20 Questions: 14 - what are the realistic expectations for Zeke

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/14-what-are-realistic-expectations-for-zeke

I think the combination for all 3 answers are pretty good. He will contribute, but can't do it alone, nor as a full time #1 RB.

Red Zone, short yardage and pass protection, he still has it. But no way he is a 1,000 yard RB anymore. But he can still get them 7 to 10 TD's this year, as that is what they missed.

The RBBC if it works well with Rico and others, need to give Dak just enough to work the passing game, it can be successful, as they discuss as well.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

I think the combination for all 3 answers are pretty good. He will contribute, but can't do it alone, nor as a full time #1 RB.

Red Zone, short yardage and pass protection, he still has it. But no way he is a 1,000 yard RB anymore. But he can still get them 7 to 10 TD's this year, as that is what they missed.

The RBBC if it works well with Rico and others, need to give Dak just enough to work the passing game, it can be successful, as they discuss as well.
With the concentrated competence in our FO i would say:

6 years / 91 mils. 65 fully guaranteed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest concern with Zeke is that he will be overused. If it's a RBBC then run it that way. Don't be a Zeke and the rest of the RB corp offense.

My 2nd biggest concern is the running scheme. If it's not significantly upgraded from last year it won't matter what RB is on the field.

On the OL, upgrading the center position is a really good start. I expect Steele to return to the pre ACL form which is an upgrade as well.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My realistic expectations for Zeke:
  • Will avg 3.7 ypc.
  • Has no burst so no ability to make splash runs of 10 yards or more.
  • Will be a decent short yardage/goal line runner
  • Still a good pass blocker.
  • Average ability as a receiver out of the backfield
If Zeke is relied upon for more than 10 touches a game, this offense will be punting often. The even bigger problem for this team as currently constructed is there is no other RB that can threaten a defense thus putting more pressure on the passing game.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If Zeke is relied upon for more than 10 touches a game, this offense will be punting often. The even bigger problem for this team as currently constructed is there is no other RB that can threaten a defense thus putting more pressure on the passing game.
Check the numbers. His yards per attempt production is literally some of the worst in the entire history of the NFL. I am not even kidding. Throwing the ball to Zeke was some of the worst offensive production mankind has ever seen.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
3rd and1. 4th and 1. Goal to go inside the 2. If not one of these situations, he shouldn't be in the game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

600 yards rushing 5 TDs, 3.4 ypc, 22 receptions, 120 yards.

Mcsports

Reaction score
  • Will avg 3.7 ypc.
  • Has no burst so no ability to make splash runs of 10 yards or more.
  • Will be a decent short yardage/goal line runner
  • Still a good pass blocker.
All excellent points.
Running backs don’t find fountain of youth after this much wear and tear.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
600 yards rushing 5 TDs, 3.4 ypc, 22 receptions, 120 yards.
Seems like a reasonable guess to me. IMHO any reasonable person would picture this as a likely outcome. IMHO only an insane person would decide this is a good enough expectation and proceed. It is basically willingly deciding to have a putrid and stagnant offense. And some people think management doesn't prioritize things other than winning. This is all the proof you need.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's face it...only a very few current NFL Rb or a couple totally stud rookies would help this offense. Big Dog has already outlined things that MUST happen, regardless of zeke.

The o-line and run-blocking and scheme process MUST be greatly improved. Dak will also benefit by it.

I'm positive Zeke will once again be the scapegoat if not.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Also, have him in on obvious passing 3rd Downs to pass protect.
I mean why not an extra TE instead or another OL? An RB who can block is nice but it is pointless if they are not a receiving threat as well. It leads to a very predictable offense that a good opponent will take advantage of. Isn't that exactly what we struggle with because we continue to make these same mistakes?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The thing about Elliott the last two years he was here is that he started strong, but then got beat up (particularly in the knees) and faded. I don't know if we can do enough with the RBBC to keep him healthy throughout the year because it seems that players reach a point where those injuries just add up and are easier to get.

I fully expect Elliott to start and be the main back, if for no other reason than we have no other backs who have proven that they can be effective starters. But if we rely on him for more than 15 carries a game, I believe it will lower his effectiveness.

I have said before that I believe the inside zone blocking scheme that our offensive coordinator/OL coach favor is suited for his running style and ability, but it's hard to say what he has left. His last two years have been under 4 yards per carry, and even though for fun I've predicted him averaging 4.5 this year, it's hard to expect him to be over 4 at this point.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I have a feeling that Zeke will have a pretty good year. 1,000 yards in 17 games is not out of reach. That's only 58 yards a game

CWR

Reaction score

He can get 1k. The question is how many carries will it take.