1992 NFC Championship Game - Harpers Catch

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing was about that play. Irvin was supposed to line up on the left. As the play was to be a pass to the right side, maybe a slant. Irvin wanted the ball, as the slant was his usual play. So he ran to the right and told Alvin, to switch sides with him.

Troy said he seen single coverage on Harper, so switched the play to a crossing route. Which was the option depending on how the defense lined up.

Mannix

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, but why are you torturing yourself like this???

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Pay attention to the Oline. This play would never have happened if it weren't for the Oline. Today's Oline stands straight up and immediately starts backpeddaling into our QB, thus making it so much harder on our QBs and not giving them the space and time to make such a pass. Aikman's Oline would fire out (half step forward) and jam/meet the opposing Dline at the line of scrimmage, giving them no ground, thus giving Troy Aikman a nice big pocket with plenty of room and time to find his open WR and hit (pass) him in stride. This is why I have been complaining about our Oline coaches over the past 10 years because they don't teach our Oline to fire out, meet the opponent at the line of scrimmage and not give up any precious ground.

stiletto

Reaction score
That team was clearly cool, calm and collected. Looked like they were lining up in 7 on 7. No problems.. LOL, we may never see that again in our lifetimes, in a moment like that.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Cowboys - 49ers
Madden - Summerall
49ers just scored - Cowboys need to answer.
896 F flat - Aikman to Harper.
Cowboys return to glory.
Try watching this just once!
You better believe I was screaming my butt off.

I want to score! That was when the Dallas Cowboys were the Dallas Cowboys with a real Head Coach.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Pay attention to the Oline. This play would never have happened if it weren't for the Oline. Today's Oline stands straight up and immediately starts backpeddaling into our QB, thus making it so much harder on our QBs and not giving them the space and time to make such a pass. Aikman's Oline would fire out (half step forward) and jam/meet the opposing Dline at the line of scrimmage, giving them no ground, thus giving Troy Aikman a nice big pocket with plenty of room and time to find his open WR and hit (pass) him in stride. This is why I have been complaining about our Oline coaches over the past 10 years because they don't teach our Oline to fire out, meet the opponent at the line of scrimmage and not give up any precious ground.
For this play I am not certain if your interpretation is what happened.

Right off the snap you see veryone on the o-line retreat into passpro. Only Stepnoski didn't retreat because his player is on his knees from what looks like a slip on the Candlestick turf. The pocket collapsed on the sides, but in the center it held because a rush was not sustained up the middle allowing Aikman the opportunity to step up into his throw.

I have been stating that this o-line is a shell of its former self and certainly not of the quality that Dak had his rookie year. The 92 championship team had one of the best o-line units with youth.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Right off the snap you see veryone on the o-line retreat into passpro. Only Stepnoski didn't retreat because his player is on his knees from what looks like a slip on the Candlestick turf. The pocket collapsed on the sides, but in the center it held because a rush was not sustained up the middle allowing Aikman the opportunity to step up into his throw.

I have been stating that this o-line is a shell of its former self and certainly not of the quality that Dak had his rookie year. The 92 championship team had one of the best o-line units with youth.
Of course it wasn't what happened. Plus, Aikman had the ball out of his hands in a second flat so there could be no rush.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Disagree. Watch the play again. Stepnoski and both Guards fire out, balanced and don't give ground, thus able to maintain a wall up front. Of course, our Tackles took a few steps back and sideways in order to protect their flanks from getting beat around the edge, but even they didn't outright start backpaddaling the way today's Tackles do. Today's Oline is definitely not being coached the same form and protection as the 90s Oline.

Cowboy4evr

Reaction score
Cowboys - 49ers
Madden - Summerall
49ers just scored - Cowboys need to answer.
896 F flat - Aikman to Harper.
Cowboys return to glory.
Try watching this just once!
You better believe I was screaming my butt off.

And everybody thought Harper sucked and Irvin was great

Mannix

Reaction score
Trying to remind my son why we are Cowboys fans.

It's getting harder to do every year.
Three (3) things happen to me EVERY time I watch that clip. #1 I tear up. #2 I STILL get nervous when the DB comes up behind Harper thinking he was gonna get stripped of the ball. #3 I get mad as hell at Booger over the futility of the last three (3) decades.....and obviously not letting us see how many in a row Jimmy could have won.