1971 - Today

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ok I know this is going to upset a few, and others will smile, but I'm simply bringing this up cause it sort of made me smile and made me think about how sometimes history repeats itself.

In 1971 we were the heavy favorite to win the Superbowl, much like we were this year. In that year we had some injuries early, and a QB issue (This being not having legit starter cause Landry was rotating Stauback and Morton), much like we've had this year in a little different form.

At that time the team played 14 game seasons and at the mid point they were 4-3 and they weren't a healthy 4-3. They had the QB controvery, the defense not playing up to it's potential, and what not. Much like we're now 5-4 at just after our midpoint.

The Commanders at that time were running away with the division at 6-1, much like the Giants are running away with the division this year at 8-1.

They had seven games left in the regular season...we've got 7 games left in the regular season.

What did the Cowboys do that year? They never lost again after the midpoint of the season. They got their QB situation fixed (We hope we have now that Romo is back and hopefully won't be hurt again), the defense got their stuff together (we can hope this years version will finally get it together as well), and they went on to win their final 7 regular season games, run through the playoffs, and won the Superbowl that they were favored to win before the start of the season.

Here's to hoping that history in fact does repeat itself and we're able to do the same type of thing this year.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Did they win three playoff games on the road? Because that's what we're (potentially) staring at if we even get in.

"But the Giants did it!"

What they accomplished is exceedingly rare.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
*Rolls eyes*

Oh good Lord. I wasn't saying this was the exact same thing or that they would do it. Friggen whiners.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BraveHeartFan;2419439 said:
*Rolls eyes*

Oh good Lord. I wasn't saying this was the exact same thing or that they would do it. Friggen whiners.
Don't you know better than to try to inject some positivity around here?:bang2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
*Rolls eyes*

"Here's to hoping that history in fact does repeat itself and we're able to do the same type of thing this year."

Hmmm.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yes I said heres to HOPING it would. At no time in that quoted part, genius, does it say that it would happen.

But nice try in attempting to be clever.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2419449 said:
Yes I said heres to HOPING it would. At no time in that quoted part, genius, does it say that it would happen.

But nice try in attempting to be clever.

I figured that would be your weasily response. No, the qualifier "hoping" doesn't save you. You laid out an historical analogy and we shot it down. Back to the drawing board.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
bbgun;2419456 said:
I figured that would be your weasily response. No, the qualifier "hoping" doesn't save you. You laid out an historical analogy and we shot it down. Back to the drawing board.

Whatever. I didn't put it up for something to say that I think this is going to happen. I certainly hope it will and I just thought it was interesting that we could have a shot to do something very similiar, though obviously not point for point exactly the same.

Sorry I posted ANYTHING that wasn't a rant, We hate Wade, BP is God, why does this defense suck, oh my aching balls of fandom for the Cowboys.

I just thought it was very interesting that situation and this one and how they had some similarities.

Either way I'll stop this before you have any more chances to try and be cute with name calling.

4miler

Reaction score
*Rolls eyes*

Actually 71 was my all time favorite season . Does anybody remember Ike Thomas returning the opening kickoff back for tds in two consecutive games?
2 big wins came in November at Washington and against the Rams on Thanksgiving day. After that the boys outscored every one 183-54.
The defense really did turn into Doomsday by holding the Dolphins to 3 points in the super bowl.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2419465 said:
Sorry I posted ANYTHING that wasn't a rant, We hate Wade, BP is God, why does this defense suck, oh my aching balls of fandom for the Cowboys.

:laugh2:

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2419465 said:
Whatever. I didn't put it up for something to say that I think this is going to happen. I certainly hope it will and I just thought it was interesting that we could have a shot to do something very similiar, though obviously not point for point exactly the same.

I just thought it was very interesting that situation and this one and how they had some similarities.

Either way I'll stop this before you have any more chances to try and be cute with name calling.

As you're reading this I'm probably still LOL!:lmao:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2419421 said:
Did they win three playoff games on the road? Because that's what we're (potentially) staring at if we even get in.

"But the Giants did it!"

Not in today's NFL. Pittsburgh did it in 2005 too.

2005 Super Bowl Champion...Pittsburgh Steelers.
Won @ Cincy in the Wildcards
Won @ Indy in the Divisionals
Won @ Denver in the Conference Championships

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;2419421 said:

"But the Giants did it!"

Well if we finish 12-4, it's a decent bet that we're division champs.

Still laughing at bbguns poor aching balls of fandom!:lmao:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2419502 said:
Not in today's NFL. Pittsburgh did it in 2005 too.

2005 Super Bowl Champion...Pittsburgh Steelers.
Won @ Cincy in the Wildcards
Won @ Indy in the Divisionals
Won @ Denver in the Conference Championships

If the NFL began in 2005, then yes, we'd be looking at a trend. In terms of the overall modern era, it's not a sound route to the Super Bowl.

kmd24

Reaction score
bbgun;2419421 said:

"But the Giants did it!"

It's happened twice in the last three years.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
kmd24;2419628 said:
It's happened twice in the last three years.

The Giants were only the third team to reach the Super Bowl by winning three straight road games. By any definition, that makes their feat rare.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
bbgun;2419635 said:
The Giants were only the third team to reach the Super Bowl by winning three straight road games. By any definition, that makes their feat rare.

I like my feat well done thank you. :cool:

kmd24

Reaction score
bbgun;2419635 said:

The point is, it is difficult to say whether the previous data applies to today's game. It's a different era than it was 15 years ago, and certainly than it was 40 years ago.

If you were conducting Bayesian analysis on the data, such results would cause you to question your assumed prior distribution.