1995 Regular Season: 49ers at Cowboys

Nav22

Reaction score

I thought about this game after Sunday night.

1995 regular season, 49ers at Cowboys. Week 11.

They had beaten us in the NFCCG the year before to end our 3peat dreams.

Steve Young was out and the game was in Dallas. Should've been an easy "revenge" win for us.

Instead, their backup QB Elvis Grbac torched us and the 49ers stomped us in our house, 38-20. It was 31-7 at halftime and 38-13 before we scored in garbage time (Jason Garrett to Michael Irvin!). Total domination. Aikman did get hurt early and missed the rest of the game, but we were already down 17-0 by then and he had thrown an INT.

Jimmy Johnson was long gone. We were in year 2 with Barry Switzer and he was now 0-3 vs the 49ers. It was a disheartening loss and there was a sense that the 49ers were simply better than us, and that our time was over.

We never saw them again that year. They lost to Green Bay in the divisional round and we beat Green Bay in the NFCCG and won the Super Bowl.

Moral of the story:

The current 49ers absolutely have our number, yes. They absolutely have Dak's number, yes.

But we're not scared of Philly and Dak has played pretty well vs Philly in his career (8-3 record, put 40 points on them last year).

Besides SF, nobody in the NFC should scare you. There are other good teams but none that look unbeatable.

Stick with this thing and let's see what happens.

There's a chance someone else knocks SF out (Philly? Detroit?) and we never even need to see them, just like the 1995 Super Bowl championship team never needed to see them.
:starspin:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
your optimism is admirable but there's a key difference.

that 1995 team was a 2 time recent Super Bowl winner who still had the ingredients of dominance, but just had one team standing in their way (the aforementioned NIners). And we got lucky and GB did our dirty work for us.

this team hasn't even the remotely slightest look of a championship caliber team.
We feast on trash competition, get beaten by mediocre competition (Cards) and get absolutely boat raced by top tier teams like SF

Night and day difference in terms of the circumstances in your scenario.

SF could lose to someone if they had an off day and the other team played their highest level. But if that happened, we are still a world away from being a Super Bowl caliber team.

Rayman70

Reaction score
giphy.gif
San Fran vs the 2023 Dallas Cowboys

Nav22

Reaction score

that 1995 team was a 2 time recent Super Bowl winner who still had the ingredients of dominance, but just had one team standing in their way (the aforementioned NIners). And we got lucky and GB did our dirty work for us.

this team hasn't even the remotely slightest look of a championship caliber team.
We feast on trash competition, get beaten by mediocre competition (Cards) and get absolutely boat raced by top tier teams like SF

SF could lose to someone if they had an off day and the other team played their highest level. But if that happened, we are still a world away from being a Super Bowl caliber team.
"and get absolutely boat raced by top tier teams like SF"

Name another "top tier team" that does that to us.

Don't say "top tier teams like SF" when you know that it's literally JUST SF.

LOL and not only is it "just SF", it's actually just SF in this ONE game. They didn't "boat race" us any other time.

Why lie? Why exaggerate?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nav22

Reaction score
We’ve been reduced to hoping someone can handle our dirty work because we don’t have the balls to stand up to the bully.
The '95 team also had no answer for SF.

Philly wanted no part of the Cowboys last year in the playoffs, not after what we did to their defense on Christmas Eve.

Matchups matter.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
"and get absolutely boat raced by top tier teams like SF"

Name another "top tier team" that does that to us.

Don't say "top tier teams like SF" when you know that it's literally JUST SF.

LOL and not only is it "just SF", it's actually just SF in this ONE game. They didn't "boat race" us any other time.

Why lie? Why exaggerate?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
LoL, Arizona just "boat raced" us. A trash team. This team is a pretender and Dak foremost.

They'll win enough reg season games for you homers finding enough reason to put Dak up with the top of them again. Only to find excuses afterwards when any other post season participant kicks our butt in January.

That's the way it was. That's the way it will be.

And if it doesn't, if they do get further than we all expected, then it'll be despite our offense, not because of it.

With all that being said I really liked this little story you dug up. And I'm saying this without sarcasm, I'd love to see it come true again. Just not happening in the real world.

Nav22

Reaction score
LoL, Arizona just "boat raced" us. A trash team. This team is a pretender and Dak foremost.

They'll win enough reg season games for you homers finding enough reason to put Dak up with the top of them again. Only to find excuses afterwards when any other post season participant kicks our butt in January.

That's the way it was. That's the way it will be.

And if it doesn't, if they do get further than we all expected, then it'll be despite our offense, not because of it.

With all that being said I really liked this little story you dug up. And I'm saying this without sarcasm, I'd love to see it come true again. Just not happening in the real world.
I can't stress this enough:

NOBODY here thinks Dak is elite.

It's literally in your heads.

You just can't comprehend that there's a middle ground between "elite" and "total trash."

And a 28-16 loss isn't "boat raced" and you know it, but nice try anyways.

dckid

Reaction score

Steve Young was out and the game was in Dallas. Should've been an easy "revenge" win for us.

Instead, their backup QB Elvis Grbac torched us and the 49ers stomped us in our house, 38-20. It was 31-7 at halftime and 38-13 before we scored in garbage time (Jason Garrett to Michael Irvin!). Total domination. Aikman did get hurt early and missed the rest of the game, but we were already down 17-0 by then and he had thrown an INT.

Jimmy Johnson was long gone. We were in year 2 with Barry Switzer and he was now 0-3 vs the 49ers. It was a disheartening loss and there was a sense that the 49ers were simply better than us, and that our time was over.

We never saw them again that year. They lost to Green Bay in the divisional round and we beat Green Bay in the NFCCG and won the Super Bowl.

Moral of the story:

The current 49ers absolutely have our number, yes. They absolutely have Dak's number, yes.

But we're not scared of Philly and Dak has played pretty well vs Philly in his career (8-3 record, put 40 points on them last year).

Besides SF, nobody in the NFC should scare you. There are other good teams but none that look unbeatable.

There's a chance someone else knocks SF out (Philly? Detroit?) and we never even need to see them, just like the 1995 Super Bowl championship team never needed to see them.

What is the old saying... What does this have to do with the price of tea in China or Dallas?
1995 was the worst of all three title teams for us. We had Prime time but we were not the same. I am of course glad we won, but we also did not win cleanly agains the Steelers in the SB.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
The problem is this team is mentally weak. This team folds when they get punched in the mouth.

That 95 team was so much better in every phase than this team. It was a battle tested, recent Superbowl champion. They knew what it took to get the job done.

And they didn't have Dak Prescott throwing the ball with McCarthy calling the plays.

This team is AT best the 4th or 5th best team in the nfc. And thats not going to change.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Moral of the story:

Normally I would agree with the Philly comments, but as bad as those 49ers Playoff losses were, last year I felt we were still in it until the end even if it was a longshot. Not a complete butt whipping like this game. So I'm worried what difference will be now with Eagles.

What the hell happened to our defense? Not surprised Dak threw some catch-up turnovers. But was not expecting the defense to roll like that, the Oline to be so average with all the starters back, and seemed like our WRs were covered by glue all game.

Maybe SF is just that good. All this talk about the Cowboys choking and believing the hype... maybe we should give some respect to the Niners. Who knows... maybe they go 17-0.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Christ, do you even know how intense the games between the two teams were and that San Francisco had top end winning season then, for 8 consecutive years?

This board is way too quick to write off real rivalry because they feel insensed not able to idol worship instead.

The owner of San Francisco took about two weeks to step by step explain all factors in the NFL and how those should be handled. Jerry actually learned football and survival in it before he took possession.

Jimmy gave no respect to the team as Jerry was the owner and he went about it himself, to dig up the roots to his boss and his own players. He gave up his family/wife along his process as well. Don't give that an eye if you prefer, but I won't lie about employee ethics myself. Early on he insulted Jerry and the Prince of Saudi Arabia to maintain his own sense of authority and right to control. He was the Head Coach as to legitimized authority.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Normally I would agree with the Philly comments, but as bad as those 49ers Playoff losses were, last year I felt we were still in it until the end even if it was a longshot. Not a complete butt whipping like this game. So I'm worried what difference will be now with Eagles.

What the hell happened to our defense? Not surprised Dak threw some catch-up turnovers. But was not expecting the defense to roll like that, the Oline to be so average with all the starters back, and seemed like our WRs were covered by glue all game.

Maybe SF is just that good. All this talk about the Cowboys choking and believing the hype... maybe we should give some respect to the Niners. Who knows... maybe they go 17-0.
Their type of dominance will wear on that team. Their quarterback will head into injury and failure at some point as well. That's football and as regular as another season to contend with.