1995 Regular Season: 49ers at Cowboys

J_Allen

Reaction score
What is the old saying... What does this have to do with the price of tea in China or Dallas?
1995 was the worst of all three title teams for us. We had Prime time but we were not the same. I am of course glad we won, but we also did not win cleanly agains the Steelers in the SB.
If not for the interceptions by Neil O'Donnell we don't win that game. The Steelers came back and kicked our *** in a second half. We just didn't play with any kind of urgency or enthusiasm. It reminded me of a preseason game. Did not enjoy that Super Bowl. The team was missing so many parts that it's a miracle we even played in the Super bowl.

And we only got there because the Packers beat the 49ers. That 95 team was probably 75% of what the 94 team was, which was about 85% of what the 1993 team was. So we were running on about 60% power compared to when Jimmy was here.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

I thought about this game after Sunday night.

1995 regular season, 49ers at Cowboys. Week 11.

They had beaten us in the NFCCG the year before to end our 3peat dreams.

Steve Young was out and the game was in Dallas. Should've been an easy "revenge" win for us.

Instead, their backup QB Elvis Grbac torched us and the 49ers stomped us in our house, 38-20. It was 31-7 at halftime and 38-13 before we scored in garbage time (Jason Garrett to Michael Irvin!). Total domination. Aikman did get hurt early and missed the rest of the game, but we were already down 17-0 by then and he had thrown an INT.

Jimmy Johnson was long gone. We were in year 2 with Barry Switzer and he was now 0-3 vs the 49ers. It was a disheartening loss and there was a sense that the 49ers were simply better than us, and that our time was over.

We never saw them again that year. They lost to Green Bay in the divisional round and we beat Green Bay in the NFCCG and won the Super Bowl.

Moral of the story:

The current 49ers absolutely have our number, yes. They absolutely have Dak's number, yes.

But we're not scared of Philly and Dak has played pretty well vs Philly in his career (8-3 record, put 40 points on them last year).

Besides SF, nobody in the NFC should scare you. There are other good teams but none that look unbeatable.

Stick with this thing and let's see what happens.

There's a chance someone else knocks SF out (Philly? Detroit?) and we never even need to see them, just like the 1995 Super Bowl championship team never needed to see them.
:starspin:

Give it a rest, the 9ers are far and away better than the Boys. Their QB is centuries better than the scrub that's QBing our team. Their defense is night and day better than our team. Their HC is a million times better than our HC. It's not even a rivalry anymore................ JJ is going to die with 3 SBs that Jimmy Johnson is responsible for winning.......LOL!

J_Allen

Reaction score
Jones owned that team too. He hired Jimmy and he hired Switzer.
:thumbup:
He could have hired someone on the coaching staff already and we're looking at four straight Super Bowls. He hired the worst possible coach he could have and then absolutely blew it in the draft from 1994 on. He's so lucky Larry Allen fell to him in the second round.

Jerry knows how to destroy teams. He doesn't have a clue on how to build them.

Nav22

Reaction score
Give it a rest, the 9ers are far and away better than the Boys. Their QB is centuries better than the scrub that's QBing our team. Their defense is night and day better than our team. Their HC is a million times better than our HC. It's not even a rivalry anymore................ JJ is going to die with 3 SBs that Jimmy Johnson is responsible for winning.......LOL!
You didn't read a word of the OP. Be honest.
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Nav22

Reaction score
He could have hired someone on the coaching staff already and we're looking at four straight super bowls. He hired the worst possible coach he could have and then absolutely blew it in the draft from 1994 on. He's so lucky Larry Allen fell to him in the second round.

Jerry knows how to destroy teams. He doesn't have a clue on how to build them.
Cool story.

1995 Super Bowl champs.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Cool story.

1995 Super Bowl champs.
And nothing since. 1994 should have also been in there but when you have almost zero standards for your football team you're happy with just barely winning one.

mldardy

Reaction score
Purdy's never lost a game he finished.
They have the best defense AND offensive skill position players in the league.

Yeah, I'd like their chances with a healthy team.
Purdy was getting knocked around along with the rest of the Niners in that game. They had no answer for the Eagles dline. Let me say it again for you: They were not better than the Eagles nor Chiefs.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
"and get absolutely boat raced by top tier teams like SF"

Name another "top tier team" that does that to us.

Don't say "top tier teams like SF" when you know that it's literally JUST SF.

LOL and not only is it "just SF", it's actually just SF in this ONE game. They didn't "boat race" us any other time.

Why lie? Why exaggerate?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
My description of this year's cowboys was 100 % accurate

We've played 3 trash teams and best them

One mediocre team and got whipped solidly

And one elite team and got totally obliterated

No lies and no exaggerating

I stand 100% on the factual nature of my post. If factual analysis bothers you that's your issue. Not mine

Nav22

Reaction score
My description of this year's cowboys was 100 % accurate

We've played 3 trash teams and best them

One mediocre team and got whipped solidly

And one elite team and got totally obliterated

No lies and no exaggerating

I stand 100% on the factual nature of my post. If factual analysis bothers you that's your issue. Not mine
You literally said top tier TEAMS (plural) boat race us.

It was literally ONE team, ONE time.

Spin it any way you'd like. You got caught lying.

Nav22

Reaction score
Purdy was getting knocked around along with the rest of the Niners in that game. They had no answer for the Eagles dline. Let me say it again for you: They were not better than the Eagles nor Chiefs.
LOL! Yeah that 1 drive told the whole story!

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Steve Young was out and the game was in Dallas. Should've been an easy "revenge" win for us.

Instead, their backup QB Elvis Grbac torched us and the 49ers stomped us in our house, 38-20. It was 31-7 at halftime and 38-13 before we scored in garbage time (Jason Garrett to Michael Irvin!). Total domination. Aikman did get hurt early and missed the rest of the game, but we were already down 17-0 by then and he had thrown an INT.

Jimmy Johnson was long gone. We were in year 2 with Barry Switzer and he was now 0-3 vs the 49ers. It was a disheartening loss and there was a sense that the 49ers were simply better than us, and that our time was over.

We never saw them again that year. They lost to Green Bay in the divisional round and we beat Green Bay in the NFCCG and won the Super Bowl.

Moral of the story:

The current 49ers absolutely have our number, yes. They absolutely have Dak's number, yes.

But we're not scared of Philly and Dak has played pretty well vs Philly in his career (8-3 record, put 40 points on them last year).

Besides SF, nobody in the NFC should scare you. There are other good teams but none that look unbeatable.

There's a chance someone else knocks SF out (Philly? Detroit?) and we never even need to see them, just like the 1995 Super Bowl championship team never needed to see them.

This team can't spell Super Bowl. Defense soft as pudding. QB1 has the the Romo heimlich gene. No chance ranch.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Christ, do you even know how intense the games between the two teams were and that San Francisco had top end winning season then, for 8 consecutive years?

This board is way too quick to write off real rivalry because they feel insensed not able to idol worship instead.

The owner of San Francisco took about two weeks to step by step explain all factors in the NFL and how those should be handled. Jerry actually learned football and survival in it before he took possession.

Jimmy gave no respect to the team as Jerry was the owner and he went about it himself, to dig up the roots to his boss and his own players. He gave up his family/wife along his process as well. Don't give that an eye if you prefer, but I won't lie about employee ethics myself. Early on he insulted Jerry and the Prince of Saudi Arabia to maintain his own sense of authority and right to control. He was the Head Coach as to legitimized authority.

This reads like an unhinged response to someone else's post

Are you sure you were trying to respond to me?

Nav22

Reaction score
And nothing since. 1994 should have also been in there but when you have almost zero standards for your football team you're happy with just barely winning one.
What kind of person can't find joy with a Super Bowl win?
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Dwight

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be the 95 team. No super bowl teams are stacked like the teams were back in the 80s and 90s.

We weren't beating the 49ers back in 1995. I remember being really happy when the Packers beat them. The Cowboys got lucky. Could they get lucky again? I don't think so. Mainly because Philly isn't the 95 Packers. We're not beating them at their place in the playoffs either.
You missed my point. This team does not have the mental make up to beat a good team. Even if the 49ers don’t make the playoffs the Cowboys will find a way to lose against a good team.

Shane612

Reaction score

Moral of the story:

Comparing the current cowboys to the mid 90 cowboys is ridiculous.
So needy
:laugh:

J_Allen

Reaction score
What kind of person can't find joy with a Super Bowl win?
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
Because I knew what it entailed. The team was on its last legs. Anyone could see that another round of free agent departures was going to finish us off. Jerry winning the Super Bowl in 1995 did a lot more harm to this organization than it helped because it proved to him that he could win it himself.

He was wrong and has been for 28 years. He won with what was left of Jimmy's team after he took a sledgehammer to it. Enjoy your Super Bowl XXX trophy from 1995.

Last edited: