2 More Enter Supp. Draft

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Texas defensive tackle Marco Martin and North Carolina State all-purpose running back Richard Washington have gained entry to the NFL's supplemental draft on July 13, according to officials at the league office.

Martin and Washington join a talent pool that features Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, Iowa State defensive end/linebacker Jason Berryman and Texas fullback Ahmard Hall.

Once as highly recruited as any defensive lineman on Texas' roster, Martin faded into the background the past few years after failing to break into the Longhorns' defensive tackle rotation. Martin had previously run the 40-yard dash in the 5.20-second range, but the Mesquite (Texas) High School product has produced estimated 40 times at or below five seconds as recently as 2002 and 2003. The 6-foot-3 Martin has had some weight issues, tipping the scales between 335 and 355 pounds.

Washington is a speedy but slightly built all-purpose threat who spent his Wolfpack career producing good numbers at wide receiver. Ineligible his freshman season, Washington caught 44 passes for 500 yards and six touchdowns in 2003 despite being suspended two games for team rules violations and sitting out one game due to bruised ribs. As a junior in 2004, he missed three games because of a knee injury but still had 29 receptions for 348 yards and two touchdowns.

The 5-11, 180-pound Washington – who was timed between 4.41 and 4.45 seconds in the 40 coming out of high school – was dismissed from N.C. State's program in February of 2005.

Of all the supplemental draft prospects, Brooks appears to have drawn the most interest, specifically from the Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers. Insiders have consistently stated that, while Brooks has "Day 1" type talent, he will likely not require more than a fourth-round supplemental pick to obtain his rights.

Berryman, who is seen as a situational pass rusher, and Hall, a former Marine who opened scouts' eyes with an impressive all-around workout in late March (including 40 times in the 4.5 range at nearly 235 pounds), could get a late-round call. The two will, at the very least, be signed as free agents after the draft. Both the Green Bay Packers and Tennessee Titans have spent quality time evaluating Hall's talents, while 10 to 12 teams were represented at Berryman's pro-day workout.

The supplemental draft will be held next Thursday morning via league-wide conference call with all 32 franchises. If a team makes a pick, it will forfeit its rights to use that very same selection in the 2007 NFL draft.

MORE SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT

Former Northern Illinois linebacker Javan Lee, who recently lost his bid for a medical hardship year after missing last season due to injury, has decided to review potential transfer points at the NAIA level rather than turn pro. It is likely he would have been declared a free agent since he is five years removed from his high school graduation.

Ex-Minnesota running back Gary Russell will attempt to transfer to a lower level of football in order to play his junior season, according to a source familiar with his current situation. Since Russell is technically not three full years removed from his high school graduation, he would not have been eligible for the supplemental draft. His odds of finding a transfer school seem limited since NCAA guidelines state that a student/athlete must be in good academic standing at his/her previous program to be eligible to play at another school. Russell's most likely option will be to sit out the 2006 season and either work toward regaining his academic standing or work out for the 2007 NFL draft.

Updated on Friday, Jul 7, 2006 8:02 pm

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Forgive me, but can someone give me the particulars of the supplemental draft, as in the order of selections and total number of picks? I have only ever paid attention to Dallas in the supplemental and dont really know the intrcacies of it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Two more players that can enter the draft but won't get picked.

I still recall many believing Roscoe Crosby was going to get drafted and he was certainly more intriguing than either of these players.

ghst187

Reaction score
I remember a ton of people saying that we should draft RB Tony Hollings from Ga Tch in the supplemental draft a few seasons back.
I think I just saw that he recently got released.

Alexander

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I remember a ton of people saying that we should draft RB Tony Hollings from Ga Tch in the supplemental draft a few seasons back.

Dallas played Houston like a fiddle to get them to use a draft choice for him.

That's what much of this posturing is about right now. It's not that much different from the regular draft as you often feign interest to get teams to use choices, which just makes your position better.

That's why all of this talk about Brooks fetching a second round choice is probably talk with no substance.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
Forgive me, but can someone give me the particulars of the supplemental draft, as in the order of selections and total number of picks? I have only ever paid attention to Dallas in the supplemental and dont really know the intrcacies of it.
Old Gil Brandt NFL.com article --> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

burmafrd

Reaction score
So insiders are saying a 4th will get Brooks. Better not tell silver- he will have a stroke!!!

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
ghst187 said:

me 2:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ghst187 said:

I think we would have - in the 4th or 5th -- but the Texans got scared and used 2nd on him.

49 attempts for 149 yards and 0 TDs.

Nice.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The Cowboys did bid a (4th or 5th- can't remember which) for Tony Hollings, the Texans overbid for him because of the Cowboys and because they had tons of picks.(They blew most of them)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
The Cowboys did bid a (4th or 5th- can't remember which) for Tony Hollings, the Texans overbid for him because of the Cowboys and because they had tons of picks.(They blew most of them)

It would have been a great pickup for that. Of course it didn't work out but most of us fans would have been very happy if we got Hollings at that point for so little

burmafrd

Reaction score
Just how many supp picks have ever amounted to much? Anyone have any data?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Dallas played Houston like a fiddle to get them to use a draft choice for him.

That's what much of this posturing is about right now. It's not that much different from the regular draft as you often feign interest to get teams to use choices, which just makes your position better.

That's why all of this talk about Brooks fetching a second round choice is probably talk with no substance.

exactly, but don't tell Silverbear that :lmao2:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
So insiders are saying a 4th will get Brooks. Better not tell silver- he will have a stroke!!!

Right on cue, burma sees Brooks' name, and his eyes glaze, he starts drooling uncontrollably...

Why would I have a stroke, when I have consistently said that I wouldn't want the Boys to go higher than a 4th?? I have also reported that some of those experts have said he could go as high as the second round, but I was just reporting what I read, not expressing an opinion...

To me, it would be good news if Brooks did slide down that far, it would make the possibility that the Boys could claim him a bit higher... so I'd be shickled titless if he fell to the fourth, and the Boys were the ones that claimed him...

I guess you didn't notice that part about the Boys being one of four teams most likely to select him... I figured THAT would give YOU a stroke, LOL...

Yes, dippy, I'll be one happy Bear if Ahmad slides to the 4th, and the Boys wind up with him... don't have the first clue why you think that would upset me...

Alexander

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Right on cue, burma sees Brooks' name, and his eyes glaze, he starts drooling uncontrollably...

Why would I have a stroke, when I have consistently said that I wouldn't want the Boys to go higher than a 4th?? I have also reported that some of those experts have said he could go as high as the second round, but I was just reporting what I read, not expressing an opinion...

To me, it would be good news if Brooks did slide down that far, it would make the possibility that the Boys could claim him a bit higher... so I'd be shickled titless if he fell to the fourth, and the Boys were the ones that claimed him...

I guess you didn't notice that part about the Boys being one of four teams most likely to select him... I figured THAT would give YOU a stroke, LOL...

Yes, dippy, I'll be one happy Bear if Ahmad slides to the 4th, and the Boys wind up with him... don't have the first clue why you think that would upset me...

A fourth round choice is a fair gamble, especially for a player who has been elite at one point.

Figure that with the idea that we know for a fact what Brooks is all about from Groh, I don't see the harm.

silverbear

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
exactly, but don't tell Silverbear that :lmao2:

Uhhhh, when did I say it was anything BUT talk??

Then again, so are the projections of a 4th round pick in THIS article... seems some folks like to pick and choose which "talk" they find credible... LOL...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Uhhhh, when did I say it was anything BUT talk??

it was a joke seymour, and on the same token that burmafrd's eyes light up when the name of Brooks is mentioned, you get an angry scowl on your face lol

silverbear said:
Then again, so are the projections of a 4th round pick in THIS article... seems some folks like to pick and choose which "talk" they find credible... LOL...

true, it's all just talk at this point, but feigning interest to drive the price up for a player is not that uncommon, esp. in the supplemental draft

silverbear

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
it was a joke seymour, and on the same token that burmafrd's eyes light up when the name of Brooks is mentioned, you get an angry scowl on your face lol

true, it's all just talk at this point, but feigning interest to drive the price up for a player is not that uncommon, esp. in the supplemental draft

This is true, of course... just like right before the regular draft, there's gonna be a lot of smoke blown...

The thing is, often that smoke DOES cause some team to panic, and spend too high a pick on a player they covet...

Yeah, it's gonna be intriguing to see where he finally does go... he is one of the more highly regarded, hotly discussed players to hit the supp draft in a while...

Byt y'know, there are a coupla other intriguing prospects in there, too-- somebody's likely to take a flyer on Hall, the FB from Texas, and my interest is piqued by what I've read about Berryman...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
This is true, of course... just like right before the regular draft, there's gonna be a lot of smoke blown...

The thing is, often that smoke DOES cause some team to panic, and spend too high a pick on a player they covet...

Yeah, it's gonna be intriguing to see where he finally does go... he is one of the more highly regarded, hotly discussed players to hit the supp draft in a while...

I've been thinking Oakland for the longest time, afterall, this is a team that spent a high 2nd on Stephen Routt :lmao: Al loves athletes

silverbear said:
Byt y'know, there are a coupla other intriguing prospects in there, too-- somebody's likely to take a flyer on Hall, the FB from Texas, and my interest is piqued by what I've read about Berryman...

I'm liking that LB from Kansas, Kansas State, whatever, hope Dallas takes a flyer on him