1st down rushing numbers

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Here are the rushing numbers on first down by our running backs

-3, 5, 3, 1, 3, -2, -1, -1, 10, 6, -1, 0

12 rushes for 20 yards. Dak is getting no help. We are immediately behind schedule. Either our Oline is grossly overrated or Pollard aint the guy since the injury.
that sucks. really bad

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
That RB dive play out of the shotgun where linemen pull and leave weakside defenders unblocked hasn't worked all year. Its a bad play design but to keep calling it over and over is just nuts. You have to be somewhat delusional to see a play not work hundreds of times and think "yeah, this time. This is when it finally comes together!"
LMAO so true

And every time they run it, I think the same thing...

:facepalm:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Detroit, Miami, Buffalo recently, the Ravens.
Playoff teams are running the ball.
And the Cowboys can run the ball, with more creativity, and on 2nd down after a positive gain on 1st down.

I don't advocate completely abandoning the run, but I don't think the Cowboys should enter into any more games this season with the idea that "Pollard needs to get his touches". If they happen, great. But if the other defense can't stop the Cowboys' passing attack and CD is going crazy out there, F' Pollard and the running game. F' the balanced attack. Dak and the passing game should carry the Cowboys until they're up like 3 scores (17+ points), THEN run the ball on 1st down.

Until then, use Pollard to help chip and pass block, and sometimes flank him out as a receiver or throw to him out of the backfield on an arrow route if the matchup presents itself. Pollard should be more of a threat in the passing game, McCarthy is not using all of his attributes. And sometimes I see Pollard leak out into the flats, nonchalantly at that, and he doesn't even CHIP the DE on the way out. Come on, man!!!!!!!!!!

So I need McCarthy and Dak to come out doing what the Cowboys do best, and that's passing the ball, and use play action, every 1st down...until the other team has a light box (which is almost never against the Cowboys on 1st down).

But the Cowboys should stop wasting deep bomb throws early, unless the receiver is wide open. Dak misses on most of them, so instead, early in the game, keep the chains movings, get 1st downs, score some points...to give the defense a lead. THAT's most important. Not Pollard getting touches. And not having the safeties back off by throwing Cooks a deep ball on 2nd down.

1942willys

Reaction score
Uh, it's not supposed to be in a passing NFL with sustainment crisis occuring every 3 to 4 years. What just happened at KC and with Buffalo? Now, Philadelphia as well?

Three consecutive 12 seasons is very relevant for here and now.

Carry over bias against owner/GM, coach, and QB is little more right now, than prejudice...not a snapshot on team.
all this chest thumping about 12 win seasons is so stupid

Look at the Bengals all those years under Lewis where they won lots of games and never did anything in the playoffs
No difference here yet you seem to think it means everything

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Most of the run plays are blown up before they can even get started. This is a tall order for any running back.
Good running games require good play design, good situational play call, surprise and execution, not miracle work from the back.
A great back can make a good run game great, but even a great back will struggle to make a poor run game good.
Pollard ain't great but my gosh, he doesn't have a prayer on most plays.
I’m not disagreeing, the run blocking is atrocious. But I also cant recall one big play by Pollard coming out the backfield all year.

I saw a play in the Cards/Birds game where the entire Cardinals oline got put on their behinds. Connor was patient, found a crease somewhere, and got 10+ out of it.

lkelly

Reaction score

Look at the Bengals all those years under Lewis where they won lots of games and never did anything in the playoffs
To be transparent, Marvin Lewis had one 12 win season his entire career. It happened in 2015, the year that starter Andy Dalton was lost for the year in week 14. They were forced to go the rest of the way, including the rematch with the Steelers in the playoffs, with A.J. McCarron. The previous year they lost to a decent Colts team at Indy when Luck was coming off a 40 TD season. Lewis had Andy Dalton as his go to QB. I'm pretty sure if you gave him Joe Burrow, he might have found some real playoff success.

I'm not crowning Mike McCarthy in any way, but he has had a respectable 3 year run with this team. If he loses to Washington on Sunday that would be an enormous setback. If he loses to the Rams, Packers or Seattle in the first round, that's another major ding. I think "chest thumping" is probably overstating things. Maybe there are some tortured fans that live in a house with Eagles or Niners fans that have to have something to latch onto. Pity might be the best way to deal with those individuals.

CCBoy

Reaction score

No, you have complained for an entire season now. You aren't fearful as a member of a moped biker gang...get lost now.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
IF I remember correctly MM called running plays every single first down until late in the 4th. Talk about predictable; truly idiotic.
The opposite is closer to true.

Four of the first 5 were passes. And I think 8 of 12 total in the first half.

The 3rd started with 4 in a row that were runs, then it was about even from therr.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
if the defense knows whats coming and when , they have a big edge.
try some surprise and innovation every now and then?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This is a playcalling issue.

Look at the play at 1:12 - and a few others. No way you should be running here. You are in a negative front.

This organization's insistence on running the ball is a death sentence, especially against teams like DET who gear up to stop the run.

The run game is only a problem because they refuse to abandon it and, more to the point, they refuse to run when they have a numbers advantage.

ChrisL97

Reaction score
This is a playcalling issue.

Look at the play at 1:12 - and a few others. No way you should be running here. You are in a negative front.

This organization's insistence on running the ball is a death sentence, especially against teams like DET who gear up to stop the run.

The run game is only a problem because they refuse to abandon it and, more to the point, they refuse to run when they have a numbers advantage.

I grew up in MN and in 2006, the Vikings had the number 1 rushing defense in the league. New England came in and threw like 30 passes in a row. They didn't run the ball until the game was out of hand in the second half. That's what you call a balanced offense. The ability to exploit your weakness and beat you more than one way.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I grew up in MN and in 2006, the Vikings had the number 1 rushing defense in the league. New England came in and threw like 30 passes in a row. They didn't run the ball until the game was out of hand in the second half. That's what you call a balanced offense. The ability to exploit your weakness and beat you more than one way.
We saw the Chiefs do the same thing to the Titans in the playoffs and score like 5 straight TDs.

Running the ball just simply isn't a pre-req for throwing the ball or having a prolific offense.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

12 rushes for 20 yards. Dak is getting no help. We are immediately behind schedule. Either our Oline is grossly overrated or Pollard aint the guy since the injury.
Here is the result of a sorry xxx line not doing their jobs and a oline coach who seems inept just like the last one was. Fix this line and our backs will flourish.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Problem with us we have success then go away from what was working same with a player who is hot. Just don't get it.

starfan1

Reaction score

both but mostly the line

shabazz

Reaction score
Those numbers don't give us encouragement, regardless of who is to blame