#18 Could the Cowboys Surprise us ?

garyv

Reaction score
4/9/2013: The guys at the Huddle Report believe the Cowboys are interested in drafting Alabama running back Eddie Lacy with that No. 18 overall pick. Before you dismiss that because you haven't heard of the source, consider that they were also one of the first sources to report that the Cowboys were interested in trading up for Morris Claiborne last year.

reddyuta

Reaction score
We should never draft a RB with our first 2 picks at all,I would be seriously mad if we picked Lacy @18 .

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
reddyuta;5046851 said:
We should never draft a RB with our first 2 picks at all,I would be seriously mad if we picked Lacy @18 .

I would be really upset too, especially because we already have a feature back in Murray. And we need an Oline to run behind. I can see Jerry getting drunk in the war room and doing this though.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they do in fact take Lacy in the first, I will lose all hope for this franchise until better heads are in control.

There is no plausible reason to take a RB there when there are numerous other positions that are in dire need.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Just because your player does not get picked does not make it a bad pick. Murray has been injured 2 years in a row, he is beggining to exhibit the dreaded injury prone label. Also if Lacy is the highest rated person on your board you take him. You take the best player availabe period in the draft even if it is Lacy or Tavon Austin.

If the Cowboys missed out on JJ Watt for Tyrone Smith because Smith was in a position of need, that would be poor drafting. Now to be be fair, I don't think anyone thought Watt was going to be that great or he would have certainly been the first pick in that draft. The point I'm trying to make is that you don't reach for need.

What if Dallas went
1st round Eddie Lacy
2nd round Terron Armstead
3rd round Brian Schwenke

OT and G can be addressed later, it does not have to be addressed in the first round to be adequately filled.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
neosapien23;5046887 said:
Just because your player does not get picked does not make it a bad pick. Murray has been injured 2 years in a row, he is beggining to exhibit the dreaded injury prone label. Also if Lacy is the highest rated person on your board you take him. You take the best player availabe period in the draft even if it is Lacy or Tavon Austin.

If the Cowboys missed out on JJ Watt for Tyrone Smith because Smith was in a position of need, that would be poor drafting. Now to be be fair, I don't think anyone thought Watt was going to be that great or he would have certainly been the first pick in that draft. The point I'm trying to make is that you don't reach for need.

What if Dallas went
1st round Eddie Lacy
3rd round Brian Schwenke

OT and G can be addressed later, it does not have to be addressed in the first round to be adequately filled.

I just don't think Lacy was that good. He benefited from the offensive linemen, such as Warmack and Fluker, who we could also benefit more from.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What if Dallas went
1st round Eddie Lacy
3rd round Brian Schwenke

RB is quite simply the EASIEST position to get a guy to play. At THIS stage of our building it would be a nonsensical decision imo.

Doug Martin was a better prospect imo. Lacy sure as hell aint no Trent Richardson or even Mark Ingram.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score

What if Dallas went
1st round Eddie Lacy
3rd round Brian Schwenke

Also, you don't reach for need. But should we draft another LT at this point? How about an ILB? Let's break the bank on another CB? At some point, need should be an issue.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Outside of Franklin and maybe Lacy this is a pretty lethargic group of RBs not that exciting, but decent.

I would be somewhat upset, but won't be raving lunatic mad.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Of all the players to draft at 18, Dallas takes Lacy, I think there is 0% chance this happens.

Aven8

Reaction score
Somewhere in DC Shanahan is snickering at this notion.

While I would love to have him, it would be the dumbest move by Garrett ever. And yes, I said Garrett.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think Lacy is going to be a very good every down NFL RB. If you spend a first and get an every down back then you have done well. OTOH, I think they can take an OT or DL with that pick and they would have to be a little lucky to find the same bet later on. But there are going to be NFL ready starting tackles and guards in the first three rounds. So getting an OL after the first is not a major problem for me.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I could totally see Jerrah taking Lacy at 18.... cuz it would be one of the dumbest picks in cowboys history. Yep, Jerrah very well could take Lacy at 18.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
For the first time in years I really have no idea who we are gonna take. My top 3 choices, Cooper, Vaccaro and Warmack could all be gone.

If Dallas suprises us, I think it will be Menelik Watson. Something about the lack of attention to OT position unnerves me a bit. That at when talking about Eric Winston, someone said we'd rather address OT in the draft.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Most of the guys we want might be gone. Cooper, Warmack, Vaccaro, Floyd, Johnson, Fluker, etc.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
If all the players that Cowboys wanted are gone, then trade down for more picks. There are lot of good players in second thru fourth round.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I would definitely not take this vastly overrated RB who played behind an all-world OL. Those guys were a well-oiled and experienced machine this year and they just obliterated other teams. Lacy has so-so speed and some power. He is really probably a 3rd round RB. There is no way he is worth of our first rounder.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Eskimo;5046985 said:
I would definitely not take this vastly overrated RB who played behind an all-world OL. Those guys were a well-oiled and experienced machine this year and they just obliterated other teams. Lacy has so-so speed and some power. He is really probably a 3rd round RB. There is no way he is worth of our first rounder.
I was watching the nightly draft show on NFLNW last night and they broke down the RB class pretty well and also discussed Lacy's Pro Day.

There were 4 different scouts, ex GMs, and analysts giving opinions.
When asked if Lacy was a 1st round talent, NONE of them said he was.

Several thought he may go in the late 1st anyway because 5-6 teams then could use a RB. But all of them thought he was 2nd or even 3rd round material.

From rounds 2-4,
* they all like Lacy "ok" but 3 of 4 were very alarmed that he could not even finish his positon drills at his pro day--which is unheard for a skill player.

* one loved Jonathan Franklin and thought he combined on-field explosiveness and big play ability more than other backs also capable of carrying a full load.

* one Scout loved Stephon Taylor becasue of his all-around ability plus his superior abiltiy to pass protect--which is a skill that keeps many rookies who lack it on the bench.

* another liked both Giovani Bernard and Adre Ellingtoon about the same, but said 15 carries per game is best for them. Both are big play players though.

* another flat out loved Montee Ball. He said that he would give the most long term bang for the buck as a bell-cow back.

Bottomline is that Lacy may go late in the 1st rough by some team reaching for him, but really, Lacy to Dallas at 18 is next to impossible. Nice smokescreen for that team willing to reach for him maybe.

Macnalty

Reaction score
garyv;5046846 said:
4/9/2013: The guys at the Huddle Report believe the Cowboys are interested in drafting Alabama running back Eddie Lacy with that No. 18 overall pick. Before you dismiss that because you haven't heard of the source, consider that they were also one of the first sources to report that the Cowboys were interested in trading up for Morris Claiborne last year.

That is not accurate,
he uses a pattern called the talent board so he has Lacy has the 18th most talented rookie available. He down-rates Chance Warmack because he is not versatile and only plays one position guard. This guy is a film watcher and typically a very accurate judge of talent. Hard to argue when you have this context.
I personally missed the game that placed Ansah in such high esteem. His take is all these guys will contribute this year.

1 OT Eric Fisher Central Michigan
2 DE Ezekiel Ansah BYU
3 DT Star Lotulelei Utah
4 CB Dee Milliner Alabama
5 OT Luke Joeckel Texas A&M
6 LB Jarvis Jones Georgia
7 OT Lane Johnson Oklahoma
8 DE Dion Jordan Oregon
9 DE Barkevious Mingo LSU
10 DT Sheldon Richardson Missouri
11 DE Bjoern Werner Florida St
12 CB Desmond Trufant Washington