1992 NFC Championship Game - Harpers Catch

ICP

Reaction score
The good ole days, good thing we still have these videos available

Sjoseph316

Reaction score
Great memories of when the Cowboys were a serious team. My son and I watch old Cowboys games often, there are many of them on YouTube

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Harper was good, he just never got many targets. This very play, the call was to go to Irvin, troy changed it.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Every once in a while I stumble on these videos. I don't know how many times I've watched SB XXVII. Those were the good old days.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Aikman's ability to understand what the defense was doing and react opposite to what he did every time they ran that same play previously, as well as his ability to quickly, accurately and under heavy pressure, fire that ball on a rope to exactly where it needed to be was instrumental in winning that game, and arguably in creating a dynasty.

So yea... get out of here with that "Aikman was a bus driver" crap.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman's ability to understand what the defense was doing and react opposite to what he did every time they ran that same play previously, as well as his ability to quickly, accurately and under heavy pressure, fire that ball on a rope to exactly where it needed to be was instrumental in winning that game, and arguably in creating a dynasty.

People who didn’t actually live through the era have no idea.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Disagree. Watch the play again.
Put the video on pause and use the slider bar to go between the 13 and 16 second mark slowly you will be able to see the motion of the entire line - it is going backwards because they are going into passpro technique.

No one fires outward like they are in run blocking mode. Everyone goe into passpro. Within two seconds the entire Cowboys line has retreated at least two yards with the right guard having been beaten.

The RG John Gesek is clearly beaten like a used drum by Pierce Holt 78, and if Emmitt doesn't step up to pick him up...well who knows what might have happened. LG Newton retreats at least one step in preparation to take on rush and within two seconds is driven three yards back.

If you watch from the 13-16 second mark on pause while sliding the video bar back and forth you will see that this play was not the best showing of the o-line and if it wasn't for Stepnoski's man falling to his knees Aikman's pocket wouldn't be so great looking.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score

Aikman's superpower was he was crazy accurate. At the 16 second mark you see the ball hit Harper right between the numbers.

Harper's left foot is forward so you know he was in stride when the ball arrived. There was a stutter step with the trailing right foot that I suspect was due to the 49er player possibly getting a hold of Harper's foot as he fell down. Can't be certain because the video put in pause mode is so poor in resolution.

But becaseu it was an accurate throw and the safety to that side of the field played really high a tight to the centre Harper was able to gather his feet and carry the momentum that Aikman's throw gave him.

plymkr

Reaction score
Oh, what a feeling!
The young bucks came into the bully's yard and
beat'em. The mental toughness of that team was
off the charts!
Mental toughness and preparation. Aikman sized up the defense, knew what coverage was happening, saw the blitz, and threw an accurate well timed pass to seal it. I still feel this is the best play in Cowboys history, definitely top 5.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That play couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. The 49ers had just scored and had the momentum. I’ll never forget the sick feeling I had in the pit of my stomach before Aikman connected with Harper. That play completely knocked the wind out of the 49ers sail. Arguably the second greatest and most important play in franchise history next to the Hail Mary.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Put the video on pause and use the slider bar to go between the 13 and 16 second mark slowly you will be able to see the motion of the entire line - it is going backwards because they are going into passpro technique.

No one fires outward like they are in run blocking mode. Everyone goe into passpro. Within two seconds the entire Cowboys line has retreated at least two yards with the right guard having been beaten.

The RG John Gesek is clearly beaten like a used drum by Pierce Holt 78, and if Emmitt doesn't step up to pick him up...well who knows what might have happened. LG Newton retreats at least one step in preparation to take on rush and within two seconds is driven three yards back.

If you watch from the 13-16 second mark on pause while sliding the video bar back and forth you will see that this play was not the best showing of the o-line and if it wasn't for Stepnoski's man falling to his knees Aikman's pocket wouldn't be so great looking.
Yeah but remember the time we dumbed down the offense for Aikman?