20 Questions: 13 - is DT still the most pressing need

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said.

This goes way back, for some very odd reason fans just cannot comprehend if there is a weakness at DT. It's just weird.

As bad as the RB room is, NT is in worse shape. We have an impending bust and a 7th round pick to fill that spot. Think about that before you claim RB is worse. Dowdle looked ordinary, and Freeman is a decent journeyman. Those 2 alone are much better than what we have at NT, and it's not close.
It’s almost too painful to think about Kevin!

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly, GM is the most pressing need for this team…
But to the OP question I would say RB followed by DT.
Not sure why, Bob. Dowdle and Freeman are competent. Can you name even one player we have at NT that is competent?

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s almost too painful to think about Kevin!
Jerry hates drafting DT's. So, when he drafts one he considers that spot filled and then ignores it.

Did Jerry even notice how incredibly better we were w/ a JAG like Hankins at the nose?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Jerry hates drafting DT's. So, when he drafts one he considers that spot filled and then ignores it.

Did Jerry even notice how incredibly better we were w/ a JAG like Hankins at the nose?
Hankins was not a JAG. He was a good player. Not Pro Bowl or even all that close, but certainly better than what we have had there for years. IF we had two of him there at DT we would be in decent shape, Now we do not even have one.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hankins was not a JAG. He was a good player. Not Pro Bowl or even all that close, but certainly better than what we have had there for years. IF we had two of him there at DT we would be in decent shape, Now we do not even have one.
Ok, JAG is a grey term and it depends on how you define it.

I agree that he is a good solid player. Not resigning him made no sense.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If the offensive line is good you can possibly get away with these backs. You can’t hide poor interior play though.
Even if we had the the offensive line from 92-95 we aren't going to be able to run the ball with these backs.

That line from the 1990s still needed an Emmitt Smith to run the ball. Emmitt's back ups never seemed to run the ball effectively at all. Thankfully, it was rare they were asked to.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It’s a concern, but I have more confidence we’ll have more success running the ball, than stopping the run. At least we’ve added some pieces on the OL that could help the running game. If anything causes us to struggle this season, it will be the defense and our inability to stop the run. Having to go with Mazi is very worrisome.
We aren't going to run the ball or stop the run effectively this year. It has already killed our season barring some idiotic, future destroying, desperation trades of draft picks.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Not sure why, Bob. Dowdle and Freeman are competent. Can you name even one player we have at NT that is competent?
Define competent.

Is it enough to get anything done at all?

Can any RB we have make 80 yards on 20 carries? If none of them can do that then they won't get it done in a committee either.

I'm not saying our DT situation is better, just that our RB situation is also the worst in football, and likely the worst in team history.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Even if we had the the offensive line from 92-95 we aren't going to be able to run the ball with these backs.

That line from the 1990s still needed an Emmitt Smith to run the ball. Emmitt's back ups never seemed to run the ball effectively at all. Thankfully, it was rare they were asked to.
It’s 2024 and it’s a passing league. Not saying this attack will be top 5 but at this point we just need a decent one to keep the defense honest. If the offensive line can’t block it doesn’t matter who’s running the football.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Define competent.

Is it enough to get anything done at all?

Can any RB we have make 80 yards on 20 carries? If none of them can do that then they won't get it done in a committee either.

I'm not saying our DT situation is better, just that our RB situation is also the worst in football, and likely the worst in team history.
Well we at least have guys who have gotten 20 carries on 80 yards….i can’t say for seen a nose tackle do anything here.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We cant say until the season goes. If Mazi stinks, the yea, its the most pressing need. If he plays like you hope a 1st rd pick this season, than we are good.

But when you drafted a player with a 1st rd pick, him starting is the logical progression after year 1.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
And I keep coming back to this serious off-season question: What did we do to address the multiple years problem of not being able to consistently stop the run?

I know we signed a 32 year old LB in Eric Kendricks. We drafted a rookie DE Marshawn Kneeland who is supposed to be good against the run. But is that really addressing the problem? Obviously time will tell. Maybe Mazi and Osa develop more and become better answers. Maybe Mike Zimmer‘s coaching and scheme will help.

But if I’m being honest and not homering, I don’t see us having the DL and LB talent to be appreciably better against the run In 2024. Hope I’m wrong.
The one diff between Zimmer and Dan Q is LB corps , it won’t be safeties dressing up like LBs , so the DL as a whole will be better against run , but DQs scheme helped against pass.
We hav DEs decent sized , Sam will , kneeland , Lawrence and Parssons when he doesn’t play hero ball.
Mazi was supposed to have the size but don’t know why DQ and others asked him to lose weight ?
Osa is good in 3T position , but run stopping role purely may not be able to hold up. So we need some good rotation with couple of NT type road blockers , if Mazi develops into one , we still need another one for rotation

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We aren't going to run the ball or stop the run effectively this year. It has already killed our season barring some idiotic, future destroying, desperation trades of draft picks.
No one knows how it’s going to go this year. We’ll get a good idea when the regular season starts. With your attitude don’t know why you even bother following the team. You’ve already given up on the season.

gtb1943

Reaction score
No one knows how it’s going to go this year. We’ll get a good idea when the regular season starts. With your attitude don’t know why you even bother following the team. You’ve already given up on the season.
because he is being honest about last year and several years before that and how little has been done in this offseason unlike the pollyannas

gtb1943

Reaction score
Ok, JAG is a grey term and it depends on how you define it.

I agree that he is a good solid player. Not resigning him made no sense.
my definition of JAG is a guy who cannot start for a good team

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Curious. Why would you name Mazi? I mean, so far he's been terrible. What have you seen that makes you think we couldn't find his equivalent +?

Completely agree w/ why this position is so hard to fill in FA. And it's why when players such as Wilkins and DJ Reader hit the market, they get big contracts. Cincy gave Reader 13 mil/season and he was a big part of their super bowl appearance.
Relatively speaking, Mazi is still probably the second best DT on the roster. So anyone worth going out to get would be someone worth challenging for snaps from a starter.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
because he is being honest about last year and several years before that and how little has been done in this offseason unlike the pollyannas
He’s being honest? He’s claiming our season is already dead. You agree with that? Training camp hasn’t even begun. :rolleyes:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Problem is DT isn’t a position like WR or CB or TE where teams have talented depth they don’t need. If anyone has a backup DT that’s a stud, they’re going to hold onto him. Especially now that so many teams do the rotation thing.

There’s no way you’d find a DT available that’s on par with Mazi or Osa, and if it’s a reserve level guy, then just go with what you got. Theres a reason it’s been hard to fill that spot, because other teams clutch those guys like pearls.

You never hear about a DT missing camp because of a contract dispute like CeeDee or Zeke or Bosa because they get paid. Thats why Christian Wilkins was such a unique opportunity this offseason; Dolphins couldn’t afford him and the Raiders struck gold. No, He’s not the best DT in the world, but it’s about the haves and the have nots.
The DT from Washington got paid too I think, yeah I hear you. The DT doesn't have to be a stud, but could be a player with high potential in a crowded position room. Or if anything get us a big bodied guy that can hold his own

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we continue to struggle against the run, we’re going to keep losing to good teams in critical games. Any hopes of a deep playoff run are dashed if you can’t stop the run. That’s a clear sign your defense is being dominated. No one could run on our championship teams. We forced teams to throw the ball and got after the QB.