1970 NFC Championship Dallas Cowboys at San Francisco

Roger78

rmahler
Reaction score
Morton was basically the ‘70s version of Drew Bledsoe. That is why Roger became my all time favorite Cowboy! I was 14 in 1970 and I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember laying in bed that night after we beat the 49ers so excited! After the 2 nightmares with Green Bay and the 2 with Cleveland to finally going farther than we ever did before was so amazing!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

I did get a kick out of the commercials too. It really takes you back a ways.

The commercials are like what Don Draper would have produced.

What makes it even better is Summerall.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
This game is interesting to watch, it is the 1st NFC Championship Dallas ever won.
This was the year Tom took over play calling at mid season and they also started a winning streak at that point.
I dont think Tom was a great play caller, what he did was just not call many pass plays, most of which were
screens, and that cut out int's.
Dallas had such a great defense, at the start of this game they say Dallas has not allowed a TD in 21 qtr's !!
they went 2 more in this game so 23 without allowing a td!
With that type of defense Dallas did not rely too much on the offense, to win, just mainly dont turn it over
and score a few points.
The same defense only allowed 1 TD in the baltimore SB game, and they still lost.
And that one TD was controversial.
Duane Thomas had around 135 yds in this game.
Landry showed some emotion at the end of game on sideline, and in locker room said something interesting.
It is full game and has commercials , some of which are funny.

its the first NFC championship ANY team won :)

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
This game is interesting to watch, it is the 1st NFC Championship Dallas ever won.
This was the year Tom took over play calling at mid season and they also started a winning streak at that point.
I dont think Tom was a great play caller, what he did was just not call many pass plays, most of which were
screens, and that cut out int's.
Dallas had such a great defense, at the start of this game they say Dallas has not allowed a TD in 21 qtr's !!
they went 2 more in this game so 23 without allowing a td!
With that type of defense Dallas did not rely too much on the offense, to win, just mainly dont turn it over
and score a few points.
The same defense only allowed 1 TD in the baltimore SB game, and they still lost.
And that one TD was controversial.
Duane Thomas had around 135 yds in this game.
Landry showed some emotion at the end of game on sideline, and in locker room said something interesting.
It is full game and has commercials , some of which are funny.

I saw this stadium when I visited SF, I was shocked that an NFL team played there, it looked like a high school stadium

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I remember that game. Even as a teenager, I was mad at Landry for sticking with Morton. What was even worse was the Superbowl where Morton had a splint on his finger on his passing hand and Landry stuck with Morton. He couldn't pass the ball when he was healthy and here he was starting QB in the Superbowl...with Roger on the bench.
but Roger didnt play much at all before 1971, why would you just put an inexperienced person in a super bowl? Are you sure you were mad then or is it your memory playing tricks (I ask respectfully)?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
its the first NFC championship ANY team won :)
so before that it was still nfl champ?
I saw this stadium when I visited SF, I was shocked that an NFL team played there, it looked like a high school stadium
it was candlestick?? or something before that? Nfl teams didnt have a lot of money back in that time period.
but Roger didnt play much at all before 1971, why would you just put an inexperienced person in a super bowl? Are you sure you were mad then or is it your memory playing tricks (I ask respectfully)?
I think it is hindsight, no one knew rodger would
be good, and back then once you were a starter, coaches would play them no matter what .
Also Landrys plan was to just move the ball by running a lot and using screens and short passes, what we now call dink and dunk.
The dallas defense was so good, the offense didnt have to do much to win usually.
The problem with that plan, is in the playoffs, and they are facing another team with really good defense, then your offense might not put up
enough points to win.
Thats what happened in the SB, the fumble by duane hurt, then the lucky freak td pass by balt, and they lose.
Both teams had a good defense. Even SF defense was good, I think they gave up or tired out in this game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

I did get a kick out of the commercials too. It really takes you back a ways.

The commercials are like what Don Draper would have produced.

What makes it even better is Summerall.
I thought that was summerall, wasnt sure. and they talked about shows like glen cambell, and mission impossible, the honeymooners , and then the car commercials were so bad.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Morton was basically the ‘70s version of Drew Bledsoe. That is why Roger became my all time favorite Cowboy! I was 14 in 1970 and I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember laying in bed that night after we beat the 49ers so excited! After the 2 nightmares with Green Bay and the 2 with Cleveland to finally going farther than we ever did before was so amazing!
I would like to see the cleveland game or games, I saw the cleveland minnesota nfc champ game, and cleveland was so bad , I dont see how they beat dallas.
and I think they beat dallas pretty bad. Never seen those or the GB dallas game in Dallas.

About morton, I read he got his elbow hurt mid season, and was never the same after that.
And he wasnt young anymore, and was beat up, but back then QB's played into their 30's.
I remember sonny jurgenson was old and had a pot belly and started for the skins.

Flamma

Reaction score
Never forget folks. It's the water that makes it Olympia.

First time I ever saw a commercial for that beer. Me and my friends used to drink that when we played wiffleball because it was like $2.85 a 12 pack and didn't taste terrible. "It's the Water" was on the can and we used to joke about how they should remove "The".

On Schlitz beer. That beer is downright rancid. All those tap beers were terrible when I was a little kid. Along with Schlitz you had Pabst, Rheingold, Schaefer, and Lite beer from Miller. All putrid swill.

Flamma

Reaction score

Yeah. That was the first year that game was a true NFL Championship game. The league's hadn't merged yet in the 4 prior Super Bowls. So they pitted the champion of each league against eachother. Actually the first two were called AFL VS NFL games. But in actuality they all were until Super Bowl V.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
NFC championship games, Better Than Sex. LOL most of them were better than the Super Bowls

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember that game. Even as a teenager, I was mad at Landry for sticking with Morton. What was even worse was the Superbowl where Morton had a splint on his finger on his passing hand and Landry stuck with Morton. He couldn't pass the ball when he was healthy and here he was starting QB in the Superbowl...with Roger on the bench.
Landry could not stand Staubach deviating from the computer

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I will say this , after seeing this game , I can see where SF fans might dislike the Cowboys, which made the catch win very sweet a few years later.
We actually had a chance to come back and win that game. That's when Tom Landry told Danny White there's not a cool bone in your body

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
it was candlestick?? or something before that? Nfl teams didnt have a lot of money back in that time period.
I think it is hindsight, no one knew rodger would
be good, and back then once you were a starter, coaches would play them no matter what .
Also Landrys plan was to just move the ball by running a lot and using screens and short passes, what we now call dink and dunk.
The dallas defense was so good, the offense didnt have to do much to win usually.
The problem with that plan, is in the playoffs, and they are facing another team with really good defense, then your offense might not put up
enough points to win.
Thats what happened in the SB, the fumble by duane hurt, then the lucky freak td pass by balt, and they lose.
Both teams had a good defense. Even SF defense was good, I think they gave up or tired out in this game.
yeah that was the first year of conferences
Candlestick opened right after this, that may have been the last game at Kesar

Roger78

rmahler
Reaction score
Ok guys or girls why did I think Landry should have put in Roger? Did Morton not start 0 for 100?1 Did you watch the game? We lost V because Morton overthrew Reeves from about 10 yards away and it was intercepted setting up the winning field goal!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apple? Or Droid?

Apple
I have a iMac, iPhone, iPad. And for sound I have Bose. Also Bose quiet comfort headphones and the wireless earbuds. I mean the complete wireless set, not the ones with a wire running between each ear bud.

Dumped Microsoft and their constant updates that get worse each time and virus protection scams a few years back. But had an iPhone since 2008.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Obviously this was way before my time, so you old timers can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Walt Garrison play this game with a broken ankle?