Drafted by Cowboys 1st Round - Pick 26 - DT Mazi Smith - (Michigan)

T-RO

Reaction score
I think this move is finally signifying that the FO is finally starting to 'get it' and drafting football players with a theme.
Based on 'WAR' Dallas has been a top 3 drafting team over the last 6 years.

Whatever new revelations, themes or dance steps you want to imagine...are in your mind.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don’t watch college, but first thing I noticed from the tape is he’s huge, but in a tall way, but doesn’t get good leverage, maybe because of his height.

When you normally think big NT, you don’t think tall, you think low center of gravity and round.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t watch college, but first thing I noticed from the tape is he’s huge, but in a tall way, but doesn’t get good leverage, maybe because of his height.

When you normally think big NT, you don’t think tall, you think low center of gravity and round.
I agree with that. I’m just happy. We finally have the big ugly. but if he’s strong, I don’t care about tall. Maybe he can take a pass or two down. On the quarterback, looks over the middle, they might think twice about releasing it

khiladi

Reaction score
I agree with that. I’m just happy. We finally have the big ugly.
But in space, with his length he looks good. So I’m not really sure about him pushing a pocket to force a QB out, but he seems to tackle cleanly while shedding blocks and chasing laterally.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Strongly disagree. Who are our current rivals/threats in the NFC? Philly and San Fran.. what do they do against us? Run the ball well.

Further, Maxi clogging lanes, not allowing the QBs to step up in the pocket, will allow for more "big play players" to make more plays on the ball.

Essentially, he'll keep Parsons clean while he attacks the QB, and his skillset is shutting down the run.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Stopping the run doesnt matter?

Dan Quinn and Micha Parsons seem to think otherwise since they were texting each other all afternoon about drafting this guy.

They seem to think stopping the run is kinda important.;)

Not only that, but that's been our biggest weakness on defence for the last 10-15 years, including last year after Hankins went down. The Eagles shredded us on the ground. So did the 49ers. So did Washington in the last game. When we were on defence on 3rd and 5+, we were virtually unbreakable. 3rd and short, and a run play could get the first against us. Now, that won't be so easy. Especially since we now have 2 NTs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You keep showing everyone how wrong you are in your football assessment. Sad.
It’s just a philosophical thing.

Taking a 1 tech with our first pick I do not like unless he can hit the QB.

I don’t see this guy as someone that makes an impact on the outcome of games.

For what he will bring I don’t like it with our first pick.

He looks talented but its meh.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
Not a flashy pick but neither was Tyler Smith. It definitely fills a need as we have been beaten by the run. Nolan Smith would have been interesting but hopefully Clark will step up and have some gains this year. Micah is ecstatic and i love that. This defense is looking like it's on the verge of becoming something special....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's what so so many Cowboys fans miss....it's not all about following the ball, it's the facilitators (like Mazi) that creates:
1) longer 3rd downs
2) Greater chance for the no.1 ranked pass rush to do their thing.
3) Even if he's on the field on 3rd downs, we now have the option to scheme pass rush from MLB (maybe Micah....or Wilson), straight down the middle with Mazi creating the lane.
4) We face two of the top 5 running teams in our division.
5) Look how much better LVE looked when we fielded Hankins....if he's clean from blockers his game's elevated.

Its more than the player, it's how we've improved one of the TWO big organizational weakness......and there was nobody available that moved the Offensive needle.

Not only that, but Mazi Smith should be able to help us get more shorter fields between fumbles caused by the QB not being able to step up, and interceptions from our DBs as the QB gets harassed by Micah Parsons, who's pass rush lane was set up by Mazi Smith.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I’ll be surprised if he’s on the field on 3rd down.
I could see it because we now have 2 NTs. It's important to have a rotation at that spot. That way, we can have a NT on the field on 3rd down. Especially when you have a mobile QB like Hurts in the division, it's smart to have someone on 3rd down who can clog the middle, preventing Hurts from having a lane up.the middle. Makes Parsons' job much easier.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
A muck it up interior defender is usually not a sexy pick but they really needed a talent infusion there. I preferred trading down and getting Ika or Benton. They didn’t but at least they addressed one of the glaring needs. Onto G, RB and TE.

And we FINALLY did it round 1. That's a COMPLETE change (in the right way) from what the FO normally does.