$20.9 in dead money against the cap next year

AbeBeta

Reaction score
there is always going to be dead money when you cut guys who got signing bonuses -- the key to structuring contracts well is that you get to a point, usually after three years, where you actually save more by cutting the player. For example, you might have 20 mill in dead money, but the cap charge on those players would be closer to 40 million if they were still around then. The idea of "dead money" may be undesirable -- but it sure beats keeping "dead weight" around

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
AbeBeta;4013370 said:
there is always going to be dead money when you cut guys who got signing bonuses -- the key to structuring contracts well is that you get to a point, usually after three years, where you actually save more by cutting the player. For example, you might have 20 mill in dead money, but the cap charge on those players would be closer to 40 million if they were still around then. The idea of "dead money" may be undesirable -- but it sure beats keeping "dead weight" around

amen to the "dead weight" comment

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Can someone point me to Adam's post clearing up the deadmoney panic? I can't seem to find it and I am in a fight w/ a Bronco fan atm.

Might need backup

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CoCo;4013309 said:
I don't think we know for certain yet what we will ultimately do in free agency.
  1. Free - check
  2. Kosier - check
  3. Bowen - was it more than his perceived value? what other choices are available with those $ ?
The above is all we know right now along with stories of interest or no-interest in various FA's.

RW11 aside, & despite their big-spender reputation, I think Dallas is generally very discriminating about who they want, think is good value etc. They will go hard after who they're sold on. But they don't spend for spending sake like maybe the Skins are apt to do.

I tend to think Adam was right when he said our cap COULD be managed to allow us to secure whoever we targeted. But that doesn't mean we'd necessarily spend just because we had need and bodies were available. They have to be the right fit and right value.

We shall see.

I'm pretty certain we are not going to be making moves on high priced FA

Stephen Jones:
Obviously, we'd like to improve that position if we can," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "That's one of our priorities. It's obviously something we're working on. We'll see. Whether, it's one or two, I don't know the answer to that. It could be three. You have to see, at the end of the day, whether things are going to work out and what's available and what fits for us. We're still very confident we can get the help there that we need."

I think in any market, you have players who in the first part of it, right out of the bag, you see some deals that are big," Jones said. "They all can't make big money at the end of the day. There's salary caps. We knew that would probably happen. I wouldn't say we're surprised. It happens. I think at some point, as it has in the past, those things start to -- after everybody gets their main priorities where they were going to spend money -- then you have your next level and your next level, and those things work themselves out."

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ope-to-add-a-safety-or-two.html#ixzz1TRF7zpRX

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Dallas;4013385 said:
Can someone point me to Adam's post clearing up the deadmoney panic? I can't seem to find it and I am in a fight w/ a Bronco fan atm.

Might need backup

Adam was only making the point that the dead money is still not as much as those players were set to count against the cap in 2012 so, in essence, Dallas will still be ahead. The fact is that that much dead money sucks but it had to be done to remove those players and those contracts from the lockeroom. Just tell your Broncos friend that Dallas will be so far under the cap in 2013 that his team might as well go home when free agency starts.

CoCo

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4013395 said:
I'm pretty certain we are not going to be making moves on high priced FA

Stephen Jones:
Obviously, we'd like to improve that position if we can," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "That's one of our priorities. It's obviously something we're working on. We'll see. Whether, it's one or two, I don't know the answer to that. It could be three. You have to see, at the end of the day, whether things are going to work out and what's available and what fits for us. We're still very confident we can get the help there that we need."

I think in any market, you have players who in the first part of it, right out of the bag, you see some deals that are big," Jones said. "They all can't make big money at the end of the day. There's salary caps. We knew that would probably happen. I wouldn't say we're surprised. It happens. I think at some point, as it has in the past, those things start to -- after everybody gets their main priorities where they were going to spend money -- then you have your next level and your next level, and those things work themselves out."

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ope-to-add-a-safety-or-two.html#ixzz1TRF7zpRX

Yeah, I read that.

My point is that it's not 2012 dead money that's the key impediment to our FA spending. It's matching value with need. The quotes from Stephen reference that point as well. oF course he said it first. :)

Some fans crave name signings without regard to value.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
PAINFROMUKRAINE;4013312 said:
I guess Dan Snyder is the All Time Cap Guru. Free Agent Signings every year and he totally avoids Dead Money in future Years (Rumor is he was over 30 Million Under the Cap before his 2011 Shopping Spree). There must be a "Very" Soft Cap in the CBA Agreement Cap or Snyder is the Poster Child for Salary Cap Management.

The skins were bailed out by the labor situation. Two years ago, they had basically run their course and were in dire straights cap wise. If you remember, the owners had a meeting in which they had to decide on opting out of the CBA or continuing it. If they had voted to continue it, the skins were set to be more than $40 million over the cap and would have had to cut a bunch of players within a matter of days. However, the owners opted out and that created the uncapped years. That saved the skins rear end. Now fast forward to the new CBA. Teams were told the entire time that they would be held accountable for all salaries dumped during the uncapped years. Well, Jerry held onto his players opting to see what happened while Snyder dumped alot of guys anyways. The new CBA did away with any accountablility to what you did in the uncapped years so once again, the skins escaped serious cap consequences and are now in great cap shape. Jerry did not dump the dead weight players and now Dallas has to account for all that salary against the cap. So, you can see that all that happened was the skins got lucky twice.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CoCo;4013431 said:
Yeah, I read that.

My point is that it's not 2012 dead money that's the key impediment to our FA spending. It's matching value with need.

Some fans crave name signings without regard to value.

No but we had to cut guys just to get under the cap then once you get some of our own signed I did not feel that we would then turn around and go out and hit big name FA. I fully expected Dallas to look at mid level players who can come in and help fill some of these areas of needs and even that is going to be some what limited.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let me just say I don't think you need to go out and grab high priced FA to improve the team.

CoCo

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4013477 said:
No but we had to cut guys just to get under the cap then once you get some of our own signed I did not feel that we would then turn around and go out and hit big name FA. I fully expected Dallas to look at mid level players who can come in and help fill some of these areas of needs and even that is going to be some what limited.

I don't really disagree with you. I'm only saying that Stephen has referenced "value" as an operating principle regardless of current cap standing. He and Jerry have actually been saying this for a couple years. Early signings are not good value.

Regarding our cap room in 2011 & 2012, those things can be more flexible than they appear. Especially when $20 MM is set to come off in 2013.

All that said, I still think its possible we'll drop some decent coin to secure a couple DE's. Its a risky waiting game for us now with Bowen gone and our cupboard so bare.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The dead money for Williams, Davis, Colombo and Barber will be $20.967 million in 2012. They were scheduled to count $34.27 million against the 2012 cap.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
AdamJT13;4014234 said:
The dead money for Williams, Davis, Colombo and Barber will be $20.967 million in 2012. They were scheduled to count $34.27 million against the 2012 cap.

And just saying, take the dead money, add the cap hits for the people replacing them next year, and I am sure it will still be less than the hit we were going to take for them.

For example, dead money plus cap hit for Ogletree, Arkin, Tyron Smith and Murray will be be less than than the 34.27 million.

It's NOT a big deal. Throw in likelihood that cap will go up next year.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
AdamJT13;4014234 said:

My guess wasn't far off.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$20 mil in dead money is a lot.

Some bad decisions were made that led to that.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4016721 said:

Yeah Jerry trading for Roy paying him big dollars, signing Davis and Barber to huge contracts.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2233boys;4016741 said:
Yeah Jerry trading for Roy paying him big dollars, signing Davis and Barber to huge contracts.

When Jerry gets desperate bad things can happen...

I don't regret the Davis signing. The team needed a good quality guard and couldn't develop one to save their lives. And Davis played well for a couple of years. I still think the soft training camp last year was the last thing a guy, who plays a little too big and matches that with bad technique, needed.

Roy's trade and sign was complete desperation... "Joey Galloway II". You would have thought this organization would have learned something.

And the Barber contract... Just insane. RB's are one of the easiest things to find and then you combine that with Barber's running style (which doesn't lend itself to a long career) and you have a shoddy signing.

Sometimes Jerry does a good thing, sometimes he doesn't.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4016721 said:

I don't really agree. People who get overly focused on that dead money are failing to understand that the structure of the cap - particularly what counts against the cap -- makes the dead money issue mostly irrelevant to a team's ability to sign whoever they want so long as we aren't hitting 50 or 60 mill in dead space