1971 - Today

Apefist

Reaction score
Yeah, years later Landry said "whenever anyone tells me how great a coach I was, I tell them that 1971 might change their minds. They usually say 'but you won the Super Bowl that year.' We went 4-3 before going 7-0. Shuttling Roger and Morton did so much to take both QBs out of their game, we could never get rolling. Once Roger knew he was the starter, it changed everything. He became a different player."

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2419410 said:
Ok I know this is going to upset a few, and others will smile, but I'm simply bringing this up cause it sort of made me smile and made me think about how sometimes history repeats itself.

In 1971 we were the heavy favorite to win the Superbowl, much like we were this year. In that year we had some injuries early, and a QB issue (This being not having legit starter cause Landry was rotating Stauback and Morton), much like we've had this year in a little different form.

At that time the team played 14 game seasons and at the mid point they were 4-3 and they weren't a healthy 4-3. They had the QB controvery, the defense not playing up to it's potential, and what not. Much like we're now 5-4 at just after our midpoint.

The Commanders at that time were running away with the division at 6-1, much like the Giants are running away with the division this year at 8-1.

They had seven games left in the regular season...we've got 7 games left in the regular season.

What did the Cowboys do that year? They never lost again after the midpoint of the season. They got their QB situation fixed (We hope we have now that Romo is back and hopefully won't be hurt again), the defense got their stuff together (we can hope this years version will finally get it together as well), and they went on to win their final 7 regular season games, run through the playoffs, and won the Superbowl that they were favored to win before the start of the season.

Here's to hoping that history in fact does repeat itself and we're able to do the same type of thing this year.

Every week we see posts like this, and every week they should keep getting shot down. This team is nowhere near as talented or as well coached as the 71 Cowboys. OL and defensive front were both eons better than this team's.