2 rookies to watch in camp

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's a lot of excitement with this year's rookies, several of whom are already penciled-in as starters or significant contributors.

The one that I have my eye on is Justin Rogers, perhaps because we really need a step-wise change in the interior DL. He's not much as an athlete, but he is the very definition of a nose tackle.

Here's to a 7th round diamond in the rough.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not interested in WR and RB. I know we already have enough talent in those areas to have success. But that's not likely if the battle in the trenches isn't won. So the areas I'm more interested in watching at training camp is the linemen on both sides of the ball. We have rookies there too that I'm interested in seeing. A superior O-line can greatly help the RBs and give the QB time to hit his WRs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Have heard alot of good things about WR Ryan Flournoy and let’s face it after the top 3 on the depth chart the WR depth positions are wide open and hopefully a Flournoy makes the most of it and is dressed game one catching passes in Sept .

At RB a Nathaniel Peat who carved out a nice college career and also a ST player can certainly make some noise in camp and contribute on ST but let’s face it the RB jobs are there for the taking . Can’t wait for camp to start .
I'd say after the top two. Tolbert hasn't proven anything yet.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hope Kneeland proves his draft status. The defense in general, is going to be interesting to watch as it will be totally different. Usually in preseason games you only get basic vanilla looks but with Zimmer’s defense we haven’t even seen what that is. And I really hope one of these RB’s show up. Won’t be long now.
Hope Kneeland at least proves to be a better base end than Armstrong, who isn't a bad player but isn't so good that it's impossible. That would allow us on early downs to play Kneeland at right end and keep Parsons at linebacker until passing downs. I just don't see Sam being the base end. I think he'll get more pass rushing opportunities but I'm not sure he's disciplined enough against the run.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Hope Kneeland at least proves to be a better base end than Armstrong, who isn't a bad player but isn't so good that it's impossible. That would allow us on early downs to play Kneeland at right end and keep Parsons at linebacker until passing downs. I just don't see Sam being the base end. I think he'll get more pass rushing opportunities but I'm not sure he's disciplined enough against the run.
For sure. All of our DEs under Quinn sucked at run defense, except for the incomparable DLaw. Not much size and not much discipline. They just wanted to get upfield.

Kneeland's a butt kicker. He's got the toughness and the physical skillset to become a real impact player against the run, and I think he just needs game reps to learn to diagnose.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If only Jerry doesnt allot playing time based on the contract,we can see these potential .
If a player has a big contract, they’re usually the best player you have at that position. If it was up to some fans on this board, they would dump all the big contracts and play young players regardless if they’re ready and deserve to be out there. Some fans want the Cowboys to lose every week. Apparently that’s a fun season for them. They don’t pull for the team to win they pull for a high draft pick. :flagwave:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I do really like Flournoy. He’s honestly the rookie prospect I’m most excited to watch.

Fairly tall, thicc WR who is an athletic freak that can jump out of a building? Check. (Seriously, look at his RAS).

Uses his size to routinely bully CBs on the outside? Check.

Has vice-grip hands and rarely ever drops a pass, and can adjust to the ball mid air in incredibly athletic fashion? Check.

The only thing I don’t like about Flournoy is that he’s going to turn 25 in October.

But as far as play style goes, there isn’t another WR on the roster like him. He’s the closest thing we’ve had to Dez Bryant since… Dez Bryant.

gtb1943

Reaction score
If a player has a big contract, they’re usually the best player you have at that position. If it was up to some fans on this board, they would dump all the big contracts and play young players regardless if they’re ready and deserve to be out there. Some fans want the Cowboys to lose every week. Apparently that’s a fun season for them. They don’t pull for the team to win they pull for a high draft pick. :flagwave:
and some people think a big contract means they are the best players. Look how long DLaw was paid above his worth.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I do really like Flournoy. He’s honestly the rookie prospect I’m most excited to watch.

Fairly tall, thicc WR who is an athletic freak that can jump out of a building? Check. (Seriously, look at his RAS).

Uses his size to routinely bully CBs on the outside? Check.

Has vice-grip hands and rarely ever drops a pass, and can adjust to the ball mid air in incredibly athletic fashion? Check.

The only thing I don’t like about Flournoy is that he’s going to turn 25 in October.

But as far as play style goes, there isn’t another WR on the roster like him. He’s the closest thing we’ve had to Dez Bryant since… Dez Bryant.
So what if he is 25? we can get one really good contra out of him which is all that matters

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
and some people think a big contract means they are the best players. Look how long DLaw was paid above his worth.
They are your best players, which is why they’re getting big contracts. DLaw is still one of our best players. If there was a better player behind him, he wouldn’t still be here. If a big salary player isn’t cutting it anymore their team is moving on.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'd say after the top two. Tolbert hasn't proven anything yet.
Please don't underestimate what Turpin can do if they actually use them correctly... They use CD Lam less than the slot and some packages and brought in Turpin

I think we're covered at #3 as well...

I mean how many targets do you think they're gonna get anyway??? that's gonna be my response yearly everyone's concerned about the number three wide receiver is absolutely a non-concern..

they're going to go to wide receiver one, wide receiver 2, TE1 , running back out of the backfield, and then maybe some mop up duty by wide receiver #3 there's not enough targets to go around in most offenses for the third wide receiver....:popcorn:

gimmesix

Reaction score
Please don't underestimate what Turpin can do if they actually use them correctly... They use CD Lam less than the slot and some packages and brought in Turpin

I think we're covered at #3 as well...

I mean how many targets do you think they're gonna get anyway??? that's gonna be my response yearly everyone's concerned about the number three wide receiver is absolutely a non-concern..

they're going to go to wide receiver one, wide receiver 2, TE1 , running back out of the backfield, and then maybe some mop up duty by wide receiver #3 there's not enough targets to go around in most offenses for the third wide receiver....:popcorn:
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Turpin ends up getting the most snaps at WR3. The only hesitancy is having two receivers out there who are small in Cooks and Turpin, but if they can create separation, that's all that matters.

gimmesix

Reaction score
For sure. All of our DEs under Quinn sucked at run defense, except for the incomparable DLaw. Not much size and not much discipline. They just wanted to get upfield.

Kneeland's a butt kicker. He's got the toughness and the physical skillset to become a real impact player against the run, and I think he just needs game reps to learn to diagnose.
I know some fans are eyeing him as DLaw's replacement, which he might eventually be, but I think he could be a good complement to Lawrence at RDE on those early downs because both can play the run and might be able to generate some pressure as well when teams pass in running situations instead.

We don't need to wear Parsons out at end by playing him there on early downs and while Sam Williams has looked good at times against the run, I just don't see the down-to-down discipline there to maintain integrity instead of getting sucked in. Now, we could go with one of our tweeners there (Golston or Fehoko), and I believe we will at times to give Lawrence and Kneeland a break, but I feel like Kneeland brings a more well-rounded game to the spot ... if what I've read about him and seen proves accurate.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dowdle when healthy is the best RB on this team. However one of these rookies could develop on the PS and be a future starter/ contributor.

No matter what any of these young wr's look like in camp they won't get many looks in real games. Too many better players in front of them. CD, Turpin, cooks, fergy, even schoonmaker all more realistic options with the game on the line.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
If only Jerry doesnt allot playing time based on the contract,we can see these potential .
Zeke will be the starter and we have no choice. No matter how bad he looks, that's exactly what the cowboys had planned all along. They didn't address it because they don't want the fans to call for a high dollar free agent, or a draft pick to start over him. Nepotism at its finest.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I predict Dowdle claims the top rb spot based on performance, but Zeke heavily in the mix. The line will be physical and compliment a physical back.

Mazi is unfortunate, but I don't expect a rebound. There's more to his story that we aren't privileged to.

Overshown becomes an immediate contributor and shines at times. The oline gels and is a more physical, better version of what we've had the last couple seasons.

All and all this draft pays immediate dividends. I won't predict getting past the divisional round though. I don't believe we are currently there. Maybe later in the year we will be.

Lance will make some plays but struggle with consistency and by no means be considered a replacement for Dak.
Good luck with the Lance prediction.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke will be the starter and we have no choice. No matter how bad he looks, that's exactly what the cowboys had planned all along. They didn't address it because they don't want the fans to call for a high dollar free agent, or a draft pick to start over him. Nepotism at its finest.
Zeke is 3rd rusher in team history.

4 TDs behind TonyD.

We will be ok.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Hope Kneeland proves his draft status. The defense in general, is going to be interesting to watch as it will be totally different. Usually in preseason games you only get basic vanilla looks but with Zimmer’s defense we haven’t even seen what that is. And I really hope one of these RB’s show up. Won’t be long now.
AA gap scheme.

JBS

Reaction score
the third WR is mostly depth as the number of times you have three of them out there is not that great when you have a very good receiving TE and we do
so the #4 WR is really just depth and to be blunt it takes injuries for him to matter unless he blows the doors off in training camp

As regards RB, you never really know who will get hot and stand out
or maybe the whole bunch will stink
until the pads come on its all just hot air
Except this is all incorrect

If you time the third WR doesn’t get on the field , you have no clue

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Turpin ends up getting the most snaps at WR3. The only hesitancy is having two receivers out there who are small in Cooks and Turpin, but if they can create separation, that's all that matters.
Has nothing to do with their side I get it but both of them surprisingly haven't missed many games in their careers... So this is more about how they're utilized properly in my opinion they didn't use ****** phone and Turpin last year enough they didn't use Pollard in the right manner Rico should have been starting no not getting the majority of the snaps but just used in the first down goal line and short yardage more and not try to hammer Pollard in there all year to prove he's worth $10 million...

It's great it is it was to get the second seed take the division from the Eagles again another twelve win season somehow I look back and it could have been better and I blame the head coach and offensive coordinator as far as not making this offense more quickly dominant and they could have done more I think they could have been more productive and I realized they led the league in scoring and whatnot but they didn't use the running backs properly and I don't believe they use Vaughn interpret enough as weapons this is the difference between you see guys like Andy Reid, Shannahan, and McVay and some of the others that literally see guys like them and make defenses pay to run around and chase them around all day...

And while I'm targeting Mr. McCarthy gonna say that lamb did not need to be used so much coming out of the backfield as a running back and motioning and beating him up anymore this dude was our #1 elite wide receiver he didn't need that work I believe we could have got the same production if not more they use deuce Vaughn and Turpin in that same manner and I hope to see that this year a much more versatile harder to read offense.... I realize he doesn't like to use running backs in the traditional manner and that's OK but you can utilize them as weapons moving around out of the backfield and making the defense tired by chasing them around because of the more motion you have the more the defense has to move around and try to cut through traffic and get to guys... In the fourth quarter all of a sudden those dudes are giving up big plays...​