1st down rushing numbers

ChrisL97

Reaction score
Here are the rushing numbers on first down by our running backs

-3, 5, 3, 1, 3, -2, -1, -1, 10, 6, -1, 0

12 rushes for 20 yards. Dak is getting no help. We are immediately behind schedule. Either our Oline is grossly overrated or Pollard aint the guy since the injury.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I don’t think the blocking has been good but it’s plain as day that Pollard is not the guy he was preinjury.

Honestly thought he was coming around but this last game was his worst of the season IMO

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

12 rushes for 20 yards. Dak is getting no help. We are immediately behind schedule. Either our Oline is grossly overrated or Pollard aint the guy since the injury.
Bad coaching. Bad scheme. Emmitt Smith would struggle behind this line. Getting hit at or behind the LOS gives your RB no chance.

It's been like this all season. The frustrating part is MM keeps calling for Pollard up the middle on 1st down all game long.

:facepalm:

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
There have been injuries up and down the OL for years, seemingly with “hope” being the plan going into every season.

I don’t think it matters what plan you have in place when multiple players on the OL can’t bend and flex enough to maintain leverage.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It's a playcalling and run-blocking issue, Pollard is not the issue. If they open some crevices for him, he'd slide through them.

McCarthy needs to stop running on 1st down, instead use play action...and the short passing game (and how about some screens, jet sweeps and such?).

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Other than SF, which teams are running well this year?

Seems to me like running is down league-wide. It is becoming a passing league.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm going the Deon route and saying, "Both." Pollard isn't running with the same energy he had before the injury. The line isn't run blocking nearly as well, either. I personally think that's more about Steele's regression than it is other injuries or scheme.

The only solution is to mix in enough other first down plays to give the running game a chance when they do get it. A few designed roll-outs. A few more play-action passes or quick passes to the flat. Something that gives the defense a half seconds hesitation.

1942willys

Reaction score
I'm going the Deon route and saying, "Both." Pollard isn't running with the same energy he had before the injury. The line isn't run blocking nearly as well, either. I personally think that's more about Steele's regression than it is other injuries or scheme.

The only solution is to mix in enough other first down plays to give the running game a chance when they do get it. A few designed roll-outs. A few more play-action passes or quick passes to the flat. Something that gives the defense a half seconds hesitation.
EXACTLY. This is not the 92 team that could be predictable and get it done. They came right at you and challenged you to stop them. No one has that kind of talent anymore. You have to keep the defense off balance with being truly unpredictable as you can be

CCBoy

Reaction score
EXACTLY. This is not the 92 team that could be predictable and get it done. They came right at you and challenged you to stop them. No one has that kind of talent anymore. You have to keep the defense off balance with being truly unpredictable as you can be
Uh, it's not supposed to be in a passing NFL with sustainment crisis occuring every 3 to 4 years. What just happened at KC and with Buffalo? Now, Philadelphia as well?

Three consecutive 12 seasons is very relevant for here and now.

Carry over bias against owner/GM, coach, and QB is little more right now, than prejudice...not a snapshot on team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bad coaching. Bad scheme. Emmitt Smith would struggle behind this line. Getting hit at or behind the LOS gives your RB no chance.

It's been like this all season. The frustrating part is MM keeps calling for Pollard up the middle on 1st down all game long.

:facepalm:
Early game failures yet derail the offense any way? Nope. Mistakes change the momentum...not style.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
I don’t think the blocking has been good but it’s plain as day that Pollard is not the guy he was preinjury.

Honestly thought he was coming around but this last game was his worst of the season IMO
Most of the run plays are blown up before they can even get started. This is a tall order for any running back.
Good running games require good play design, good situational play call, surprise and execution, not miracle work from the back.
A great back can make a good run game great, but even a great back will struggle to make a poor run game good.
Pollard ain't great but my gosh, he doesn't have a prayer on most plays.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
That RB dive play out of the shotgun where linemen pull and leave weakside defenders unblocked hasn't worked all year. Its a bad play design but to keep calling it over and over is just nuts. You have to be somewhat delusional to see a play not work hundreds of times and think "yeah, this time. This is when it finally comes together!"

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That RB dive play out of the shotgun where linemen pull and leave weakside defenders unblocked hasn't worked all year. Its a bad play design but to keep calling it over and over is just nuts. You have to be somewhat delusional to see a play not work hundreds of times and think "yeah, this time. This is when it finally comes together!"
I bet if another team ran it on us right now, the RB easily goes untouched for the first 6 yards!!!!!!!!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Pick up that running back whom the Jets just released? What's his name?