2 More Enter Supp. Draft

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I've been thinking Oakland for the longest time, afterall, this is a team that spent a high 2nd on Stephen Routt :lmao: Al loves athletes

I'm liking that LB from Kansas, Kansas State, whatever, hope Dallas takes a flyer on him

You're talking about David Dixon, but he never actually got to Kansas State... he last played for Hutchinson Community College (and really, isn't the name "Hutchinson" enough to put you off, all by itself??)... when I first read about him, I was quite interested too, as he was supposedly 245 pounds, and ran the 40 in under 4.45 seconds...

Then came his private workout, where he actually tipped the scales at 235, and ran two 40s between 4.75 and 4.9 seconds... unless somebody can tell me that there was a good reason for him running so much slower than he supposedly could (for example, if he was injured when he worked out), I'm not interested any more...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there have been any all pros ever picked in the Supp draft?

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Does anyone know if there have been any all pros ever picked in the Supp draft?
I believe that Bernie Kosar was a supplemental pick. WR Cris Carter too.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Does anybody know much about Marco Martin?

Any opinions on whether he'd be worth signing as a free agent? NT is a position of concern.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Supplemental Draft Picks

Name Year Rnd Team Pos College
Al Hunter 1977 4 Seahawks RB Notre Dame
Johnnie Dirden 1978 10 Oilers WR Sam Houston State
Rod Connors 1978 12 49ers RB Southern California
Rod Stewart 1979 6 Bills RB Kentucky
Matthew Teague 1980 7 Falcons DE Prairie View A&M
Billy Mullins 1980 9 Chargers WR USC
Dave Wilson 1981 1 Saints QB Illinois
Chy Davidson 1981 11 Patriots WR Rhode Island
Kevin Robinson 1982 9 Lions DB North Carolina A&T
Bernie Kosar 1985 1 Browns QB Miami (FL)
Roosevelt Snipes 1985 8 49ers RB Florida State
Charles Crawford 1986 7 Eagles RB Oklahoma State
Brian Bosworth 1987 1 Seahawks LB Oklahoma
Cris Carter 1987 4 Eagles WR Ohio State
Dan Sileo 1987 3 Buccaneers DT Miami (FL)
Ryan Bethea 1988 5 Vikings WR South Carolina
Steve Walsh 1989 1 Cowboys QB Miami (FL)
Timm Rosenbach 1989 1 Cardinals QB Washington State
Bobby Humphrey 1989 1 Broncos RB Alabama
Mike Lowman 1989 12 Cowboys RB Coffeyville JC
Brett Young 1989 8 Bills DB Oregon
Rob Moore 1990 1 Jets WR Syracuse
Willie Williams 1990 9 Cardinals TE Louisiana State
Dave Brown 1992 1 Giants QB Duke
Darren Mickell 1992 2 Chiefs DE Florida
Tito Wooten 1994 4 Giants DB Louisiana-Monroe
John Davis 1994 5 Cowboys TE Emporia State
Darren Benson 1995 3 Cowboys DT Arkansas State
Mike Wahle 1998 2 Packers T Navy
Jamal Williams 1998 2 Chargers DT Oklahoma State
J'Juan Cherry 1999 4 Patriots DB Arizona State
Milford Brown 2002 6 Texans OL Florida State
Tony Hollings 2003 2 Texans RB Georgia Tech
Manuel Wright 2005 5 Dolphins DT USC

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Not exactly a distinguished group overall.

You could randomly select from the regular draft pool a group that included that same amount of #1's, #2's etc. and you'd likely not see much quality difference between that group and the supplemental group.

Two names from current rosters that jump out at me are Wahle and Jamal Williams. Both were had for a 2nd -- and both have far outplayed that value.

Potentially, the supplemental draft can lead teams to reach -- but since there is a blind bidding process (you don't know what other teams are bidding), that produces less reaching.

The only glaringly bad pick I see over the past 10 years was Hollings. The other first day picks turned out great -- and some of the 2nd day picks have been able to at least keep themselves in the league for a few years.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Then came his private workout, where he actually tipped the scales at 235, and ran two 40s between 4.75 and 4.9 seconds... unless somebody can tell me that there was a good reason for him running so much slower than he supposedly could (for example, if he was injured when he worked out), I'm not interested any more...

yikes

silverbear

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
Does anybody know much about Marco Martin?

Any opinions on whether he'd be worth signing as a free agent? NT is a position of concern.

I'm a Horns fan, I wouldn't waste one on him... he came to UT at right around 300 pounds, now weighs 355... he has Big Mike Williams disease...

silverbear

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

Indeed... this is the kind of thing that will make scouts take the numbers that Hutchinson Community College provides them with a rather large grain of salt...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Indeed... this is the kind of thing that will make scouts take the numbers that Hutchinson Community College provides them with a rather large grain of salt...

I think they do that for all colleges, D1, D2, D3

remember VTech saying DeAngelo ran a 4.19?!! lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear said:
Interesting choice of words SB. You do know that Hutchinson is well known for their salt mines don't you?

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Alexander said:

There is something very fundamentally bizarre about a guy who prefers tarring roofs to a Switzer-run training camp (Benson). He seemed like a solid gamble at the time, and he showed a very brief spark or two, but was ultimately out of football for good after 2 attempts in 2 seasons, IIRC.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
This might be a completely stupid question, and a completely stupid question that only AdamJT13 may be able to answer at that, but are trades that utilize picks in the conventional draft for the following year for the purpose of moving up in the supplemental for this year allowed within the supplemental draft itself?

Say that in this year's lottery the 4th round begins, and suddenly you've got a team near the middle of the round who wants Brooks badly but just as in the conventional draft, they fear that a team ahead of them in the order is ready to pounce on him in that round. Can say a 3rd round choice in next year's conventional draft be traded by that club that's feigning for Brooks to another club in order to move up the order in that round? That obviously means two lost picks in the following year's conventional draft for that particular team, but if they want the player badly enough I guess they'd do it.

Taking that scenario one step further, I wonder if it's possible to trade a current player on your roster in order to move up in the supplemental. Totally obscure and insignificant inquiries, but it's all covered by the "Dead Period Before Camp" excuse. :p:

silverbear

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I think they do that for all colleges, D1, D2, D3

remember VTech saying DeAngelo ran a 4.19?!! lol

Some schools are worse about that than others... and in the case of 40 times, sometimes the culprit is an ultrafast track...

Of course, schools ***** the numbers on their players in the hopes of drawing attention by pro scouts, but if they're too blatant about doing that kind of thing, there's a backlash effect, wherein scouts just chuckle about the numbers they offer...

silverbear

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Interesting choice of words SB. You do know that Hutchinson is well known for their salt mines don't you?

Actually, no, I didn't... that's a surprise, the Hutch we had in here didn't prove to be too salty... LOL...

burmafrd

Reaction score
As I recall, isn't the Supp draft a closed draft where teams hand in sealed picks and the team that uses the highest one on each player wins? No one knows who got who untill its all over?