1992 NFC Championship Game - Harpers Catch

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’d put this ahead of the Hail Mary play simply because this helped us to win a SB. We lost the SB in 75.
The Hail Mary will always be the most iconic play to me and many because we scored and won the game in what looked to be an impossible situation. We were behind in freezing conditions, stuck at mid field. The slant to Harper came when we had the lead and it wasn’t scoring play. We still had some work to secure the win. Both were great, unforgettable plays. The Cowboys weren’t predicted to do anything in 1975. They had missed the playoffs the previous season for the first time in many years, and looked to be on the decline. That was the year we drafted the dirty dozen that included Randy White and Thomas Hollywood Henderson.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Put the video on pause and use the slider bar to go between the 13 and 16 second mark slowly you will be able to see the motion of the entire line - it is going backwards because they are going into passpro technique.

No one fires outward like they are in run blocking mode. Everyone goe into passpro. Within two seconds the entire Cowboys line has retreated at least two yards with the right guard having been beaten.

The RG John Gesek is clearly beaten like a used drum by Pierce Holt 78, and if Emmitt doesn't step up to pick him up...well who knows what might have happened. LG Newton retreats at least one step in preparation to take on rush and within two seconds is driven three yards back.

If you watch from the 13-16 second mark on pause while sliding the video bar back and forth you will see that this play was not the best showing of the o-line and if it wasn't for Stepnoski's man falling to his knees Aikman's pocket wouldn't be so great looking.
Did you ever play football? If so, did you ever play on the Oline?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Do we have any more videos from this era? Like of the Roman Colloseum being built, or something similar?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
CeeDee is still missing his WR sidekick.

Roger Staubach had Drew Pearson & Tony Hill.

Troy Aikman had Michael Irvin & Alvin Harper.

Dak has CeeDee. ...... That's it.
They traded his sidekick for a fifth-round pick, tried to replace him with a No. 3 receiver coming off a major injury and then tried to replace him again this year with an aging receiver whose best days are behind him. Came closer the second time.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They traded his sidekick for a fifth-round pick, tried to replace him with a No. 3 receiver coming off a major injury and then tried to replace him again this year with an aging receiver whose best days are behind him. Came closer the second time.
Yep. That move of trading away Amari Cooper for peanuts has come back to hurt our Cowboys the past 2 seasons, especially against tough opponents, including the playoffs. Offensively, Cowboys need to get a legit other WR weapon to team up with CeeDee. That would seriously help this team take the next step in the playoffs.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
The Hail Mary will always be the most iconic play to me and many because we scored and won the game in what looked to be an impossible situation. We were behind in freezing conditions, stuck at mid field. The slant to Harper came when we had the lead and it wasn’t scoring play. We still had some work to secure the win. Both were great, unforgettable plays. The Cowboys weren’t predicted to do anything in 1975. They had missed the playoffs the previous season for the first time in many years, and looked to be on the decline. That was the year we drafted the dirty dozen that included Randy White and Thomas Hollywood Henderson.
I understand what you’re staying and appreciate your reasoning. Like I said earlier, for me it’s this play simply because it led to a SB win. That being said it’s hard to argue against the Hail Mary play for all the reasons you’ve outlined. Just a personal preference is all. Also I remember watching the play to Harper live. I’ve only ever watched highlights of the Hail Mary play. That almost certainly informs my preference.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Cowboys - 49ers
Madden - Summerall
49ers just scored - Cowboys need to answer.
896 F flat - Aikman to Harper.
Cowboys return to glory.
Try watching this just once!
You better believe I was screaming my butt off.

Still chills! And nerves

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Life is made of moments and this was a GREAT one!
Man, I was getting nervous at that point. Fearing a SF comeback.
When that play happened, it was like a huge relief.

Now it makes me want to go back and watch that game. Will put it on my summertime to do list when it gets a 110º hot day outside.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I understand what you’re staying and appreciate your reasoning. Like I said earlier, for me it’s this play simply because it led to a SB win. That being said it’s hard to argue against the Hail Mary play for all the reasons you’ve outlined. Just a personal preference is all. Also I remember watching the play to Harper live. I’ve only ever watched highlights of the Hail Mary play. That almost certainly informs my preference.
I’ve been following the Cowboys since 1972 and watched both plays live. I still get goosebumps watching them. Both plays literally brought me to tears with joy. I was pretty down on the Cowboys prospects heading into the 75 season after going 8-6 the previous season and missing the playoffs. No one thought they would do anything heading into that season. Some had them coming in third in the NFC East. They ended up coming in second and made the playoffs as a wild card. At the time no wild card team had ever reached the SB. The Cowboys were given little chance against the Vikings in the playoffs. Roger Staubach called the Hail Mary the greatest play of his career.

It cemented him as Captain Comeback and from that day on every desperation throw at the end of games was called a Hail Mary. Back in the 70s teams didn’t pull off as many hail mary’s as we see today. With multiple receiver sets and the freaks we have at WR these days it’s increased the odds of pulling the play off. Although the Cowboys lost the SB in 75 they led the Steelers for much of that game until the final minutes.