#18 Could the Cowboys Surprise us ?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Macnalty;5047408 said:
That is not accurate,
he uses a pattern called the talent board so he has Lacy has the 18th most talented rookie available. He down-rates Chance Warmack because he is not versatile and only plays one position guard. This guy is a film watcher and typically a very accurate judge of talent. Hard to argue when you have this context.
I personally missed the game that placed Ansah in such high esteem. His take is all these guys will contribute this year.

1 OT Eric Fisher Central Michigan
2 DE Ezekiel Ansah BYU
3 DT Star Lotulelei Utah
4 CB Dee Milliner Alabama
5 OT Luke Joeckel Texas A&M
6 LB Jarvis Jones Georgia
7 OT Lane Johnson Oklahoma
8 DE Dion Jordan Oregon
9 DE Barkevious Mingo LSU
10 DT Sheldon Richardson Missouri
11 DE Bjoern Werner Florida St
12 CB Desmond Trufant Washington
13 DT Sharrif Floyd Florida
14 WR Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee
15 LB Alec Ogletree Georgia
16 CB Xavier Rhodes Florida St
17 LB Arthur Brown Kansas St
18 RB Eddie Lacy Alabama
19 DE Cornellius Carradine Florida St
20 DE Damontre Moore Texas A&M
21 OT DJ Fluker Alabama
22 WR DeAndre Hopkins Clemson
23 WR Tavon Austin West Virginia
24 OG Chance Warmack Alabama
25 S Kenny Vaccaro Texas
26 DT Jesse Williams Alabama
27 OG Jonathan Cooper North Carolina
28 CB Jamar Taylor Boise St
29 DT John Jenkins Georgia
30 OT Menelik Watson Florida St
31 DE Margus Hunt SMU
32 S Eric Reid LSU
Thanks for clarifying that. That means he is no way saying Dallas will take Lacy at 18, just that he ranks him 18th...huge difference. So wrong thread title and tweet.

Some interesting takes from his ratings, besides the fact that everrates Lacy, imo. :)

• Cooper as 27 best player....uh, no.
  • Tavon Austin as 23rd best and 3rd best WR...that will ruffle some feathers
  • Arthur Brown as 17th best player...that'll make some Brown fans happy around here.
  • Jarvis Jones as 6th best
Interesting outlook

Eskimo

Reaction score
Macnalty;5047408 said:
That is not accurate,
he uses a pattern called the talent board so he has Lacy has the 18th most talented rookie available. He down-rates Chance Warmack because he is not versatile and only plays one position guard. This guy is a film watcher and typically a very accurate judge of talent. Hard to argue when you have this context.
I personally missed the game that placed Ansah in such high esteem. His take is all these guys will contribute this year.

1 OT Eric Fisher Central Michigan
2 DE Ezekiel Ansah BYU
3 DT Star Lotulelei Utah
4 CB Dee Milliner Alabama
5 OT Luke Joeckel Texas A&M
6 LB Jarvis Jones Georgia
7 OT Lane Johnson Oklahoma
8 DE Dion Jordan Oregon
9 DE Barkevious Mingo LSU
10 DT Sheldon Richardson Missouri
11 DE Bjoern Werner Florida St
12 CB Desmond Trufant Washington
13 DT Sharrif Floyd Florida
14 WR Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee
15 LB Alec Ogletree Georgia
16 CB Xavier Rhodes Florida St
17 LB Arthur Brown Kansas St
18 RB Eddie Lacy Alabama
19 DE Cornellius Carradine Florida St
20 DE Damontre Moore Texas A&M
21 OT DJ Fluker Alabama
22 WR DeAndre Hopkins Clemson
23 WR Tavon Austin West Virginia
24 OG Chance Warmack Alabama
25 S Kenny Vaccaro Texas
26 DT Jesse Williams Alabama
27 OG Jonathan Cooper North Carolina
28 CB Jamar Taylor Boise St
29 DT John Jenkins Georgia
30 OT Menelik Watson Florida St
31 DE Margus Hunt SMU
32 S Eric Reid LSU

Just curious if you have his listings from the 2010 and 2011 drafts.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Eskimo;5046985 said:
I would definitely not take this vastly overrated RB who played behind an all-world OL. Those guys were a well-oiled and experienced machine this year and they just obliterated other teams. Lacy has so-so speed and some power. He is really probably a 3rd round RB. There is no way he is worth of our first rounder.

This is interesting to me because we seldom disagree and I think most scouts think he is the best running back in the draft. He has 4.5 speed, elusiveness, toughness, breaks tackles and runs with some power as well. I think he's a first round player. OTOH, I think RB is just not as premium as it once was. And I don't dismiss the quality of the players around him. I think he's going to be a very good NFL RB. I don't think he's the player for us but we can draft OL later on so I would not flip out over this pick.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset if we went lacy at 18 if cooper AND warmack AND vaccaro. If one of those 3 are there and we go lacy I will flip my lid.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Eskimo;5047417 said:
Here's Rough Draft's (one of best in 2012 rankings) final mock drafts and rankings for 2011 and 2012.
I'll try to find Huddle Report's

2013 Top 100 (very different)
http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/161

2012 Mock
http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/154

2012 Top 100
http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/136

2011 Mock
http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/112

2011 Top 100
http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/5

Macnalty

Reaction score
Eskimo;5047417 said:

I looked an he does not list his previous years mocks. I can tell you from my memory he is not accurate with the picks. He is more about time to impact the team with the players given talent. Some players he has rated as stepping in right away and other 2-3 years before they help their respected team. Here is his Lacy diagnoses:

CONCERNS
Eddie is not going to catch the ball down the field for you consistently. As an outlet receiver, he is fine, but I don't think he has the hands to go into the slot and catch many balls down the field. He is not a very good blocker in the backfield on passing downs, he has decent lateral agility, but not what you need for blocking a blitzing linebacker across the formation. Eddie also runs upright, which will be a problem at the next level in short yardage situations.

BOTTOM LINE
When this kid gets his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage, he has the ability to go through tackles and make big runs just like Marshawn Lynch. When he runs off tackle, as long as he is attacking the line of scrimmage he will punish anybody that gets in his way. Make him go east-west and he will be easier to deal with on most plays. Anyway you look at it, you had better make sure the strap of your helmet is on tight and you wrap him up real good if you expect to tackle this kid and take him down. When he gets up to speed in the open field, all I can tell you is that you haven't got a prayer if you tackle him high. He will break that tackle and go for more yardage quicker than you can grab your kid out of the pool when the color of the blue water around his best friend changes to that real deep shade of blue. If you know what I mean. Eddie runs too upright at this point of his career because he is accustomed to running through holes as wide as a mobile home. On film, I don't see him getting tackled at the line of scrimmage very much at the college level. That won't happen at the next level and he will have to learn to lower his pads to get the tough yardage if he wants to reach his full potential and impact for the team that drafts him. That's the biggest issue for a lot of running backs coming into the draft, but especially for the Alabama running backs. The pad levels are so high because the holes are so big and they can get up to top speed the minute you hand off the ball to them. They don't have to look for a hole -- it's right there in front of them, just waiting for the running back to get the ball and run through it at top speed. It takes running backs coming out of college, time to learn they might have to wait and find the hole in the NFL before they run through it. Even if they find the hole, the pad level needs to be low or they will get knocked off their feet going through it. Eddie will learn and, when he does, he should impact and be able to carry a teams running game by himself, that's if he learns to block better.

His mocks are never about how the draft will be it is how the talent will play out in the NFL.

Here is his report on Dez he is scary how accurate he is sometimes:

STRENGTHS
Dez is a big, powerful Wide Receiver who has excellent speed and quickness. He does a very good job blocking and doesn't seem to take any downs off. He shows strong hands to go up and get the ball on the numerous "throw up routes" that his college team seems to favor for all of their receivers. Dez, on the field, has that "I want to be the best player on the field" attitude that will do him well at the next level. As a Sophomore, he was much bigger than most, if not all, corners he went up against. He is a very good special teams returner because of his quickness and the ability to get up to full speed with very long strides quickly. When he makes his cuts, he is very compact which makes his ability to get away from a defender that much harder to deal with because once he comes out of his cuts, his long stride gives him excellent separation. Dez is a strong runner. He takes a hit, holds onto the ball and keeps his legs moving until he is down to the ground. This makes him a wide receiver that can move the chains and go deep at the next level. All of this makes Dez very difficult to defend against.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
From what I can see from his sophomore year, Dez runs one route and runs that route very well. He runs at full speed, stops, jumps in the air and catches the ball. I'm pretty sure this kid thinks a route tree is something you go into the woods and cut down. I have not seen any consistency in his ability to run a route at full speed and catch a ball while his feet are moving. All of his routes that I see are stop, curl, jump, out muscle, catch the ball. At this point, I question his hands and his ability to be consistent catching the ball off every route in the receiver tree. I suspect his future workout will be strategically set up to mask this little problem.

dart

Reaction score
hes my still number one draft surprise

has been for months

"Lacy sure as hell aint no Trent Richardson or even Mark Ingram"

and you know this how?

an don't give this BS because he ran behind Warmack Jones Fluker

just picking the right school

but I think we go D line or O line

but I wuold not be surprised at Lacy

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If Dallas surprises this board it will be by taking Tank Carradine, who rarely has got a mention unless it's regarding the second round.

Just don't see Lacy as the pick in any scenario.

dart

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;5047773 said:
If Dallas surprises this board it will be by taking Tank Carradine, who rarely has got a mention unless it's regarding the second round.

Just don't see Lacy as the pick in any scenario.

we won't draftt Tank at 18

your comment on Lacy is why you live in Canada

like Muarry is a real clonfidence booster

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
DFWJC;5047350 said:
I was watching the nightly draft show on NFLNW last night and they broke down the RB class pretty well and also discussed Lacy's Pro Day.

There were 4 different scouts, ex GMs, and analysts giving opinions.
When asked if Lacy was a 1st round talent, NONE of them said he was.

Several thought he may go in the late 1st anyway because 5-6 teams then could use a RB. But all of them thought he was 2nd or even 3rd round material.

From rounds 2-4,
* they all like Lacy "ok" but 3 of 4 were very alarmed that he could not even finish his positon drills at his pro day--which is unheard for a skill player.

* one loved Jonathan Franklin and thought he combined on-field explosiveness and big play ability more than other backs also capable of carrying a full load.

* one Scout loved Stephon Taylor becasue of his all-around ability plus his superior abiltiy to pass protect--which is a skill that keeps many rookies who lack it on the bench.

* another liked both Giovani Bernard and Adre Ellingtoon about the same, but said 15 carries per game is best for them. Both are big play players though.

* another flat out loved Montee Ball. He said that he would give the most long term bang for the buck as a bell-cow back.

Bottomline is that Lacy may go late in the 1st rough by some team reaching for him, but really, Lacy to Dallas at 18 is next to impossible. Nice smokescreen for that team willing to reach for him maybe.

I gotta think we shoot for Stepfan Taylor in the 3rd, because he can block and because he can catch the screens and short passes and turn them into yards. He runs like a champ too.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The pick that would surprise me would be the right pick. That is, let's say Cooper or Warmack are there for the taking and Jerrah actually drafts him. THAT would surprise me.

RS12

Reaction score
Surpises would include Austin, Patterson, Ogletree and Eifort. Under no circumstances do I see Lacy or Te'o.

Tex

Reaction score
Qb. Wr or RB in the first and I swear I will vomit. We need LINE. Oline and Dline.

Crap make every single pick Oline, Dline and maybe a safety if we cant get a FA (which I would prefer) We need an experienced safety that knows Kiffens defense for maybe two years. But for now we draft all big ugly lineman. OG, C, DT, DE. THAT SHOULD BE THE FOCUS. Draft 7 of them. Pray 3 pan out.

Cowboy

newlander

Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5047869 said:
The pick that would surprise me would be the right pick. That is, let's say Cooper or Warmack are there for the taking and Jerrah actually drafts him. THAT would surprise me.

......nothing more to add.:bow:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dallas trades back and then further back to recoup picks.

2010 - 2012 drafts landed us a bunch of fancy sports cars. This year we need to draft some Dump trucks and 4 wheel drives.