for 2013-2016 are as follows:

2013: 29th
2014: 18th
2015: 14th
2016: 23rd

Meanwhile, the Packers defensive spending (active roster cap) ranking for those same years, as set forth below, reveal that Green Bay poured a lot of money into those below average performing defensive units:

2013: 6th
2014; 4th
2015: 5th
2016: 6th

Remember, this was BEFORE McCarthy's 7-9 2017 season and 4-7-1 shortened 2018 season.

Yup, exactly. When you already have a multi-year MVP QB all team resources are spent on defense and it STILL amounted to no defensive improvement.
Coaching has to come into play somewhere...

uvaballa

Reaction score
10-8 in the playoffs is better than almost every coach in the NFL.

75boyz

Reaction score
We have no choice but to give MM a year to show what he’s got. I hope for the best. But he’d have been way down my list.

Jerry is delusional. He thinks he has the best roster in the NFL and only needs better plays/ideas in order to succeed. He’s wrong of course. The culture is the problem. We need a coach to tear away the entitlement that Jerry propagates. MM isn’t doing that.

I agree and especially with your last 4 sentences. Multiple Likes. Perfectly summed up.

75boyz

Reaction score
Football isn't in a vacuum. Besides a few teams and coaches in the history of the league, no one wins every year and no one sustains that system throughout. Many of the top names in the league now started as failures...Carroll(3rd team); Belichick(2nd team); Reid (2nd team); etc. So to say because after 13 years, a guy basically has issues because of his last 2 is disingenuous. People are just looking for reasons to complain now.

My real point was that this coach's winning percentage was tied directly to the performance and health of his previous team's quarterback. I view that QB as extremely superior to the QB he inherits with the Cowboys and that this coach will not be able to accomplish anywhere near the offensive success he had with his previous QB. Just my opinion and it may be somewhat interpreted as in a vacuum but I don't know of any other way of expressing it.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
People need to give McCarthy a chance! Coaches do burnout being in one place too long unless your name is Belichick.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Actually, 13-3 without Romo the last time Garrett was without his starting franchise QB.

Really is that your go to line. Romo was replaced by a record setting rookie of the year when Aaron was replaced by who??? I’ll wait while you google the answer :facepalm:

It’s ok not to like him but your analogy of why is senseless.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Green Bay spent every one of its first picks in the draft on defense between 2012 and 2018.

They also spent 12 of their 15 round 1 and 2 picks on defense.

Yet, the defense stunk and McCarthy kept telling everyone that Dom Capers was a great defensive coordinator LOL.

McCarthy's defenses and special teams were awful because he basically ignored them.
A real invest is to pick actual good players though.

MMObserver

Reaction score
A real invest is to pick actual good players though.

Very true, it was the GM Thompson who picked so many pathetic defensive players in the first or second round this decade (Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Josh Jones, Jerrel Worthy, etc.) and McCarthy is not responsible for that poor drafting record.

However, McCarthy, and more accurately his DC Dom Capers (who MM stood loyally by long by his sell by date), also played important roles in the Packers' decision to move on from CB Casey Hayward who then signed for $5M a year with the Chargers and became an All-Pro and to stupidly refuse to play Micah Hyde at his natural position - Safety. When Hyde signed a modest deal in Buff $6M annually, he too immediately made the pro bowl as a Safety.

Thompson is mostly responsible for the year after year of terrible defensive play in Green Bay between 2011-2018 (not one season in top 10 of scoring defense), but head coach Mike McCarthy cannot possibly escape blame for that debacle either.

PS (Packers returned to top 10 in scoring D this season and are currently 13-3).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Very true, it was the GM Thompson who picked so many pathetic defensive players in the first or second round this decade (Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Josh Jones, Jerrel Worthy, etc.) and McCarthy is not responsible for that poor drafting record.

However, McCarthy, and more accurately his DC Dom Capers (who MM stood loyally by long by his sell by date), also played important roles in the Packers' decision to move on from CB Casey Hayward who then signed for $5M a year with the Chargers and became an All-Pro and to stupidly refuse to play Micah Hyde at his natural position - Safety. When Hyde signed a modest deal in Buff $6M annually, he too immediately made the pro bowl as a Safety.

Thompson is mostly responsible for the year after year of terrible defensive play in Green Bay between 2011-2018 (not one season in top 10 of scoring defense), but head coach Mike McCarthy cannot possibly escape blame for that debacle either.

PS (Packers returned to top 10 in scoring D this season and are currently 13-3).
They did but they also invested in that defense this year. They’ve never invested this much in that defense.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was a failure worse than Garrett in his last 2 seasons in Green Bay, causing him to be fired mid-season.

I don't understand the excitement of him being our new HC. Is it just because he studied film and has an analytics team? That might be new for him but it's not new for the Cowboys.

IMO, Mike McCarthy road the coattails of great QBs and it's a huge disappointment that he's now our coach. I hope he doesn't have much to do with our offense because without Rogers here to make him look good it's going to be ugly if we use his offense.

This is an interesting read...some really crappy play designs and standard/boring play designs:

https://theriotreport.com/mike-mccarthy-panthers-scheme-breakdown/
A failure worst than Garrett? Are you insane.

Look at the talent that Garrett had this season and they failed to make the playoffs when only needing 9 wins to win the division.

Name one time McCarthy had that kind of talent and failed to make the playoffs. Man y'all fools are tripping

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
Doesn't matter who was replacing Garrett, the FAN-atics wouldn't be happy. I think there is some sort of cliche saying this (sarcasm)
The only way they would be happy is if the coach they wanted got hired

Big_D

Reaction score
What about the previous 8? lol I'm excited because we're finally rid of Garrett and McCarthy's a better coach with an actual resume.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A failure worst than Garrett? Are you insane.

Look at the talent that Garrett had this season and they failed to make the playoffs when only needing 9 wins to win the division.

Name one time McCarthy had that kind of talent and failed to make the playoffs. Man y'all fools are tripping
I’m
Not gonna sit here and pretend like McCarthy is Bill Bellicheat but what I do know is he knows how to simply manage a game and that alone would’ve increased our win totals by about 3 if he was here this year.