$20.9 in dead money against the cap next year

CoCo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4017005 said:
When Jerry gets desperate bad things can happen...

I don't regret the Davis signing. The team needed a good quality guard and couldn't develop one to save their lives. And Davis played well for a couple of years. I still think the soft training camp last year was the last thing a guy, who plays a little too big and matches that with bad technique, needed.

Roy's trade and sign was complete desperation... "Joey Galloway II". You would have thought this organization would have learned something.

And the Barber contract... Just insane. RB's are one of the easiest things to find and then you combine that with Barber's running style (which doesn't lend itself to a long career) and you have a shoddy signing.

Sometimes Jerry does a good thing, sometimes he doesn't.

Really good post. Agree on most counts.

I'm cutting a bit more slack on Barber's deal though. There was a time, not long ago, when the league viewed RB more like Emmitt, LT etc. The transformation to "committee" thinking was not quite complete back when Barber was re-signed. Evidence Michael Turner getting a similar deal from Atlanta that same offseason.

Was I a huge Barber fan back then, thinking he'd be worth those $? Honestly no. I just don't think the move was considered as absurd then as it looks now.

CoCo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4016721 said:
$20 mil in dead money is a lot.

Some bad decisions were made that led to that.

Again, I agree.

After Adam's long discourse a couple weeks back though I am less concerned about the impact those $ will have on our future plans. I think it'll be manageable. But it sure lessens the room to make further mistakes eh? And there will always be mistakes.

For the first time in how many years I can honestly say that I am envious of the Commanders, only because of how the CBA unfolded in a manner that gave them a get out of jail free card. All those big mistakes, wiped out. Of course their team still sucks. :grin: