20 Questions: 14 - what are the realistic expectations for Zeke

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He can get 1k. The question is how many carries will it take.
And what does the offense look like if he does. Zeke getting 1000 yards means our offense is in a stagnant death spiral that will end with a beat down at the hands of a quality play off team. Am I the only one that can see this?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can get 1k. The question is how many carries will it take.
Depends if the o-line can make a hole or not. It took Pollard 15 carries a game to get his 1K yards last year.

Neither he nor Zeke has had good blocking the last few years (that includes Pats), maybe since Travis left. That has to change regardless who's running.

Reactions: CWR

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And what does the offense look like if he does. Zeke getting 1000 yards means our offense is in a stagnant death spiral that will end with a beat down at the hands of a quality play off team. Am I the only one that can see this?
Probably :laugh:

Pollard got 1000 yards last year. Was the GB game HIS fault too?

CWR

Reaction score
What would lead you to believe you are the "only one" on a board full of fans screaming to fix the run game and run defense?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're not the only one to take the negative route. Most around here will. Probably the way to go, but I think him having 1k yards means we won't be as predictable.

blueblood70

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/14-what-are-realistic-expectations-for-zeke

I think the combination for all 3 answers are pretty good. He will contribute, but can't do it alone, nor as a full time #1 RB.

Red Zone, short yardage and pass protection, he still has it. But no way he is a 1,000 yard RB anymore. But he can still get them 7 to 10 TD's this year, as that is what they missed.

The RBBC if it works well with Rico and others, need to give Dak just enough to work the passing game, it can be successful, as they discuss as well.
800yards 3.8 YPC 8 tds add in the rest of thr RBBC and hope the bigger plays come from Pete, Rico, Vaughn or X? IMHO N.Pete reminds me of pollard young underused in college, so fresh legs, but can do some inside work but best stretch him out a bit on the edges. many choices to fill this RBBC out..i hoe they give Pete a real shot nit the Clusterf of nonsense last year as they misused all backs and DV never got shot.

all truly hinges on the run scheme and OL blocking..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My biggest concern with Zeke is that he will be overused. If it's a RBBC then run it that way. Don't be a Zeke and the rest of the RB corp offense.

My 2nd biggest concern is the running scheme. If it's not significantly upgraded from last year it won't matter what RB is on the field.

On the OL, upgrading the center position is a really good start. I expect Steele to return to the pre ACL form which is an upgrade as well.
What’s the issue with the running scheme? Why is it not working?

blueblood70

Reaction score
What’s the issue with the running scheme? Why is it not working?
Listen that the issue here we don't know what they're gonna run in the runs game but whatever they did last year didn't work Mike McCarthy literally dropped the football when he didn't scheme the right plays for the run game with the offensive lineman matched with the proper running back...

He wasted opportunities to really use deuce Vaughn not just in clean up or when it didn't matter but actually utilized him as a weapon just to get him some more help same way with hunter as the lead fullback they didn't use them enough and they use Pollard as a number one guy as if he was a zekiel Elliott from 2018 they made Tony the number one back and he put him in almost every situation except the ones that he could benefit the most from he should have never been the lead back in a way that you would have had used a leaguer Elliott they took Tony pollard's special abilities away by pounding him all up the middle and using them in short yardage so yeah the scheme would be come from whoever is calling the place and bringing in the packages and that would be one Mike McCarthy both the offensive coordinator and the head coach...

In my opinion it was Mike McCarthy's fault that our run game look like a disjointed just scatter brain thoughtless worse than Kellen Moores.. At least Kellen Moore knew how to use Ezekiel Elliott like they probably should have used Rico dowdell and then let Tony come in behind dowdell just like he did Elliot I mean you could have gave him more carries then he was used to but not the situations he was put in Tony just wasn't himself we paid the man $10 million for what we saw last year was a complete waste...​
This starts and ends with Mike McCarthy and this is one of the reasons he's a lame duck coach this year it wasn't just because of the playoff situation I don't think he realized how to utilize the run game with the proper play calls matched with the proper running back it's like they really wanted to get Tony out there to prove he can be a number one back and you wasted the whole season without realizing that he is not the three down tight back and he should have been in the same situations that he was behind zeke just with a few more carries Rico should have been in Ezekiel elliott's old role with even more hunter if they would get the ball more to our full back in short yardage and goal line he'd have been comfortable everyone's all yelling about that fumble it happens it's a it's a missed handled hand off but I think if you use them more throughout the year it would have been comfortable in those places all on Mike McCarthy all of it....imo​

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Check the numbers. His yards per attempt production is literally some of the worst in the entire history of the NFL. I am not even kidding. Throwing the ball to Zeke was some of the worst offensive production mankind has ever seen.
They didn’t sign him to be a lead back but mainly for short yardage situations.

CWR

Reaction score
You're not the only one to take the negative route. Most around here will. Probably the way to go, but I think him having 1k yards means we won't be as predictable.
It's not like he hasn't hasn't been right there before avg 3.8. The offense was still pretty good. I do believe it's not a great thing to feed him that much at that avg, but we have never been averse to force feeding rbs into the line of scrimmage.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It's not like he hasn't hasn't been right there before avg 3.8. The offense was still pretty good. I do believe it's not a great thing to feed him that much at that avg, but we have never been averse to force feeding rbs into the line of scrimmage.
The offense compiles massive regular season stats through the air. The run game is an afterthought. Running the ball is tough physical work. Not really our cup of tea.

Dak will be fantastic again. Whoever the latest 88 is will be fantastic. Cowboys will win games and will be the talk of the town. A quality play off team will expose us and quickly dispatch us.

Good offense? Bad offense? Who is to say. All depends on your taste buds I suppose.

CWR

Reaction score
The offense compiles massive regular season stats through the air. The run game is an afterthought. Running the ball is tough physical work. Not really our cup of tea.

Dak will be fantastic again. Whoever the latest 88 is will be fantastic. Cowboys will win games and will be the talk of the town. A quality play off team will expose us and quickly dispatch us.

Good offense? Bad offense? Who is to say. All depends on your taste buds I suppose.
I detect NO LIES.

It's frustrating watching this play out over and over again. Until we can start winning in the trenches come playoff times this is just a finesse team not built to win anything meaningful.

I do have hope on the o line, but our rb corps is not striking fear into anyone. We need a talent infusion at the position. I can't believe our best plan to part with Pollard was this. Smh

The interior DL is not a spot I have much hope for this year. We suck at drafting DTs in general. It's an area we'd benefit greatly from if we'd just pick up a quality FA.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke should set some goals for this season:

1. Lead the team in rushing.
2. No sacks by the guy he is blocking.
3. Most receptions by an RB on this team.
4. No suspensions by the commish's office.
5. Get invited back in 2025

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Zeke will have a pretty good year. 1,000 yards in 17 games is not out of reach. That's only 58 yards a game
The issue is. Given how bad his YPC is dropping. It may take too many Carries to get there.

If he is averaging 3.5 yards per carry. Thats 16 Carries a game to reach 1000 yards.

That’s a lot of Carries to give a back if they’re not being efficient.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
All I want to see are the chains moving. His stats mean nothing unless it's 1st down conversions. I expect that, even at this stage in his career, he can do that if the offense line is servicable.
Rookie left offensive tackles and rookie centers that played guard in college always results in a strong run game in the NFL.